Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2014, 05:55 PM   #1

Sealant question

So I bought new "door holders" for the exterior of my 2005 surveyor 291. A few screws is all that holds them on. My question is how do I re-seal around/behind them? I've read about butyl tape and caulk. Do I use this? Do I need to use anything in the screw holes before I put them back in? Anything around the edges AFTER I put the caulk/tape behind it? Any help is GREATLY appreciated. I'm new to repairs on my TT. THANKS!!!!
Currey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:12 PM   #2

I would only use sealers by Dicor(rv sealers) or construction/outside sealant that is used for windows. I used the construction stuff when cut a hole in my trailer to install an outside shower. Looks and is flexible after a year, never fully cured/dried.
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #3

I'm not sure what your "door holders" are, but if they have a flat side that buts against the sidewall of the TT then Butyl tape is a good thing to use. There is also a non- Butyl version of this tape. Either tape will work, Butyl is the best of the two. Do NOT use a silicon product.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz08h5 View Post
I'm not sure what your "door holders" are, but if they have a flat side that buts against the sidewall of the TT then Butyl tape is a good thing to use. There is also a non- Butyl version of this tape. Either tape will work, Butyl is the best of the two. Do NOT use a silicon product.
The door holders I speak of are what hold the exterior doors open that are attached to the outside of the camper. I'm going to lowes tomorrow to get butyl tape or caulk...whatever they have in stock. I've been told to look in both the plumbing section (for the tape) and the caulk/adhesives for the caulk.

Thanks!
Currey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:59 AM   #5

Butyl tape is typically found in the building materials and millwork sections as it is used to weatherproof exterior windows and doors as well as a flexible flashing to move water away from the interior of the walls where windows and doors are located. If all you are doing is re-installing the "door holder", I would use the butyl tape as a gasket behind the base, and silicone (exterior grade) to seal the top and sides of the base, along with the threads of the screws. Just take the time to prep the area that you are gong to seal as the sealants will only work well and last a long time if you take the time to properly clean the surface. -Beta
Beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:06 AM   #6

I ended up finding my butyl tape at the RV dealer. The issue you'll have is it comes in a larger roll. Not huge, but more than you will probably need for now. For an alternative to dicor sealant, I used OSI Quad Sealant which is available at Home Depot and it's been awesome so far. Obviously, for the roof you want a lap sealant like Dicor's lap sealant but, for what you are talking about the OSI caulk would work if you don't want to find Dicor or Proflex brand caulk for RV's.

For the screws, I'd put a dab of caulk either on the screw or if you cut the tip fine enough in the hole when you run the screw in, it will seal iit up extra too. Just don't use too much as obviously it will probably run over and make a mess.

Have fun!