Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2011, 10:47 PM   #1

Satellite Dish mount for RV

I have been looking around for a good way to mount a 18" Satellite Dish on my 5th wheel. I have looked for PVC masts that I can attach to my rear ladder as well as PVC tripods. I know I can put my dish on the ground but looking at a more secure location attached to the ladder rail or actually on the roof.

Here is an idea someone cameup with which I may try for a roof location of the dish. sat

I would like to hear what you think as well as any mods that may fit my needs as well as others.

Thanks
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:17 AM   #2

I have built the PVC stand, it works well especially when you have trees to deal with and need to locate the dish in a clear area. I have also tossed this unit up on the slide as well. I also built a temp ladder mount with the mast that came with the dish and used turnbuckles that I opened up the eyes into hooks that snag on vertical pipes of the ladder. works great if you have a fairly clear shot.

2010 Rockwood 8281SS Signature Ultra Light
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 w/6.7 Cummins
bobsquarepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:30 AM   #3

I have the usual tripod for the ground shot, which I anchor with tent pegs. But recently I installed a mast at the rear of the trailer on the roof, next to the ladder. It's a roof mount single mast that does fold down when not in use and I got it from Amazon for $20.00 (free shipping). You do have to remove the dish itself in order to fold the mast down, but I do have the option of using the tripod on the ground or the mast on the roof.
nailit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
I use the tripod----------

Iggy, as you can see I use the tripod on the ground. From the photos you can see if the dish was mounted on the roof I would not have been able to get a signal in ALL CASES. Especially if you are in a lot of trees. The father north you go the more the dish is set at a lower angle to the ground. Also, I use the oval dish, not the 18" dish for two reasons. One it will have a three head LNB for more than one receiver hookup (ACTUALLY FOUR) if you use a receiver in the living room and one in the bedroom or hookup in the storage compartment or outside. Also the oval over the 18" dish will not lose the signal as easy in a heavy rainstorm. The oval has more receive surface than the 18" dish.

The first picture is in NOVA SCOTIA, backed into a place in the CG. I had to get a gap in the trees behind me for a signal. If it had been on the top/ back of the 5 VER, I would not have been able to get a signal.

The second picture, again is in NOVA SCOTIA in a CG full of trees, If it had been mounted on the roof, I would have been unable to get a signal.

The third picture is on BAR HARBOR in Maine. Again I was backed into a CG spot the if I had my dish mounted on the back ladder or roof, I would have been unable to get a signal.

You will be able to receive your local channels up to about 150-200 miles away from your home base, after that, no local channels because of "SPOT" channel receiving of local channels.

I also use tent pegs to prevent the tri-pod from being blown over (they are the large nail type)

Iggy, just keep in mind the above information for your use. I have even received a signal through a hole in the canopy of trees I was parked in. All the time the onlooker would be saying "You will never get a signal"
I am pretty persistent. I also use a signal meter that is used by PRO'S for dish set up.

GOOD LUCK
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:12 AM   #5

Forgot to include pictures in my post above.

Here are the three pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NOVA SCOTIA 018.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	8783   Click image for larger version

Name:	NOVA SCOTIA 033.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	8784   Click image for larger version

Name:	NOVA SCOTIA 083.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	8785  
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
Old 10-24-2011, 10:38 AM   #6

Thanks for the information everyone.
I do not planon using the SAT dish a lot and more worry about theft more than anything else.
Here is a site I found that the guy came up with a PVC mount that you reverse the dish to make it a lower profile. I knid of like ot because I can put it on the roof of my rig which will be a little more secure and out of the way.

LINK to the design page for PVC DISH mount

You do have to convert the numbers a little as it is mounted upside down. See the details before the pictures.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

iggy could you also make a mount for your ladder if you have one ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
iggy could you also make a mount for your ladder if you have one ?

I guess I could but the problem would be that I need to make a solid platform attched to the ladder. I'm open to any design ideas as long as it is strong, not too heavy and can be easily removed/stowed.

You also have to make it accesable so you can make the appropriate adjustments while it is attched to the ladder. It has been awhile since I adjusted one but I know I can do it easily with my sat signal stength meter and my external power supply to poer everything up for adjustments.

Anyone have any design ideas how to mount a basic round dish to the ladder and still make adjustments. Thanks
Old 10-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #9

Watching this thread with interest.. Sorry I can't offer any suggestions other that what Daisy Boykin has already.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #10

Iggy I have made one from 1/4" plastic sheet like you use for windows I used four conduit clamps attached to the sheet that clamp to the ladder side rails so I can mount to either the top rails or the back rails I wish I had photos will have to get some to show anyway I used the original tube and mount to the plastic It also has the level built in so I can level it so far has worked in most places we have been.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
Iggy I have made one from 1/4" plastic sheet like you use for windows I used four conduit clamps attached to the sheet that clamp to the ladder side rails so I can mount to either the top rails or the back rails I wish I had photos will have to get some to show anyway I used the original tube and mount to the plastic It also has the level built in so I can level it so far has worked in most places we have been.
I would love to see some pictures. Can you use it no matter what direction you park?
Here is the one I made yesterday for my large dish.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RV_DISH_Setup_Pics 004sm.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	8833   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV_DISH_Setup_Pics 008sm.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	8834  
Old 10-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #12

I made one of those and filled it with sand. Mine has 3 legs do it won't teeter. I threw it on the roof at a BBQ contest in Kansas City in a wide open parking lot with some pretty stiff winds and it never moved all weekend. That's the part I like most and it stows easy.
fast murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast murray View Post
I made one of those and filled it with sand. Mine has 3 legs do it won't teeter. I threw it on the roof at a BBQ contest in Kansas City in a wide open parking lot with some pretty stiff winds and it never moved all weekend. That's the part I like most and it stows easy.

Like your GREAT IDEA about filling it with sand.
I think I may do that but with everything sealed I need to sut and open it up.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
Here are the three pictures.
SID

To get your signal from your SAT to the TV dis you have to do any MODs?

Did you hook it up to the SAT connection on the outside?

Where did that feed go inside and how did you hook up your receiver?

Thanks

Iggy
Old 10-31-2011, 12:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
SID

To get your signal from your SAT to the TV dis you have to do any MODs?

Did you hook it up to the SAT connection on the outside?

Where did that feed go inside and how did you hook up your receiver?

Thanks

Iggy

I use the satellite feed on the exterior of the camper. I connect the receiver to the cable outlet from concertone, set the tuner at AV1, and the TV input set to cable. Voila , picture perfect, well almost, except for the poor quality signal created as it passes through the concertone tuner. Video jumping.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 10-31-2011, 01:06 PM   #16

Rugged Brown thanks for your anwser.

I undertstand.
Use the satellite feed on the exterior

I'm not sure what you mean.
Connect the SAT receiver to the cable outlet from concertone?
Is this the one connection in the cabinet below the TV?

I understand this set the ZX700 tuner at AV1, and the TV input set to cable.

Voila , picture perfect, well almost, except for the poor quality signal created as it passes through the concertone tuner. Video jumping.
Do you mean you by passed the ZX700 and went straight to the TV?
Old 10-31-2011, 01:12 PM   #17

See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Rugged Brown thanks for your anwser.

I undertstand.
Use the satellite feed on the exterior YES

I'm not sure what you mean.
Connect the SAT receiver to the cable outlet from concertone?
Is this the one connection in the cabinet below the TV? YES

I understand this set the ZX700 tuner at AV1, and the TV input set to cable. YES, Pretty sure it was the Cable setting on the TV. Not 100%. You may have to try a couple of available input settings to be sure.

Voila , picture perfect, well almost, except for the poor quality signal created as it passes through the concertone tuner. Video jumping.
Do you mean you by passed the ZX700 and went straight to the TV? NO, I used the ZX700 Tuner
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 10-31-2011, 04:34 PM   #18

This is my sat hook up--------

This is my sat hook up. As you can see I made two small jumpers that I leave in the 5ver when I remove the receiver. If you also hook up CABLE there is no more connection other than the hook up out side or using the roof antenna. You have to select ant or cable/sat in the TV setup and do a channel search.

The cable on the left goes to "SAT IN" and the one on the right is "OUT TO TV"

I also use a audio RED/WHITE/YELLOW cable for the surround sound, as you can see in the white plate connection. The red/white/red cable also plugs into the sat receiver.

As you can see, I use key tags to label the cables so there is no screw up from bad memory!!!!!!!

I also have two old CB antenna magnets attached to the top of the cabinet interior to stick my receiver to when it is installed in the cabinet. I just leave the cabinet door open so the remote will work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sat hook up 008.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	8901   Click image for larger version

Name:	sat hook up 009.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	8902  
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
Old 10-31-2011, 05:33 PM   #19

My camper only has the one hookup on the outside for the tv. I didn't really like that with all the other stuff it does inside the walls so I drilled a small hole out the bottom of the tv area into the front storage area. I disconnected the coax from the tv in plate on the outside of the camper and connected my own. That way I have 1 wire going straight from the dish to the receiver. Great picture quality.
fast murray is offline   Reply With Quote