Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2011, 12:36 PM   #1

Sandpiper wiring short

A short developed in my 2002 Sandpiper during last trip to Utah. The running lights immediately blow a fuse when plugged into truck.The brake lights and turn signals are O.K. Anyone have tips where to look? Any help would be appreciated.
sandpiper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I think I would start with the easiest to get to, and that would be the rear lights to see if there is a short in the bulb socket or wires. With lights off, you could check continuity between the hot wires and trailer ground....that should indicate a short. If no luck there, then you will have to start on the marker lights.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #3

My first thought would be to remove all the bulbs. Connect and try. If it doesn't blow the fuse start putting the bulbs in one at a time, testing each time you put a bulb in. If it blows the fuse with no bulbs in, I would start with a detailed troubleshooting inspection of the wire harness from the truck to the trailer. Good luck and please keep us posted.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #4

check the little box where the cable from the truck goes in; should be a strain relief around the cable, see if it is pulled out. u could be making contact inside that box. that should be fairly easy to get out of the way. i'd start with the movable wiring first. may be a bit out there, but the inside of the female end of the cable could have a wire touching.
if that isn't it, kbrown has a good suggestion.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #5

Thanks to all for your help. I think we have found the problem. When the trailer was built, the wiring guy carelessly ran the wires thru the scotch locs and an exposed a hot wire --it seems the wires jiggled until they shorted on the aluminum siding. As soon as we pulled the lights and wires out and exposed the scotch locs the short was gone and all lights work. We will redo the scotch locks and the problem should be solved. Hopefully there are not more lights like it.
sandpiper1 is offline   Reply With Quote