Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2018, 03:31 PM   #1
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

Service Trailer Brake warning light?

Off topic but are any of you guys have problems with the "service trailer brake" warning? Mine comes and goes and I can't nail down the problem. It also comes on when there is nothing plugged in.

I'll look that camera up and the instructions as well.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #2
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra glide View Post
Off topic but are any of you guys have problems with the "service trailer brake" warning? Mine comes and goes and I can't nail down the problem. It also comes on when there is nothing plugged in.
I've read that some trailers with disc brakes instead of drum brakes have a similar issue with the built-in trailer brake controller and have had to have either a dealer code entered into the trucks computer or something added to the system.

Don't remember what it was, but maybe it might be something along these lines...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra glide View Post

I'll look that camera up and the instructions as well.
Chevy has had that problem on their '15/16/17 year 2500's. I had that warning a number of times on my '16 2500 towing. Never heard about it without any trailer connected. Most are finding the problem in the trailer plug on the truck. It seems they had a run of plugs that were not sealed properly, and you get water inside the plug where the wiring harness is soldered causing corrosion..etc.

With my truck, after a number of "tries" by the dealer (under warranty) at fixing it without replacing the plug, they ended up replacing the whole plug, and I had them fill the harness area with dielectric grease. No problems since.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:49 AM   #4
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
Chevy has had that problem on their '15/16/17 year 2500's. I had that warning a number of times on my '16 2500 towing. Never heard about it without any trailer connected. Most are finding the problem in the trailer plug on the truck. It seems they had a run of plugs that were not sealed properly, and you get water inside the plug where the wiring harness is soldered causing corrosion..etc.

With my truck, after a number of "tries" by the dealer (under warranty) at fixing it without replacing the plug, they ended up replacing the whole plug, and I had them fill the harness area with dielectric grease. No problems since.
I had a similar warning come up three times on my 2015 Chevy 2500HD when it was new...

What is strange is that all three times was on the same stretch of highway on the west side of Denver (C-470 south between I-25 and Hwy 285) headed south going downhill when towing.

The light would stay on until I shut the motor off and restarted...then the light was off.

Hasn't done it in a long time...

I always assumed it had something to do with the auto braking it was doing on the downhill slope.

Doesn't matter...I don't live in Denver anymore so won't be making that slope!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote