Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2016, 01:43 PM   #1

Side wall delamination?

Hello, my palomini will be a year old in one week. I've got 7 days of warranty left. I noticed last week I've got a bubble on the side of my left wall up high about the size of a golf ball. Is it worth pushing a warranty claim? I'm thinking it looks like the adhesive just wasn't able to bond with the fiberglass VS delamination from water leaking. It's isolated to that one spot. Seems to be more noticeable when it gets hot and expands. It's convienently positioned right behind the decal stripe. It's not the stripe lifting either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2963.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	122493  
Heli911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:03 PM   #2
Site Team

That doesn't look like normal delamination. It looks like something under the filon pressing it out.

I'd definitely have the dealer look at it before the warranty expires.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:17 PM   #3

Behind the wall is open space wher the top bunk is. What's a philon?
Old 10-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #4

Prick the bubble with a needle. Then you will know if it's just a bubble in the tape, or a bubble in the fiberglass. The latter is a real defect that needs to be fixed.

It could be delamination - gel or surface coat separating from the fiberglass substrate.

Or worse (and more likely) separation of the bond between the fiberglass and foam core. That is a structural issue if the separation grows at all over the years.

Prick, and if it's not just a bubble in the tape, get your warranty claim in now.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 03:05 PM   #5

It's not a bubble in the decal. It feels like the fiberglass separating from the luan. I'm guessing they didn't get enough glue on that part. I'll take it in this week. Thanks everybody for the help.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:09 PM   #6
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli911 View Post
Behind the wall is open space wher the top bunk is. What's a philon?
Filon is the fiberglass and gelcoat skin that is on the outside of a "fiberglass" sided camper. Its basically just a fiberglass and gelcoat formica like sheet, formica is what is used on cheap counter tops.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:11 PM   #7

Why are you taking it in? Is it under warranty? If so, the dealership will blame you for a roof leak and not catching it in time thus voiding your warranty.

Such a small section of delam is very easy to repair. RV Delamination Repair Composet Products L.L.C.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:08 PM   #8

It's still under warranty as it's less than a year old. The bubble is far enough down and isolated I can't imagine it's from a roof leak.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:01 PM   #9
Site Team

Didn't you buy the $150 2nd year factory warranty?
If so, you still have another year to cover this issue.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Didn't you buy the $150 2nd year factory warranty?
If so, you still have another year to cover this issue.
That was never presented to me. Where do I sign up? The dealer tried to sell me a $1400 extended warranty through a 3rd party.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:24 PM   #11
Oklahoma Proud

I would recommend contacting the palomino warranty department and send them pics. That would guarantee that the factory knows about your issue. Oftentimes you cant trust that your dealer will get to it in a timely manner and notify the individual in charge to cover this issue in the future.
This is something to observe and keep track of, you dont want it getting worse.
There are ways of "fixing" it that dont require replacing a side wall. Especially since its under a decal. But that requires some skill that a lot of dealers and even factory workers dont have.
Good luck and i hope you find satisfactory answers to your issue.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
I would recommend contacting the palomino warranty department and send them pics. That would guarantee that the factory knows about your issue. Oftentimes you cant trust that your dealer will get to it in a timely manner and notify the individual in charge to cover this issue in the future.
This is something to observe and keep track of, you dont want it getting worse.
There are ways of "fixing" it that dont require replacing a side wall. Especially since its under a decal. But that requires some skill that a lot of dealers and even factory workers dont have.
Good luck and i hope you find satisfactory answers to your issue.
I sent Kim in the warranty department pics today. Hopefully I'll hear back from him tomorrow. I can make a new decal out of flat black vinyl. I'm not super worried. I have options. But I'm hoping it's covered under warranty.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:29 PM   #13

We had a couple blisters that were a couple inches in dia repaired at Goshen.perfect color match (grey). It took the tech about 2 hrs to grind them out,re-gelcoat and buff.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:39 PM   #14
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
We had a couple blisters that were a couple inches in dia repaired at Goshen.perfect color match (grey). It took the tech about 2 hrs to grind them out,re-gelcoat and buff.
Good to know that someone up there knows how to fix them. They are pretty common in the boating world. Color match can be an issue sometimes and it takes some time tinting the gelcoat. I spend alot of time tinting whites.
Thats pretty good that they could take care of that, that quickly!
Old 10-09-2016, 10:26 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli911 View Post
That was never presented to me. Where do I sign up? The dealer tried to sell me a $1400 extended warranty through a 3rd party.
Probably too late since it's been almost a year since you bought it.
But you could plead your case to the warranty people and explain that the dealer didn't advise you of it.
But I believe that it's referred to on FR brochures.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 10-09-2016, 10:30 PM   #16

I might try to call them and ask. I bought the first forest river camp trailer they ever sold at my local dealer. They just started carrying FR units. There weren't any brochures. I looked through all my paperwork that came with the trailer and there isn't any extended warranty offer.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:34 PM   #17
Site Team

Many dealers don't inform customers of it because they don't make money on it, like they do the 3rd party warranties.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Good to know that someone up there knows how to fix them. They are pretty common in the boating world. Color match can be an issue sometimes and it takes some time tinting the gelcoat. I spend alot of time tinting whites.
Thats pretty good that they could take care of that, that quickly!
Whites are tough.The grey was easy,opened up a new 1 gal can of gel coat,poured out about a pint,mixed it up and shot it on,perfect match.Then he says" do you have any use for this?"(the remaining 3.5 quarts).I said "sure",he left it under my rear steps,came back an hour later Blocked it ou,buffed it and done!
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delamination