Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
Proud Member

Special Trailer (ST) Speed Rating

My TT has Goodyear Marathon tires. While researching for another thread, I stumbled on this notice posted by Goodyear on their website.

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/marat...nfo_032806.pdf

I somehow don't think this data is specific just to Goodyear trailer tires based on how it is worded. They make it pretty clear. If I am going to run my tires at their maximum weight rating, I better keep it below 65 mph!

I don't have a question. I just wanted to share this for our mutual edification.

this weekend ----> !
Reese SC WD System 800/10,000 lbs
1976 Cessna 177RG
Wife, son, twin daughters, and mother

red.jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:27 AM   #2
Jas

there seems to be a catchto this. The document states: " when used under normal load" conditions. If you look at the actual load rating for the tires, each tire can just about handle the GVW of the entire vehicle. I think on my camper each tire is rated to handle about 2/3 of the GVW.

So the question I pose now is: Since we are not running at the rated load of the tires, does this speed restriction apply? In a worst case scenarios, on a heavily crowned road with 1 tire blown out you could argure that you are getting close to that 2/3 GVW on the remaining tire if it's on the down hill side.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:55 AM   #3

I just looked at my tires on my 8280SS. According to the specs(yes I know they are mostly fictitious) my trailer has a GVWR of 7868 lbs, and an axle weight of 5240 lbs. Now, my new Trailmaster ST tires have a max weight rating of 1820 lbs each. That seems to indicate that if my fifth wheel is at max weight and I blow one tire, the other three are just shy of their max weight. In reality, the one next to the blown tire is now overloaded.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:26 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

When my tire popped yesterday

I was running about 65 MPH and it took a good minute to work my way to the shoulder. (6 lane wide beltway around DC)

The aft tire was "squashed" but did not look "ready to fail"

I am sure if I had ignored the "pop" and hoped it was some one else, (There was no other indication), the outcome would have been very different.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote