Old 03-03-2011, 08:28 AM   #1

Satellite TV

As a part of the deal on our 280DS, we got the Winegard Carry Out system that is supposed to find the satellite. The coach has "cable" hookups and one of the choices in the box that the TV hooks into (sorry...maybe it's a booster?) has "Satellite" as a choice.

I've read where the Sat signal can't use the "cable" cable and needs different wiring. I don't see a separate connection for a Sat and I'm wondering if the existing connection/cable system can carry the Sat. signal. Any thoughts?

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #2

Hi KarenS144, It should be different wiring if u want to use cable & sat. You can use cable in but make sure the cable coming into the cabinet is hooked to "satellite in" on the sat box. We have a sat dome on top but when parked under trees I carry a small dish to set up, hook to cable line and it works perfect, hope that helps. Happy Camping!

Old 03-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
One other thing to is how many cables come out of the dome? I know that most satellite companies need mutiple LNB's(receive signal from satellites). That being said you need to bring it from mutiple LNB's to one signal cable. If you do you should be able to then run that signal cable into your RV cable/sat connection should be fine.

Before you choice it's a issue with running through side of RV. make sure to put dome outside. Hook up as your ready to use, then connect to tv, NOT through camper connections. Make sure everything works THEN run it through side of camper. Cause it maybe a issue with setup since it's your first time.

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #4

I have an in motion roof mounted satellite dish with one cable going to my exterior directv box in the side hatch & one cable going into the interior cabinet box. It is only when I park under trees or some obstruction that I use my portable dish, other than that we use the in motion dish. The winegard carryout portable dish only has one cable to hook up & you can plug into the cable hookup in rear of m-home, just make sure it is hooked directly to "satellite In" on box inside.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:45 PM   #5

We'll hook it all up once we get another receiver and see what happens. We've got a cable in connection in the back where the electric cord lives and one cable out in a storage area near the door as well as the cable connection in the front cabinet next to the TV.

We were just going to switch the card from house to coach when traveling. I can see where an adapter will be needed for the Winegard so we can plug into a regular outlet. UGH. Something else to pack and unpack!

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #6

Let us know how it works out. I have been thinking about satellite for our TT. Doe anyone know of deals out there for campers?
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #7

If there is an amplifyer in your "cable" line (which is usually common when an over the air antenna is also installed), then hooking the sat. to the cable/antenna input will not work, even with the amplifyer off. The satellite receiver sends and recieves voltage through the coax to the dish and needs to be direct and unobstructed.

Also, if you take a sat box from home, you will probably have to get into the "setup" menu of the box and change the settings to match your carry out dome.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
Let us know how it works out. I have been thinking about satellite for our TT. Doe anyone know of deals out there for campers?
I have been camping for the last 2 years with a spare 5 LNB HD Directv dish and 2 HD recievers from home. HD dish setup is really tricky and there is not much room for error when setting up your dish. You may not find all 5 satellites and thus not get all the channels you would at home. So, if HD is not a priority when camping, get a regular setup for your TT. If you have some technical knowlwdge you can get the the pieces and put your own system together. If not, a setup (either Dish TV or Directv) for RVers can be purchased. Camping World has some satellite deals going right now on DISH's etc. I purchased my spare dish on e-bay. It happened to be a dealer and I got the complete dish new in a box. I purchased a Winegard tripod from Camping World and bring receivers from home.

Directv does have packages for RVers.
Search - satellite - Camping World

DIRECTV: DIRECTV FOR TRAVELERS

Happy camping!!!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:39 AM   #9

in skimming the post, i didn't get if ur carryout was a winguard or not. i have one of the winguard that sets itself up automaticlly.
if u have the winguard carryout, it needs a dc connection as well to power the outside electronics (that part that does the search). (there are two cables to connect: one, the coax screws in; the other is a square plug in that is attached to the 12 volt supply) the dome normally comes set up for direct tv, if u have dish, it has some dip swtches inside that have to be reset for dish.
there are two outputs on the dome: one is the primary and needs to be the one connected to ur receiver. the b one is simply a second output (will allow the second receiver to view channels that r on the same sat and polarity...does not recognize any of the control signals from the receiver).
as someone stated, u will have to connect the coax directly to the receiver. u should have an external connection labeled sat. unless something has been changed, the cable connection will not not work.
one other concern (has nothing to do with the outside dish working) the sat card will only work in the receiver it was authorized in. u should get a message to this effect when u plug it into any other rec. (least this is the way it works on dish net).
the outside dome does not have to be level but it has to be stable (if u don't, the dish inside will cause wobble as it rotates).
when u plug the dc cable in u should hear the dish starting to rotate. the cable should be connected within a few seconds of connecting the dc (don't remember how much time u have but it should be in the paperwork).
i'm set up for dish net. when i plug in, the dish starts out searching for 110, 119, and 129. once it sets, the control signals from the receiver tell it what sat to change to. there is a single feed horn inside and it rotates to the sat. if u disturb the dish, u will have to repeat the set up so the locations can be reprogrammed.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:08 PM   #10

For the 12volt supply, I bought an extension cord with the cigarette lighter plug on one end and a cigarette lighter socket on the other end. Cut the plug off, installed an inline fuse on the positive lead, then attached this end to the battery. Insert a 5 amp fuse in the fuse holder. When u set up just roll it out and plug the dish into it.
Makes life easier than trying to thread the DC plug back into the trailer.