Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2018, 11:56 PM   #1

Sagging fiberglass around fifth wheel hitch

HELP... I have sagging fiberglass under the front end of the trailer around the fifth wheel hitch. It is a 2007 Sierra 325RGT. I posted this before and a wonderful member stated I had a real problem and better get it in for service right away before it gets worse. That is obvious. I realize it needs to be taken care of ASAP. I am hoping to do the repair myself. I can’t afford a huge trailer repair bill. It is sagging so bad that is is pulling away from the side rubber trim frame. I just wonder if anyone has any ideas? I right now do not have a water leak. I bought it used so don’t know what happened before I bought it. But it has gotten much worse in the last two years I have had it. And I have no water leaks. I believe that after the 11 years and with no support and in the heat it is just sagging due the lack of support, it is basically hanging under there with no support at all.
I am wondering if I can screw it up to the trailer under and around the fifth wheel mount. I am not sure if there is a steal frame under the fifth wheel mount. I don’t think if I try to screw it to the wood it will support it. Has anyone had the same or similar problems. I Wonder if I can screw the fiberglass back up to the underside of the fifth wheel mound area. Or cut all the glass off and rebuild it. Ugh sounds like a lot of work. Any ideas???? Just not sure the best way to tackel it. I would appreciate any repair suggestions.
Schade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:18 AM   #2
Site Team

It would help if you posted some pictures of the piece in question. It would also help if you could get a pic or two in the pin box so we could see what's under there.

It could be, just as you say and whatever they used to attach it has let go and gluing or screwing it to the framing would fix the problem.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:27 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The undercover of my 2012 Sierra 5er was not a laminated panel, but simply a fiberglass sheet that covered the pinbox area and curved down the front side. It may have been glued in place, but not to wood or anything that would be affected by water. I don't see a problem with attaching with screws, if this is your build situation also.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:57 AM   #4

That area is pretty much out of the weather so if it were me, I'd use self tapping screws with the rubber grommets and screw into any framing member I could find on the underside.
Artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:08 PM   #5

Hate to say it, but I think you have water problems. I had my wildcat in for some other minor repairs and during the process they discovered that the plywood that the fiberglass was molded to had visible signs of water damage. I say this assuming you are talking about the fiberglass covering the bottom of the gooseneck, which also surrounds the pin box. If I were you I would get it checked out throughly before more damage is done. Good luck!
Larry Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:28 PM   #6

Smile

If I remember correct , Big Horn had a frame issue ( not limited to Big horn )
just that is what my friends had. The frame needed reinforced to correct a sag and pulled away from ( front ) body of 5er. The 3 friends all had same issue and different years of unit age , all covered by Big horn. I believe other people different type 5er had same problems.
worth checking out.
Paulwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:49 AM   #7

Had this too

I had this problem with a Rockwood Ultra Lite and found that water had traveled down the inside of the nose cone due to sealant cracking. This rotted out the timber mounting battens that this Pin Box Skin attached to. It is a messy job but yes you can handle it yourself. While you have th skin down check for any possible entry points for water, even top side lights and of course in my case the sealant between the nose cone and the roof fabric. Hope this helps
sanmarco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass, fifth wheel, hitch, wheel