Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2017, 07:31 PM   #1

Separate Dedicated Generator Connection

Have any of you RV whizzes out there customized a Generator connection for a rear mounted gen box?

What I would like is a separate connection that I can hide out of site to run my inverter say at a boon dock site, or truck stop.

This way if I decide to use my gen, it's already connected to the unit, and no hanging cords to get in the way.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:21 PM   #2

I had a travel trailer that I had set that way but I had my generators under a cap in the bed of truck. I ran the thirty amp cable in pvc pipe under the camper strapped to the frame. I had the generators strapped down under the cap and the exhaust from the generators run under the truck. I have a fifth wheel now
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:23 PM   #3

Awesome! I did not think to leave it in the truck! Wow, thanks!
Old 09-16-2017, 10:21 PM   #4

I'll likely put one on my bumper, and plan to run conduit/wire to the panel. Then some sort of transfer switch.

To bad it's so harsh of an environment under the truck. A 2k would fit under there like an aux fuel tank.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:46 AM   #5
Always Learning

My grand vision was a custom designed generator box for the rear of the trailer. The generator box would have an automatic transfer switch in it. Feeding the ATS would be fed from a 50amp inlet for shore power and the generator. The output would go to the camper's 50amp inlet.

My thinking is that since my 50amp plug is back in that rear corner, my thought was to wire-up a short plug to go around the corner and secure it in some way.

That way, when I want to run the generator, it's just a matter of fire it up and go.

BUT.. the whole concept adds a lot of weight to the rear of the camper. I'm already overweight on the camper as a whole and very pin light for my fifth wheel. So for now, I have a portable generator and a 50-to-15 adapter with an extension cord. It'll let me avoid digging out my 50amp cord when I want to use it (and I've proved it works without voltage drop as I've used the extension cord and the 50amp power cord in conjunction together already).
Old 09-17-2017, 08:02 AM   #6

That's what I was thinking! Wow! Hmmmm, now you have my brain churning.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:22 AM   #7

I have a fifth wheel and I have no plans to leave the generators on the back of camper, we have a rear cap and I think the generators would look tacky on the back. What I plan on doing is to carry a hitch mounted carrier in the bed of truck. Then when I need the generators for the night or nights I just install the hitch carrier on the back of camper, that way my generators don't sit on the ground. I carry two Honda's in the basement that I can parallel together. I plan on using that same 30amp cable run in pvc that's strapped to the frame. I use pvc because I can put that pvc on my table saw and cut the pvc length wise that way I can spread the pvc open and insert my 30amp cable. The 30amp cable has a 50amp connection on the end that goes into camper and the other end is 30amp. The cable was brought like that and its 25ft long Marinco cable. I plan in a effort to keep the rain off the generators is to install a umbrella over them, the Honda's can operate in the rain. I store the Honda's in my basement when not in use.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:34 PM   #8
Ham Call N8SAC

I use a Kolher 4 KW gen set I retrieved from a rotted out Wenabago Motor Home. Mounted in a alum. Tool box. Just set it in back of truck .
Maxwell D Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:26 PM   #9

Here is what works for me, a 3000 watt inverter series generator mounted on a homemade slide in the front storage compartment of our fifth. When I pull it out to run it I have a Velcro attached curtain that's placed over the entire door cutout to prevent exhaust gases from entering the RV. I have yet to wire in a auto transfer switch so that I don't have to drag out the heavy 50 amp cord each time I need AC power.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0202.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	151706   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0203.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	151708   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0201.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	151709  
Old 09-18-2017, 06:32 AM   #10

small enough to put in the bed of the truck...
I placed mine not in front of the headstock for the pin but behind and found out in 2 minutes or less that the never flat tires can be compressed enough with a trailer pin weight on it to go flat.

at least now if stolen its easily identifiable
Old 09-18-2017, 07:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
Here is what works for me, a 3000 watt inverter series generator mounted on a homemade slide in the front storage compartment of our fifth. When I pull it out to run it I have a Velcro attached curtain that's placed over the entire door cutout to prevent exhaust gases from entering the RV. I have yet to wire in a auto transfer switch so that I don't have to drag out the heavy 50 amp cord each time I need AC power.

I have found out that I can hear the Honda's in the bedroom above the generators. That's why I want to put the Honda's at the rear of camper, that way in the bedroom I can't hear anything. But I like the way you mounted the Honda.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I have found out that I can hear the Honda's in the bedroom above the generators. That's why I want to put the Honda's at the rear of camper, that way in the bedroom I can't hear anything. But I like the way you mounted the Honda.
You're right I can hear it running from the bedroom, however when I'll be running it I won't be in the bedroom sleeping. It's more for during the day, breakfast, and battery charging while boondocking.

Tags
cat, generator