Old 05-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
Question Security Question for TT Storage

Planning to put travel trailer in a public storage lot. The lot is fenced but I hear that sometimes there are theft issues. Mostly theft of batteries, LP tanks and items in storage compartments.

What precautions do you take to prevent loses? Are there locks for batteries/LP, etc? How far do most folks go to obtain reasonable peace of mind?

I am assuming we all use common sense not to keep REALLY valuable items in the TT (i.e. TV, surge protector, electronics, etc.). I am looking to use the 80/20 principle such as locking the hitch. The problem is that if you have to remove and reload everything it defeats the purpose of having a TT ready to use. The locks on the storage compartments and front doors are just not going to prevent determined entry no matter what...

2012 Ford F150 4x4, 5.0L, 3.55
2011 Rockwood MiniLite 1809s
E2 WDH 600/6000lbs
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
I store my RV on a lot for RV, boats, and trailers (350 spots). Never had a proble in 14 years. Disconnect you battery and put it in your trailer. Make sure you lock your hatches and dooors. Have someone else double check.

2013 Rockwoood 2910TS
NiteNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
First, don't leave your tanks and batteries there. I would change to the barrel type locks on all storage and compartment doors. The majority of these factory locks all use the same CH751 key which helps crooks. Changing lock type won't prevent someone from getting in, but they may pass on your unit. If your power cord is the type that goes into a "mouse hole", I'd put a locking cover on it. I think I would tend to leave the curtains/blinds open and make sure they can't see anything looking in from the outside (take TV out for sure). If they can't see anything of value inside, they may simply pass it by.

I think you can get burglar alarms for an RV but have not researched this. I would think that would help a lot, especially if you have a sticker on the outside saying there is an alarm.

RVs are simply so easy to break into with a crowbar or screwdriver. If they really want in, they will get in. If you have options of what lot to store it on, I'd check into the history of break-ins in the area and how well they patrol the lot (if they do at all).

Never had to do this so am just saying this from a practical point of view.
Gil & Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
Langley, BC
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
Big theft item is Onan generators, easy to unbolt and pull. I have a friend who lost two. I'd round off the bolts to unloosen it with a dremel grinder. Tough to take off in the middle of the night, but moderate pain if you have to remove it yourself.

RV's are sort of like convertibles, most people eventually figure out that the convertible top when ripped costs more than the radio. I leave my old rag top Porsche unlocked and pull the stereo dashplate.
2013 Mirada 29SE, I earned it!
Hugh R is offline   Reply With Quote