Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #1

Shore Power Plug

I've burned/melted two male connections on my shore power line. This has been a result of loose connections at the campgrounds. Anyone know of a sacrificial adapter that I can connect in series? It seems that it would be easier to throw the overheated adapter away than cut and re-wire a new male head. Thoughts?
kphammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #2

Wow, in over 30 years of RVing I have never melted and cord end like that. You might have to make your own, never seen what you are asking for.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:31 PM   #3

I'm on my second cord in the last year. The first one blew a .25 inch hole out on the side of the rubber plug. Grabbing that and getting 120 volts and 30 amps could ruin your day. Thats a good reason why I always open the breaker at the box before plugging or unplugging. An electrician told me that it appeared it was a loose connection inside my plug.
jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:40 PM   #4

Butchers Bill

First time: in the Hill Country in Texas-June, 100+ degrees and no AC. Drove 30 miles to find a RV place and re-wired it in the car on the way back. Heavy gauge wire makes it a pain to do.

Second time: plug did not melt. Copper spades overheated (discolored) and was tripping my TT breaker.

Just tired of messing with worn-out outlets.
kphammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphammer View Post
I've burned/melted two male connections on my shore power line. This has been a result of loose connections at the campgrounds. Anyone know of a sacrificial adapter that I can connect in series? It seems that it would be easier to throw the overheated adapter away than cut and re-wire a new male head. Thoughts?
That is what i did, was replace the male end. I keep a spare in the camper along with an extra power cord.
Before I plug in to the campground power supply I make sure the breaker is off and when I unplug, I turn the breaker off first.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:23 AM   #6

over heated cord

This is what mine looked like. I am sorry it is not a good pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	over heated power cord.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1912  
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:24 AM   #7
Site Team

I've replaced mine from getting hot because of the worn out receptacles at CG's. Those molded on plugs aren't made of the best meterial anyway. I bought a Camco plug. It has solid blades and a handle. One thing that will help greatly would be to buy a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter and plug into the 50 amp service wherever it's avialable those are used less and have less wear, besides being built more substantial in the first place.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I've replaced mine from getting hot because of the worn out receptacles at CG's. Those molded on plugs aren't made of the best meterial anyway. I bought a Camco plug. It has solid blades and a handle. One thing that will help greatly would be to buy a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter and plug into the 50 amp service wherever it's avialable those are used less and have less wear, besides being built more substantial in the first place.
Great thinking and a good solution rather than having to make one.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote