Old 09-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
Jan Goldfield

Satellite in the campground

We have Dish Network here at home for our TV. To get it in the RV, could I not just buy this
DISH NETWORK 500 DP PRO QUAD TRIPOD STAND RV TAILGATING - eBay (item 120579859352 end time Sep-04-10 10:06:07 PDT)

And when we travel, just take the receiver from the house OR buy another receiver and take the card from our existing house receiver and slip it into the new one?
I am not as literate with satellites as I am with hammers and saws, so speak in words that a 10 yo would understand.

Thanks.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #2

We take our receiver with us from home when we go. The smart card and the receiver are a pair so you can't just swap smart cards if you buy a 2nd receiver.

Many times you can find dishes on craigslist that people are giving away for free. I have gotten two for free in the past. The price for the Ebay item doesn't look bad but the signal strength thingy is kinda useless as I see it. It will tell you strength, just not which satellite you are getting a signal from and that is important.

On our last motorhome I found a crank up Winegard satellite antenna and replaced the crank up over the air antenna on the roof with it. Worked great and I got the dish for only about $100 used that a guy had taken off his motorhome.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
bmg

IMO it looks like a pretty good deal for all that you're getting. We have Directv and have a similar setup. We have the Winegard MP1 dish that fits in a fold down case and a tripod. I would highly recommend the Satellite finder. I hook it up at the dish with the cable running to the receiver and then go from there to the tv. Once you do it time or 2 you'll easily locate the Dish satellite that you need and the finder lets you know when you have the strongest signal. It saves running back and forth to the tv or bringing a tv outside. BTW I've had the dish as far as 50 feet from the TT and still get a great pic. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
Jan Goldfield

I think I am gonna go ahead and order it. I called Dish Network and I can buy it from them for twice the price, so it looks like eBay is gonna get a few bucks from me.

2009 Ford 150
Old 09-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #5

i purchase my tripod and dish from a local installer $50 out the door no shipping
brianj
Old 09-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
Jan Goldfield

So, I just finished paying 80 bucks. We don't have a local installer. Nearest one is 40 miles away.

2009 Ford 150
Old 09-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #7

jan sorry i didnt see your post a few minutes earlier
most important is enjoy your rig and
brianj
Old 09-01-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
Jan Goldfield

I figured I get all the cables, etc with the eBay package, so I don't have to run all over hell and half of Georgia looking for cables et al. Because I epitomize lazy this should be a great package for me.

2009 Ford 150
Old 09-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
bmg

Here's a couple of tips regarding tuning in the signal. I kinda learned this the hard way so I hope it helps. Receivers are not all created equal. Some receive a signal right away and some take several minutes. The DTV receiver I have picks up a signal with minimal searching. We had a picture in seconds. On the other hand, the Hughes receiver takes several minutes to find the signal. On our first outing I only took the Hughes and was totally frustrated and ruined a whole afternoon. We have 2 tvs and a receiver for each. So I've learned to find the signal with the DTV receiver on one tv and then turn on the Hughes and wait several minutes for it to finish searching on the other.

Another thing I found that we don't always receive our local channels when we travel. If we're near our home base and pretty much on the same elevation and azimuth we can get them. But if the azimuth is drastically different we won't get the locals. So before you leave home don't have the receiver tuned to a local channel. Put it on ESPN or some other channel. If you have it tuned to a local channel and you're out of the receiving area for locals the receiver will search and search without finding anything. Some receivers will not allow you to change channels while it's searching. So it's best to have the receiver tuned to a non local channel before heading out. Hope all this helps someone.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondlady View Post
We have Dish Network here at home for our TV. To get it in the RV, could I not just buy this
DISH NETWORK 500 DP PRO QUAD TRIPOD STAND RV TAILGATING - eBay (item 120579859352 end time Sep-04-10 10:06:07 PDT)

And when we travel, just take the receiver from the house OR buy another receiver and take the card from our existing house receiver and slip it into the new one?
I am not as literate with satellites as I am with hammers and saws, so speak in words that a 10 yo would understand.

Thanks.

YES
we have been doing that since 1996
i have a tripod and an extra dual lnb dish,
use the same receiver. piece of pie or cake