Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2015, 10:25 PM   #1
Always Learning

Side to side movement- stabilizers

As of now, I have Rotochocks between the wheels and have tried originally the UltraFab Eliminators (originally) and now the SteadyFast system. I've always had a fair amount of movement. It's definitely better than without- but, I can tell when either kid rolls around in the bunkhouse (3 and 11). I can only imagine "what" they feel with us in the bedroom (aghast! gasp!).

I have read here over and over that adding stabilizers just ahead of the axles should take out the remaining movement (except when someone is coming up the outside steps and step stabilizers takes care of that). Recently on my blog, the creator of the SteadyFast system indicated that a good bit of movement is coming from the rear electric stabilizers and that I would get good results if I added screw stabilizers back there.

So one of my recent Amazon orders was a pair of screw jacks. I first tried them at the rear of the camper and other than taking weight off of the rear stab jacks, I couldn't tell a difference.

I moved the jacks to just ahead of the axles and twisted them up as far as I could go. AND... no difference!

So seriously... for you all with 40'+ fifth wheels who claim you've got "rock steady" setups. Please tell me wtf I'm doing wrong!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443669897.628111.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	90385

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443669925.643738.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	90387
Old 10-02-2015, 01:39 AM   #2
Always Learning

I know I'm wordy. So, longest story short:

A) am I setting my stabilizers wrong?

B) is "rock steady" not really a thing?

I get that it's a house on a suspension and all; but your claims make me question it.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:15 AM   #3
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
B and B has rear stabilizers on his Rockwood....might ask him. Strongarm style
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:05 PM   #4

I've always had 33' - 37' fivers and have always had JT Stabilizers on them resulting in little "wiggle" or side to side movement. I don't see how adding jacks under the frame will get rid of side to side movement. Fiver's will always have "bounce" since they most always rest on their suspension ... any version of triangulated brace arms like JT's will eliminate 90% of wiggle if setup per manufacturers guidelines. Adding 4X4 or 6X6 blocks under your jack feet to reduce the amount of extension will help
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:37 PM   #5

Every bit of stabilization helps but always some left. I believe most of remaining is side to side bigger blocks and shorter jacks helps
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:52 PM   #6

Part of the wiggle, especially from side-to-side is from the weight of the RV sitting on the tires. Tires wiggle. The stabilizers are just that; stabilizers.

Most don't really take the weight off the tires unless your RV has a hydraulic leveling system. That's a different story as you typically won't get wiggle because these take the weight off the tires.
Troy, NC
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:57 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I've always had 33' - 37' fivers and have always had JT Stabilizers on them resulting in little "wiggle" or side to side movement. I don't see how adding jacks under the frame will get rid of side to side movement. Fiver's will always have "bounce" since they most always rest on their suspension ... any version of triangulated brace arms like JT's will eliminate 90% of wiggle if setup per manufacturers guidelines. Adding 4X4 or 6X6 blocks under your jack feet to reduce the amount of extension will help

I guess I'm wondering if I'm setting mine up appropriately. The UltraFab Eliminators are essentially JT Knockoffs. The SteadyFast system is the same triangulating concept just implemented slightly differently.

I think it is definitely side to side movement that I'm seeing from sitting under the camper while people moved around.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:00 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
Part of the wiggle, especially from side-to-side is from the weight of the RV sitting on the tires. Tires wiggle. The stabilizers are just that; stabilizers.

Most don't really take the weight off the tires unless your RV has a hydraulic leveling system. That's a different story as you typically won't get wiggle because these take the weight off the tires.

I tried cracking these up as much as I could, but with the small handle- I hit my limit pretty quick. I'm a weakling.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:29 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

I do not put blocks under any jacks and extend them as far as necessary to slightly lift the 5er. My 2 sets of stab jacks have the legs reinforced so I am not worried about bending them. If you look at the design/construction of the stab jacks, they will move side to side if you don't get the legs as near vertical as possible. The axle stab jacks take the bounce out of the suspension.

Try the following, just extend the stab jacks down about 6" without them touching anything and then grab ahold of either leg and jerk it in or out and it will slide back and forth, the jack assy slides in another channel on the frame, that's why they do not take the side to side movement out if they set on tall blocks.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:33 PM   #10
Always Learning

Makes sense, OC- any idea for what I might be doing wrong? Should I opt for scissor jacks instead of these screw jacks?
Old 10-02-2015, 07:37 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Makes sense, OC- any idea for what I might be doing wrong? Should I opt for scissor jacks instead of these screw jacks?
Don't have any idea (pictures)how you are set up. I just know I don't have any movement, front to back, up or down or side to side.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:47 PM   #12
Left Coast

Screw type jack-stands are what's being tried
Old 10-02-2015, 07:55 PM   #13
Always Learning

Side to side movement- stabilizers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Don't have any idea (pictures)how you are set up. I just know I don't have any movement, front to back, up or down or side to side.

Ok, so here is the current setup:

- in the front, I have the SteadyFast Stabilizers going 2 ways:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443833499.219753.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	380.6 KB
ID:	90484

- in the rear, I have electric stabilizers (they lift he camper slightly before I stop) and have SteadyFast running across the width of the camper:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443833568.140635.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	443.9 KB
ID:	90486

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443833584.708281.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	90487

- I've tried 2 positions for the screw jacks- just ahead of the axles and split between the tires and rear stabilizers. No difference in either position.

Here's the passenger/door side:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443833653.604911.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	368.3 KB
ID:	90488

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443833676.325010.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	377.4 KB
ID:	90489

Here's the driver's side:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443833699.705503.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	383.1 KB
ID:	90490

Oh, and forgot- I have Rotochoks between the tires.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443834646.849501.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	90500
Old 10-02-2015, 08:05 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

I have X homemade JT's on the front, nothing on the landing jacks going front to back, Use Bal X chocks, front to back homemade JT's on the back and the reinforced stab jacks in the front of the axles. I lift the axle jacks until the motor just about stalls and the rear ones at least 1" -2".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00208.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	90491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	90492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Homemade front stablilizer (Driver side upper).jpg
Views:	174
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	90493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Homemade front stablilizer (Passenger side upper).jpg
Views:	211
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	90494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right rear frame.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	90495  

Name:	Left rear frame.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	90496  
Old 10-02-2015, 08:13 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
I have X homemade JT's on the front, nothing on the landing jacks going front to back, Use Bal X chocks, front to back homemade JT's on the back and the reinforced stab jacks in the front of the axles. I lift the axle jacks until the motor just about stalls and the rear ones at least 1" -2".

So, similar concepts all around EXCEPT that I'm not getting much lift out of my axle jacks.

With the screw jacks in the rear, when I crank them up- I take weight off of the rear stabilizers. Which if I then readjust, it takes weight off of the screw jacks. It was a lose/lose situation.

So, I think I might look for something different for stabilizers at the axles.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:18 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
So, similar concepts all around EXCEPT that I'm not getting much lift out of my axle jacks.

With the screw jacks in the rear, when I crank them up- I take weight off of the rear stabilizers. Which if I then readjust, it takes weight off of the screw jacks. It was a lose/lose situation.

So, I think I might look for something different for stabilizers at the axles.
Why have both on the rear? Reinforce the stab legs and put some pressure on them. I lift the rear at least 1"-2".
Old 10-02-2015, 08:25 PM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
Why have both on the rear? Reinforce the stab legs and put some pressure on them. I lift the rear at least 1"-2".

The creator of the SteadyFast system does not have good things to say about rear electric stabilizers and recommended these there.

I also tried the screw jacks just ahead of the axles with similar (lack of) results.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:31 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
The creator of the SteadyFast system does not have good things to say about rear electric stabilizers and recommended these there.

I also tried the screw jacks just ahead of the axles with similar (lack of) results.
So, essentially he admitted his system needs help. All I can tell you is what works for me. I'll just use my crude homemade/modified stuff.

Until you triangulate across the trailer (BOTH WAYS) you are going to have movement.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:32 PM   #19
Always Learning

Quote:
So, essentially he admitted his system needs help. All I can tell you is what works for me. I'll just use my crude homemade/modified stuff.

Ehh- I heard the same thing about JT StrongArms. I can't talk about your homemade stuff.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:37 PM   #20
Left Coast

Could you use the screw ones as a pivot and raise front high, slide stands back to in front of axle, let front down to level, then use rear to slightly lift.......

Tags
stabilizers