Old 09-01-2010, 11:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmg View Post
Here's a couple of tips regarding tuning in the signal. I kinda learned this the hard way so I hope it helps. Receivers are not all created equal. Some receive a signal right away and some take several minutes. The DTV receiver I have picks up a signal with minimal searching. We had a picture in seconds. On the other hand, the Hughes receiver takes several minutes to find the signal. On our first outing I only took the Hughes and was totally frustrated and ruined a whole afternoon. We have 2 tvs and a receiver for each. So I've learned to find the signal with the DTV receiver on one tv and then turn on the Hughes and wait several minutes for it to finish searching on the other.

Another thing I found that we don't always receive our local channels when we travel. If we're near our home base and pretty much on the same elevation and azimuth we can get them. But if the azimuth is drastically different we won't get the locals. So before you leave home don't have the receiver tuned to a local channel. Put it on ESPN or some other channel. If you have it tuned to a local channel and you're out of the receiving area for locals the receiver will search and search without finding anything. Some receivers will not allow you to change channels while it's searching. So it's best to have the receiver tuned to a non local channel before heading out. Hope all this helps someone.
With Dish Network the local channels are broadcast on what they call a "spotbeam" and will only be available within about 100 to 125 miles from your home zip code. Some folks we just met on our last camping trip also have Dish Network and they said you can call DN and tell them to broadcast the local channels to a different zip code. They said they do it all the time and there was no extra cost for it.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:58 PM   #12
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
With Dish Network the local channels are broadcast on what they call a "spotbeam" and will only be available within about 100 to 125 miles from your home zip code. Some folks we just met on our last camping trip also have Dish Network and they said you can call DN and tell them to broadcast the local channels to a different zip code. They said they do it all the time and there was no extra cost for it.
I wonder if it works the same with Directv. Were going to the Outerbanks next week, assuming they're still there, and I'm pretty sure that our locals won't work there. If so, I'll give them a call and see if they can do the same as Dish.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmg View Post
I wonder if it works the same with Directv. Were going to the Outerbanks next week, assuming they're still there, and I'm pretty sure that our locals won't work there. If so, I'll give them a call and see if they can do the same as Dish.
Good question. Report back what you find out.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:29 AM   #14

Just a couple of tips. Make sure you have not "splitter" between the dish and receiver. Dual Tuner recievers may have a DP (dish Pro) seperator on the back of the reciever with two short cables and that is fine.

Also make extra sure that your dish tripod is secured. I have seen plenty over the year that have fallen or been blown over and it breaks the welds or plastic housing on the LNB arm on the dish.

The dish is A LOT easier to tune in if the mast is perfectly plumb. That way when you move the dish from side to side to find the satellite you are not effecting its elevation.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:39 AM   #15
Jan Goldfield

Thanks folks. I appreciate the info.
Powerboatr, you used lnb as if you think I know what that is. Remember, language as if you were speaking to a 10 yo. Come to think of it, maybe a 10 yo would understand it, but and old lady who isn't all that interested in TV anyway thinks maybe you could be swearing in a foreign language.

BMG, watch out in the Outer Banks. Fiona might be vacationing there at the same time. Or perhaps Gaston.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:41 AM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Do trial set-up at home!

Jan, when you receive the kit, go ahead and set it up in you rv at home to "LEARN" on the job (TRIP) training. When setting it up I always look at where all the other SAT dishes are pointed. Always the southwest. You can go into the "SET-UP" program on your SAT receiver, enter the zip code where you are and it will give you the Azimuth (compass setting)
the elevation in degrees (a setting on the back of the dish), and the TILT to get two SAT that sit close together out in space. One is for local channels and the other is for the rest. As noted earlier, you will not be able to receive the locals after about 200 miles away from your home, but all the others will be OK. It is very important that the "mast" that supports the dish is perfectly "PLUMB" vertical in the set up. Go to a local sports shop that sells camping equipment, purchase some tent (LARGE NAIL TYPE) pegs. This is to insure that your setup does not blow over when the wind blows. This will cause your system to be setup all over again. You can also purchase large nails from your local Lowe's/ Home depot.
Practice at home will also help you find out if you need any other cable jumpers for your set up.

I just received a new dish for setup, it had a "bubble level" in the top of the dish mast already. You will need a cable jumper about 3-4' long to connect your Sat finder meter at the dish and a double male connector so as when you remove the meter when you are finished your set up. A 7/16"
wrench and a 8" adjustable wrench for connecting all the fittings.

Good luck

Sid HRH-Daisy
Old 09-02-2010, 08:19 AM   #17
Jan Goldfield

Thanks much. I certainly will set it up here first. It looks like the satellite mounted on the house is set up facing southwest, so I will follow its lead. I *think* the package I bought includes all the fittings I need, even a couple of open ended wrenches. Thanks for the tent peg idea. I would not have thought of that.

2009 Ford 150
Old 09-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Tent pegs for your antenna tripod

Jan, I was just in walmart today, they have the tent pegs in the camping department.

Sid HRH-Daisy
Old 09-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #19
Jan Goldfield

Thanks much. I have to pick up food for the Sunday BBQ, so I will just drive by the tent pegs and pick them up.

2009 Ford 150
Old 09-02-2010, 07:21 PM   #20

The LNB is the round white thingie on the end of the arm infront of the dish (it stands for Low Noise Blocker). The signal from the satellite is reflected off the dish and received by the LNB. Be careful with the LNB as it is an electronic device. Low voltage is sent from you satellite receiver (also known as an IRD) thru the cable wire (aka coax) and the electronics in the LNB (the white thingie) run off that voltage. The voltage fluctuates between 13 and 18 Volts DC (DC being like battery voltage compared to AC that comes out of you wall socket in the house). The voltage from the receiver won't hurt you, might tingle a bit. Point is, don't bang the white thingie on the dish to much. Good luck, sounds like your going to "ruff it".

kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote