Old 07-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #1

Security - for ourselves and our equipment - Hints???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis View Post
Definitely yes! I put locks on everything having been ripped off on at least two occasions and had the TT broken into another time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis View Post
1. Get new locks to replace your compartment locks. EVERYONE has the same CH751 key. I got these in a set that were all keyed alike:
Amazon.com: Camco 44293 5/8" RV ACE Key Baggage Lock: Automotive
You will have to measure your existing locks to get the right lengths and don't assume that all compartments are exactly the same length. Then if you want you can put your hitch in one of the compartments and it will be a little bit more secure.
2. Get locks for the hitch pin and coupler. I've heard of people coming back from dinner while on the road and finding their trailer gone. They have also been stolen right from campsites. Without locks someone with just about any hitch can back right up and drive off with the trailer. (Especially if you leave YOUR hitch laying right there on the ground.)
Hitch pin lock: Amazon.com: Master Lock 375DAT Class III/IV Snap-On Receiver Hitch Lock with 5/8-Inch Pin: Automotive
Coupler latch lock: Amazon.com: Master Lock 605DAT Solid Brass Trailer Hitch Coupler Lock: Automotive
Coupler lock: Amazon.com: Master Lock 379DAT Universal Trailer Coupler Lock: Automotive
King-pin lock (5th wheels):Amazon.com: Master Lock 387 Hi Security King Pin Semi Trailer Lock: Home Improvement
Dual purpose, chock and lock adds stability AND security: Amazon.com: BAL 28005 Deluxe Tire Chock: Automotive
3. Lock your wheels and spare. You can go to just about any auto parts store and buy lug nut locks. Or for the spare you can use a cable lock: Amazon.com: TRIMAX SPARE TIRE CABLE LOCK: Automotive
The links I posted are just examples. There are many different brands and different sizes depending on your particular RV. And most of these devices can be circumvented by determined thieves no matter what you do. But especially in a campground, they are likely to pass you by for easier pickin's since they'll likely have so many unsecured trailers to pick from. So the idea is to keep the weak-willed honest and to slow down the not-so-honest.

This is terrific information. Anyone else have some suggestions / tips / tricks for keeping themselves and their equipment safe?

days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:31 AM   #2

For personal safety keep a can of wasp spray inside your rig. It is much more effective than pepper spray as it will shoot a blinding spray directly at an intruders eyes from 20 feet away. You don't have to gEt close like you do with pepper spray. They will be temporarily blinded and crying for your help while you are calling the police. The other thing is, wasp spray is legal everywhere I know of, while pepper or bear spray may not be.
Old Guys

Old 07-25-2010, 07:30 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by old guys View Post
For personal safety keep a can of wasp spray inside your rig. It is much more effective than pepper spray as it will shoot a blinding spray directly at an intruders eyes from 20 feet away. You don't have to gEt close like you do with pepper spray. They will be temporarily blinded and crying for your help while you are calling the police. The other thing is, wasp spray is legal everywhere I know of, while pepper or bear spray may not be.
Old Guys
Wasp Spray...
12 guage shotgun...
Wasp spray...
12 guage shotgun...

Tough choice.

Oops Canada. I am SO sorry.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote