Old 11-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #1

Sattelite Receivers and FTA

So does anybody here understand FTA... Free to Air sattelite broadcasts. I think I might want to try something like this at my seasonal camper... we don't really watch much tv but now that its winter time we do occasionally go down there. Sure we have taken DVD's to watch but I was thinking it might be fun to have sattelite. At home we have cable so we don't have the ablility to grab a receiver and go to the camper. I was thinking we could do the FTA at home and at the camper. How hard is it to find the sattelites and set the system up. And the other question is, is the free stuff on fta worth looking at.

thanks
steve

Old 11-09-2008, 11:09 PM   #2

I was under the impression that the FTA boom went bust with the introduction of the smaller satellite dishs and the paid programming. I don't think there is any FTA anymore and if there is it isn't worth hauling an 8 foot diameter dish out into the woods with you to get it. Dump the cable and go with Dish Network. I didn't much like the quality of the digitized analog signal that Comcast uses around here compared to the dish. We only use cable for internet now.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:21 PM   #3
Avid outdoorsman

Actully there is a ton of fta sats and channels out there . You can use a small dish for most of them but just need the proper lnbs for the sats. Google free to air and you should be able to find lots of info.
dahmmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:33 AM   #4

We use Comcast only for internet service, I don't care for there so called digital tv service. We have Direct TV and have had very little problems in our area. With having and extra dish I keep in the camper and I take one of our recievers from home camping and in a matter of a short time I am ready to watch Satillite. I toke a light tower tri pod and removed the light from it and installed a 1" pvc coupling on the top and attached the dish to it. The tri pod stands approx 5' tall and is adjustable to get above the camper next store in a close area.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:39 PM   #5

After looking at the satellites and channels for FTA, it appears to me it's the old C-Band satellite signals. Not much programming available that I can see.

You can see the channel listing at this link.
http://www.gosatellite.com/FTA-Learn...nter-s/547.htm

2007.5 Dodge 3500 Laramie, 4WD, Dually, 6,7L Diesel
2008 Forest River Sandpiper 375QBQ
dd5087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #6

Thanks for the responses. I have been reading a lot just don't know if its worth the money to set up.... Like I said its probably cheaper to just buy or rent dvds. I don't do sattelite at the house because i get my internet and tv through cable so i was looking for an inexpensive alternative at the camper....

thanks
Old 12-02-2008, 05:47 PM   #7

With having and extra dish I keep in the camper

=========================

Where did you buy your dish?

Thanks
Old 02-25-2009, 05:22 PM   #8

For those of you interested I have 3 Direct TV single LNB Dishs and receivers that are clear for use by a new owner. Anyone interested let me know I will let the go cheap.

Donjuanss@centurytel.net
Old 02-25-2009, 07:26 PM   #9

actually FTA allows you to pick up all of Dish network channels plus more. FTA can be a hassell so I've heard. There is some work with them.
1st you need a box ,then you need a program along with a small dish with 2 LMBs. There are some free channels but most are from over seas. A friend of mine has one and he says it's pretty easy to set up once you get the hang of it. I have also heard that they are illegal thats why I stay away from it. proceed at your own risk!
Happy Trails
2005 F 250 Diesel
1 Great Wife
4 Toy Fox Terriers
camperjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:33 PM   #10
Avid outdoorsman

That makes it from fta to an illegal reciever though .

dahmmer is offline   Reply With Quote