Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2019, 10:59 AM   #1

Slide out is slow or wont retract

Hello We bought a 2002 Keystone Springdale 295bh last fall to park on a permanent site and are having issues with the slide out. This is our first camper with a slide out so I am not sure where to start. The slide seems to go out alright (might stop once or twice) but it has issues coming back in. It will move a few inches and then the motor will make a different noise and stop. Press the button and nothing, have to wait 30 seconds and then you can hit the button and it will slide another few inches and stop. It takes 10-15 minutes to retract the slide. I thought is was the battery and replaced that but it didn't help. Any ideas of thing to check before calling out a repair tech? Thank you.
packers42592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:06 AM   #2

Are you connected to shore power or just using the battery? You should be lever first then connected to shore power then put the slide out or in. The battery needs to be fully charged for the heavy draw of the slide with shore power adding to it. That's how it was explained to me and how I do it.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:30 AM   #3

Whats happening is the slide is possibly drawing too many amps. pulling it in and trips the inline re-settable breaker (hence the 30 second wait). The slide may need adjusting and/or lubing so that it can move more freely without binding. Get yourself a spray can of dry lube (won't attract dust & dirt). With the slide out, spray the rails that guide it in & out as well as the gears & teeth. Then try working it in & out to see if that's all it needed. If it still does it then, you may have to have it adjusted and/or the wiring to the motor checked to be sure it's got a good corrosion free connection. Good luck.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:34 AM   #4

Yes it is plugged into shore power and level. The battery is fully charged as well. I will get some spray lube and try lubing everything up and see what that does. Is there anything else I should check?
packers42592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by packers42592 View Post
Yes it is plugged into shore power and level. The battery is fully charged as well. I will get some spray lube and try lubing everything up and see what that does. Is there anything else I should check?

Given its' age, I would check ALL the battery connections pos. & neg. Not only on the battery but also at the other ends also. A loose/corroded connection and/or cable(s) will increase the amp. draw & pop fuses and inline breakers.

Edit: X2 on the below post. Have battery tested.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:54 PM   #6

Slide Out

My slides did something similar. I found out that the battery needed replaced. It read 13.5 volts, but when tested under load it showed a bad cell. My slides are hydraulic, though. Not sure what yours are and if that will make a difference.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:39 PM   #7
Site Team

packers, just realize your'e going to have to post more specific information since your trailer is not a Forest River product.
So the make of your slide system will help.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
packers, just realize your'e going to have to post more specific information since your trailer is not a Forest River product.
So the make of your slide system will help.

Haaaa!!!! I never caught that! But, don't fret! Unlike other sites, we won't kick you out. We'll all be happy to try to help if we can.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:55 PM   #9

Cool Hydraulic Slides & Leveling legs with hiccups

This is exactly what’s happening to us. 2015 Cedar Creek 38CK 5th Wheel. Rooms slide out a few inches stop. Wait a few seconds. Push button again stop. Either going in or out. Then the hydraulic landing legs. When it levels some legs don’t come down at all usually on the passenger side.
Lippert taught us how to jump it....

We ended up replacing the hydraulic pump motor and relay. At a tune of $1300.
Still not working checked the 4 6.5 volt batteries. One had dead cell. Replaced that battery. Other batteries checked out fine.

Still not working. FYI we always have it hooked up to shore power when doing this. Checked converter it gets power.
alicemerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Whats happening is the slide is possibly drawing too many amps. pulling it in and trips the inline re-settable breaker (hence the 30 second wait). The slide may need adjusting and/or lubing so that it can move more freely without binding. Get yourself a spray can of dry lube (won't attract dust & dirt). With the slide out, spray the rails that guide it in & out as well as the gears & teeth. Then try working it in & out to see if that's all it needed. If it still does it then, you may have to have it adjusted and/or the wiring to the motor checked to be sure it's got a good corrosion free connection. Good luck.
This!! A number of issues could be causing that resetable breaker to trip. But every time it does, the breaker weakens. You need to find it and replace it then figure out what the issue is that is causing the amp spike.
The Lieutenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicemerrill View Post
This is exactly what’s happening to us. 2015 Cedar Creek 38CK 5th Wheel. Rooms slide out a few inches stop. Wait a few seconds. Push button again stop. Either going in or out. Then the hydraulic landing legs. When it levels some legs don’t come down at all usually on the passenger side.
Lippert taught us how to jump it....

We ended up replacing the hydraulic pump motor and relay. At a tune of $1300.
Still not working checked the 4 6.5 volt batteries. One had dead cell. Replaced that battery. Other batteries checked out fine.

Still not working. FYI we always have it hooked up to shore power when doing this. Checked converter it gets power.
Had the same issue with our 17 Sandpiper. Our local repair shop located the bad resetable breaker but it was only a temporarily fix. I ended up taking it out to Lippert in Goshen. Forrest River installed the Level Up system incorrectly during the build which was the biggest part if the problem. It lead to the issues with the in frame hydrolic slide problems as well.
The Lieutenant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out