Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2010, 04:25 PM   #1

Sealing Around Base of Shower Walls

Hello, All!

Living full time in my 2009 Flagstaff. Noted the gap between the tub and shower walls. I mentioned to a senior RV'er that I planned to caulk the gap. He advised against that, stating that the gap was necessary in order for moisture (behind the panels) to evaporate. The top of the walls are sealed, so I can not see how it would with the absence of air movement. I trust his judgment since he is a retired 30-year military aircraft structures mechanic (and I'm only a parts-changer).

Any one with learned input?

Please note: I will be "off the grid" for 12 days (starting tomorrow), attending to concerns.

/r,
CorpusBragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:14 PM   #2

If there wasn't caulking along the tub/wall from the factory, it is possible the senior RV'er is point-on. Without seeing your concern it's difficult to comment. But....If water is getting between tub and wall, you'll find mould and rot too. Be on the safe side and call the factory. My 2 cents
Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:13 AM   #3

Yes you do not want to caulk the space between the wall and the base. It was left that way for air movement. One of those just in case things. You may want to check the caulk around the faucett and any other places open to let water get behind the panels.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote