Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #1

Second owner - Delamination questions

Well, the dreaded delamination has occurred. An area about 12" in diameter. I don't believe this is a water issue as our 2008 Flagstaff has been under a metal canopy for almost 2 years and hasn't seen rainy weather since March of 2012. It has been washed and I've checked over caulking and roof as we are supposed to. I went out to the camper last Thursday to get a couple things out and looked around it as I always do. Yes, I've been paranoid about delamination since I heard it was a problem. No delamination last Thursday. Went out yesterday afternoon to find a 12" diameter area that was bulging. Very easy to push against until it contacts the substrate. So the question is what's the best way to deal with this as a second owner? Are there other second owners out there who have had good luck dealing directly with Forest River? If so, is there a particular contact you used? I did buy the camper from a 30 plus year old rv business locally that has been reputable. I'm not excited to pay forest river for it. Not really sure what to do. Just feeling crappy about it. The wife and kids love this camper as do I. It's pretty much perfect for us. Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.
Randy
2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 6.0l Diesel
TheFlagGang6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not liking your chances being the 2nd owner of the camper and that it's 5+ years old. There's a chance that your camper was produced when they were having some adhesive issues during the lamination process...I can recall something about that. You could try contacting Flagstaff with the VIN of the camper and see if they'll do anything. The repair is usually replacing the entire side of the camper where the delamination appears. The contact number from their brochure is 574 642 2640.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #3

Does anyone know when they were having the glue issues? I called my dealer and he was super nice as he's always been and agreed it probably wasn't a moisture issue and that typically the whole panel would require replacement. He said he would get an email to forest river with the vin # to let them know pictures are coming. Praying for the best here as we can't afford another camper.
2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 6.0l Diesel
TheFlagGang6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

It's worth a try, even if they covered some portion of the total cost. I don't recall ever seeing posted production dates, but remember it as an issue with some FRF members with 2008 campers.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote