Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2017, 09:46 AM   #1

Soft touch ceiling

I am not sure which section to put this in. Anyone remove the soft touch ceiling? What did you replace it with?

I had a roof leak which soaked the foam in the ceiling, which now smells musty and is difficult to dry in corners, edges an difficult to reach places. The luan above is damp and I am drying to wick the water out with paper towels.

I don't know what the best approach to the ceiling is. I assume people deal with leaks all of the time. How do you dry the ceiling and prevent mold after a leak?
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:06 AM   #2
Senior Junior Member

I was recently faced with the same issue. However, my problem may not have been as serious, I removed the light from the ceiling near the leak to relieve the vapor pressure and ran a dehumidifier for a couple weeks. Then I used Zinsser spray stain blocker to cover the stain. I will eventually top coat with a white satin spray paint.

If that had not been successful, I planned on ordering the ceiling material and getting a headliner installer to do the work. If your damage is widespread, that may be something you could look into. Whatever route you take, be sure you are leak free first. Frequent inspections, as I found out, are a must.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:28 AM   #3

dehumidifier and fan should dry it out after a few days

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:55 PM   #4

Thanks. I thought I had it sealed and mostly dry. Today more rain and more water in ceiling soaking through the wood. I am still trying to find where it is coming in. Local dealer is too busy to help before leave. I will make another attempt to seal the marker lights after the rain stops tomorrow. I guess I will order the dehumidifier.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:32 PM   #5

in a case like this, I would try 2" wide Eternabond tape. Just go crazy and tape over all roof seams. You could do this even if it is raining. Order on amazon for quick delivery.

I have a tutorial on how I installed Eternabond on my roof
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nce-90060.html

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:27 PM   #6

Thanks rsdata. I already have it. I doesn't seem to be coming from the top of the roof. I sealed the failing Dicor that I found and sealed the left front corner and half way across the front cap. The moisture keeps appearing in the front left corner. I tried to seal the marker lights from a laying position on the roof. I could not get the bottom of them well and could not see what I was doing. I put more silicone around the one over the driver's seat and covered it and the cracked gutter with a taped on plastic bag. I am currently wicking the excess water from the wood and foam with paper towels. More rain coming tomorrow. Other than the marker lights, .I don't know how any water can get into that corner now.