Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #1

Salem Lemon? Feedback PLEASE!

I have owned an travel trailer for 10 years. I recently traded in my old trailer for a new one. In June I purhased a 2012 Salem 31' 312QBUD. I was convinced the trailer, layout and quality was superior. Still love the layout, but I feel the trailer is somehow compromised. I have used the trailer for 16 days. (not at full funtional capability) Please read the list below and tell me what you think. I have contacted the dealer as well as Forest River and their response to whatever I say is "we will make your trailer like new" and "we will fix it so it is better than new". I feel as if I will now own a "used" trailer 8 weeks into owning it not to mention the 3 weeks I have not been able to use it.

I do not know what to do. Is it industry standard for dealerships and corporations to make those claims? Is my expectation of exchanging this trailer for a new one out of the question and they can have their used "fixed better than new" trailer?????

Probelms or broken items:
1) shower/tub has leaked twice. now leaking under wall into hallway (dealer fixed, still leaking)
2) both slides leaked into the trailer and soaked carpet on first trip (dealer fixed. no leaks as of yet)
3) kitchen sink was installed improperly and would not drain (dealer fixed)
4) storage drawers (6 of them) in living, dining, and back bedrooms would not stay closed (dealer fixed)
5) carpet has staples pulling up (dealer fixed, still occurring)
6) outdoor kitchen hatch door is not square. screws have rubbed metal off in four places. wont close properly
7) 9 cabinet doors screws are stripped on hinges and cannot be tightened
8) 1 cabinet door has come off completely
9) 5 cabinet latches are loose and screws are stripped and cannot be tightened
10) floor creaks in two places when walking on it
11) outdoor shower head drips continuously
12) indoor shower system "howls" when using it
13) rear tire went flat while we were camping
14) undercarriage weather guard paneling is loose in several places and cut-out access door to electrical keeps falling off
15) awning leaks in center where it is attached to trailer
16) awning will not roll up properly. It unfurls and waffles in places
17) BOTH living room and rear bedroom couch frames have pulled out from walls. not attached to studs
18) trim falling off in 2 places
19) one storage cabinet jamb is split from improper installation of cabinet latch
20) screws are stripped on master bedroom accordian door
21) nails are poking through faux leather window and seat covers
22) tail light cover has fallen off and cannot be put back on
23) trailer will not stabilize when parked

If you are an experienced RV'er or have knowledge of the procedures and/or legalities with this type of situation, I would appreciate your feedback!

THANKS!!!!
sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
Villa Estate 392FLFB

sounds like a lemon to me. not all things are trailer related but still not fun to deal with. guessing real "fix" is to trade it in..
Old 08-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #3

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Its sad but the state of things...let FR make the camper new again! Then trade in if you can or if you even want too. Our 2011 camper is going back to the factory this coming weekend. One of the outside walls cracked. Going back for a complete rebuild. They've (FR) been real nice, should I have to go through this no, but realize this is a home that gets pulled on a bumpy Highway. With the state of the new light weight campers (light frames),causing more flex than ever. It is what it is ! If they were made perfect they would cost twice as much! Hopefully it'll get fixed to your satisfaction,as I hope mine is! Let them fix it and try to move on....I have !!

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:43 PM   #4

Sally, BigRed,
Keep us posted. Sorry both of you have these issues to deal with. Proof in the pudding will be how FR handles this.
Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #5

Sally, BigRed - Been there, done that.
After I got the latest issues fixed on my last tt, I opted to trade it in before the warranty ran out. I still believe the hit I took on trading so soon was less the the cost of repairs that I would soon be responsible for.

BigRed - Movin' on is the best advice. This is suppose to be fun, right?

Please, both of you keep us posted on how things work out.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:05 PM   #6

Like cars and trucks I guess. Some are just plain lemons. Dump it ASAP, just like you would a vehicle with multiple problems.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally View Post
Is my expectation of exchanging this trailer for a new one out of the question and they can have their used "fixed better than new" trailer?????

THANKS!!!!
Sounds like the op is inquiring about doing an "exchange" rather than a trade-in on her own.

With that list of fix-it items I would be wishing for a brand new trailer myself but I don't know what the chances of that happening would be. Hopefully it work out in the end but in the mean time it can't be much fun.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:18 PM   #8

Sally,
There is lemon law protections for RVs similar to that for your car. I have done some research on this subject as we are about to pursue the very same thing. We have a new 2011 XLR Hyper Lite Toyhauler that we purchased in March 2011. We have camped 4 times and in 5 short months, it is on its way to the dealer for the 2nd time for water leaks. They have also been to my house 2 times to work on it here. They have caulked this entire camper to try to get the leaks to stop. Eventually, that caulk is going to wear off and/or need to be re-done every so often. The walls and floors are warping from the water and it is clear that the water is wicking in the paneling. We have been told by our dealer that Forest River will tear this entire camper apart to make it right but nothing about this seems right. We think we should be offered our money back. You can take a chance to trade it in when you get things fixed but is it fair for you to take any loss on a brand new trailer? We don't think so.

The following is a website that I found regarding the lemon law:
RV Lemon Law

Good Luck to you - if we have any update on our situation, we will certainly share.
Ramster is offline   Reply With Quote