Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2018, 04:49 PM   #1
Just as confused as you

Single Blade Wind Turbine

Site Team Note: This thread has been split off from it's original location in the f150 and small 5th wheel thread so it has it's own place to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf View Post
Nice... But how do you extend the forward bed??
I don't know. It belongs to a neighbor and I never see him around to ask. He has a single blade wind generator that he puts under a rear tire of the truck, been wanting to ask him how it works. It has one blade with a counterbalance.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:17 PM   #2
Wrench Turnin Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
I don't know. It belongs to a neighbor and I never see him around to ask. He has a single blade wind generator that he puts under a rear tire of the truck, been wanting to ask him how it works. It has one blade with a counterbalance.
Theoretically... A single blade is most efficient

2001 Coleman SantaFe pop up
Excited new owner of 2018 Arctic Wolf 315TBH8
Towing with a 2005 F-250 5.4 GASSER
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:56 PM   #3
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Theoretically... A single blade is most efficient
A single blade with a counter balance on the opposite side? Never seen or heard of one like that before. I have done research on building my own wind generator and all documents say the 3 blade is the most efficient, easier to balance and creates the least amount of harmonics. That's why every wind generator you see has 3 blades.

BTW, the state of Wisconsin does not allow home built systems. Unless you have a way to hide it, it is illegal.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:31 PM   #4
Wrench Turnin Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
A single blade with a counter balance on the opposite side? Never seen or heard of one like that before. I have done research on building my own wind generator and all documents say the 3 blade is the most efficient, easier to balance and creates the least amount of harmonics. That's why every wind generator you see has 3 blades.

BTW, the state of Wisconsin does not allow home built systems. Unless you have a way to hide it, it is illegal.
That's ridiculous... I guess the state owns the wind... So much for liberty in this country.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:55 PM   #5
Canadian Member

Quote:
That's ridiculous... I guess the state owns the wind... So much for liberty in this country.

By the way, I’ll bet the state regulations say the wind turbine needs a certification to acceptable safety standards, not just “no homemade” units. If you want to get a homemade unit certified to the specified safety standards you’d probably be able to use it. Those standards would include both electrical safety and mechanical safety.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:16 PM   #6
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post

By the way, I’ll bet the state regulations say the wind turbine needs a certification to acceptable safety standards, not just “no homemade” units. If you want to get a homemade unit certified to the specified safety standards you’d probably be able to use it. Those standards would include both electrical safety and mechanical safety.
Solar heating, solar power generation systems or wind power generation systems must be designed, built and installed by a company, corporation, or person certified and licensed in the State of Wisconsin. Home-made solar heating systems, solar electric generators and wind electric generators are not permitted. Then the document goes on about fines and etc.

I've been searching for the document I saved to a HDD but I can't seem to find it.
The neighbor who has the single blade wind turbine keeps it out of sight, I've only seen it once when he was working on it and I didn't have time to stop and talk with him.

This is the last I'm going to say so the thread can get completely back on topic.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:29 PM   #7
Canadian Member

Scrapper, it looks like you’re saying my assumption is correct. The company, corporation and individual need to be “certified” as being able to meet a certain standard and are licensed to signify competence in meeting the standard. It’s not about discrimination or revenue. It’s about meeting a reasonable industry standard for public safety.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:59 PM   #8
Wrench Turnin Fool

I would think... Inspections could ensure your installation were safe... It's about revenue.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:09 PM   #9
Canadian Member

We are talking about wind turbines, right? Maybe we’re not thinking about the same thing?

For a wind turbine for a home or larger, you’d need training in mechanical and electrical engineering for the turbine and power system and possibly structural engineering for the support system depending on how high it is. This is not a handyman project.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:29 PM   #10

Quote:
I would think... Inspections could ensure your installation were safe... It's about revenue.
x2!

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:31 PM   #11

is it rated to tow a 5th wheel? It only a 1/2 ton
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:38 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We are talking about wind turbines, right? Maybe we’re not thinking about the same thing?

For a wind turbine for a home or larger, you’d need training in mechanical and electrical engineering for the turbine and power system and possibly structural engineering for the support system depending on how high it is. This is not a handyman project.

Well, there was a blog I had read a couple of years ago that was a general run of the mill guy who built his own homemade solar panels, wind mill, etc.. but he was using it completely off grid, on a plot of land he was pitching a tent on until he cobbled together a shack to sleep in.

For anything that might be grid tied, I really hope it’s certified and inspected.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:18 PM   #13

Single blade?

I saw a video of a power assisted sailplane (aka glider) in Europe which had a small gas engine on a retracting pylon, with a single bladed prop. This design facilitated retraction of the pylon for better performance when gliding. The intent of the device was to enable continuation of flight when lift was lost. I'm not sure if it was capable of a takeoff from the ground.
I was amazed- I'd never seen a single bladed prop, but apparently it works well. No reason it couldn't be applied to a turbine.
See this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-blade_propeller

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:49 PM   #14

State Control

Quote:

I think governments are concerned with technology such as this when it comes to the sale, commercial use, or use by others of the systems or components which have not been certified. If neighbour Fred wants to build a wind turbine for his own use, the use of which will not affect any other persons, their family or property (including flying bits if it flies apart), then I say good on him.

If he tries to sell, rent, or distribute uncertified devices or components in any way whether for profit or not, then that's a whole different matter, and the relevant regulatory agencies should have a say.

Cheers

Old 04-03-2018, 03:05 PM   #15
Just as confused as you

Thank you Site Team for splitting this off to it own thread. I really didn't mean for it to go this far. Thanks again.

As for having a solar panel or wind turbine off grid, that's not allowed either unless it is a commercial unit. How do I know you may ask. I had built a small 12v VAWT turbine from a PM motor from a copier to power my weather station. It was 3 ft tall by 18 inches wide, big enough to be noticed from the ground. Then the assessor came around like he does every year. Two days later I got a visit from someone at the county commissioners office telling me it had to come down. He told me it was illegal to have a home built wind turbine even though I explained to him it was not tied to the grid in any way. He threatened me with a ticket and $500 fine unless I took it down immediately. Took 10 minutes to set up the ladder, climb on the roof and remove it. He gave me a warning ticket. I still have the turbine and play around with it but it gets put in the garage when I see the assessor's truck in the neighborhood.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:14 PM   #16

Re My previous post

Click the link below to see an example of government regulation gone crazy. An electric car designed and manufactured here in Canada, sold in other countries, but can only be legally registered and used in British Columbia.

This is an old video, and the situation remains the same.

Click here:https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ri2BG2...yer_detailpage

Old 04-03-2018, 04:12 PM   #17
Canadian Member

Love watching Rick Mercer's show, and I remember seeing that episode. You still don't see any ZENN cars here in Ontario.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:25 PM   #18
Just as confused as you

I think it would be slick to put a sound effects machine with loud speakers in a electric car. You would have your choice of diesel semi-truck with gear shifting, steam train, diesel train, jet fighter, helicopter, rocket, or any other sound that tickles your fancy for other drivers to hear. Can you imagine choosing a different sound at every stop light?
Old 04-03-2018, 05:40 PM   #19

Way back in time when the earth was still forming there was a magazine 'Mother Earth News' that had plans for all sorts of homestead wind turbines that could be fabricated from junkyard parts. Now as the world has evolved and the Lawyers now roam free and unchecked out backyard attempts at energy production fall under zoning laws. The magazine has also undergone changes to where it is no longer recognizable.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:45 PM   #20
Wrench Turnin Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
Way back in time when the earth was still forming there was a magazine 'Mother Earth News' that had plans for all sorts of homestead wind turbines that could be fabricated from junkyard parts. Now as the world has evolved and the Lawyers now roam free and unchecked out backyard attempts at energy production fall under zoning laws. The magazine has also undergone changes to where it is no longer recognizable.
It's quite sad, where we've come to.
You ever wonder how the "experts" got to be experts?
Imagine if the Wright brothers had been waiting for a certified expert to come along and prove their Ideas??