Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2018, 05:28 PM   #1

Sand

Me and my girlfriend bought a vengeance toy hauler and some time we haul it we get sand in the cargo area.we took it to a dealer and they had know idea why we are getting sand in the cargo area. what could it be?
Stewy2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:44 PM   #2

sand, like course sand or maybe just dust that covers your cycle or buggy, whatever you are hauling?

a big box going down the road at highway speeds will draw air into the box through slight openings around the back door because of pressure differences that will be even worse if any interior roof vents to the outside are open... this will be even worse if hauling down dusty roads...

Maybe add some cheap stick on weather striping around the door perimeter to seal the back door better.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 06:07 PM   #3

It looks like sand blasting sand or beach sand.we are from Central Wisconsin and we don't have sand like this around here.it looks like it coming from the tie downs it gets under the rug they give you with the camper for the cargo area.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:52 PM   #4

Did you buy it new or used, and if used, could the previous owner have had sand in the garage (from his toys) that is just moving around as you travel?
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:34 PM   #5

We bought it New
Old 12-22-2018, 03:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewy2121 View Post
Me and my girlfriend bought a vengeance toy hauler and some time we haul it we get sand in the cargo area.we took it to a dealer and they had know idea why we are getting sand in the cargo area. what could it be?
I had something that looked similar to sand under the edge of the carpet for my slide. Turns out it was the carpet backing crumbling. Never find it anywhere else; just where the carpet is.
I have a low profile wet/dry vac I keep under the bed - have to vacuum after each trip anyhow. When the carpet begins to shred I'll replace it with something more durable.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 07:47 AM   #7

while traveling, you may be pulling in dust and debris due to a 'vacuum' being created in the rear area from small/tiny air holes in the chassis and floor, especially if you leave a roof vent open. It's amazing how small particles, sand especially, can infiltrate areas of any RV because of slight misalignment of floors and walls, or missed caulking at corners, etc.

We have very fine particles that are black coming into the rear of our pusher, in the bedroom - it sits right above the diesel engine. Over the years, we've had thick layers of this 'dust' in the bedside drawers, showing on the ceiling air conditioning ducts, and even in the ceiling 'puck lights' above the bed.
After investigating, it mostly has to do with poor foaming and caulking of the areas between the chassis and the 'house' build - as the engine and road dust tends to be drawn up into the house because we leave roof vents and windows open while driving. If you took a match a held it close to one of these areas, while driving, it would probably quickly blow it out.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 07:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxkp View Post
I had something that looked similar to sand under the edge of the carpet for my slide. Turns out it was the carpet backing crumbling. Never find it anywhere else; just where the carpet is.
I have a low profile wet/dry vac I keep under the bed - have to vacuum after each trip anyhow. When the carpet begins to shred I'll replace it with something more durable.
Bet it is the carpet disintegrating also. I keep the carpet that came with my toyhauler at home since I do not use it (always hauling my bike). Every time I pick the carpet up to move it at home, I get a lot of "sand" falling out of the carpet.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:35 PM   #9
Now a "Top Member"

It could also be course sawdust you are seeing. I still have this dropping onto my cabinets. It's from drilling the wood and they don't clean up the dust before sealing the holes. Just a thought.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote