Old 01-20-2013, 07:14 AM   #1

security/gps question

hey all,

got a question on security here, me and my wife are looking at buying a rv, i have been researching alot and it seems to me security is a high priorty, so i have been looking up with no luck rvs with security allready installed, i contacted a local dealer he said he has never heard of a device to install into an rv, however i have found dewalt and rocky mountain devices,

my question is is does forest river have an option from the factory to get a system installed, so i dont have to mess with it, i am looking for rvs with the gps anti vibration detection deals, thanks in advance

Old 01-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Ummm....NO.

If you are looking for a safe house, then you shouldn't be looking at an RV.

Honestly, most RV's can be accessed with a utility knife through the wall if someone really wants in. Locks and deadbolts can be gone through with a good screwdriver....

As far as a deterent system, there are several aftermarket motion detecting systems that you could use in an RV. You need to just put into perspective that these are not made as the most secure things in the world....

(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

The title has confused me.

"Security/GPS" Are you looking for a security system to alert you to a break in or just prevent someone who stole your motorhome from finding your house and breaking in there?

There are wireless cameras that turn on when tripped and save video to an off site DVR hard drive. (Nanny Cam)

Most GPS receivers have a pin code security feature built in.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #4

sorry about the confusion i was tired last night lol, i should explain, my father had a 28 bh greywolf, 2011 it was stolen from his driveway over christmas, so me and my wife are looking at buying him a new rv, so i hope this clears up the confusion, i have found the aftermarket setups, however i do like the comfort of thinking that it was already in the rv from the factory,

also i read an article about a california crackhead who stoled a motorhome and there was a service called rvid that notified the rv dealership of the theft and they pinpointed her exact whereabouts, thru a gps locator device, i reckon that might be more realistic for a full size motorhome instead of an camper, i have read alot of great ideas and safety/security storys, so i will continue to read yalls experiances and try to secure it the best i can,

i was amazed to hear these dont have gps devices, you would think rv theft would be high, what keeps these thieves from stealing them right from the rv dealership
Old 01-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

We have OnStar in the truck and car. They make an add on unit called an FMV ("For My Vehicle") that gives you most, if not all, the services available with factory installed OnStar. Like emergency services.

https://www.onstar.com/web/fmv/home

It might just be what you are looking for.

There is also Lojack

Recovery System for Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Equipment, Cargo & Laptops - LoJack - LoJack
if you just want an RV locator.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote