Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2019, 04:26 PM   #1

Spongy Floor on a Rockwood Windjammer Ultralight

I have a problem with the floor in my Rockwood Windjammer Ultralight caravan 3008W, in certain areas, being spongy. I have only had the caravan a few years but the warranty has ran out. I am living in New Zealand.

The floor is the sandwich type with Plywood/polystyrene or Styrofoam/Plywood as the main component. Apparently this polystyrene tends to compress and this leads to a gap between the polystyrene and the top layer of plywood why leads to the floor becoming spongy in that area. I don't have any visible water leaks and I have only used the caravan for 4 months in total over the last few years do I would not say it was heavy use.

I searched this problem on line and this seems to be a very common problem going back to the 2000,s with Rockwood Ultralight caravans so Forest River the makers of this type of caravan knew there was problem which is probably why you only get a 12 month warranty.

I have heard that removing the vinyl in the areas of concern then drilling a series of 10 mm holes to allow the injection of resin to fill the gap created by the compressed polystyrene could be done but it is only a short term solution.

I was thinking of laminating another 10 mm layer of marine ply over the original floor but this would affect the living room slider as it would no longer be able to side back in.

Does anybody know if the slider can be adjusted to accommodate the extra 10 mm hight that fitting the replacement floor on top of the original floor would bring.
oorda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:56 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oorda View Post
I have a problem with the floor in my Rockwood Windjammer Ultralight caravan 3008W, in certain areas, being spongy. I have only had the caravan a few years but the warranty has ran out. I am living in New Zealand.

The floor is the sandwich type with Plywood/polystyrene or Styrofoam/Plywood as the main component. Apparently this polystyrene tends to compress and this leads to a gap between the polystyrene and the top layer of plywood why leads to the floor becoming spongy in that area. I don't have any visible water leaks and I have only used the caravan for 4 months in total over the last few years do I would not say it was heavy use.

I searched this problem on line and this seems to be a very common problem going back to the 2000,s with Rockwood Ultralight caravans so Forest River the makers of this type of caravan knew there was problem which is probably why you only get a 12 month warranty.

I have heard that removing the vinyl in the areas of concern then drilling a series of 10 mm holes to allow the injection of resin to fill the gap created by the compressed polystyrene could be done but it is only a short term solution.

I was thinking of laminating another 10 mm layer of marine ply over the original floor but this would affect the living room slider as it would no longer be able to side back in.

Does anybody know if the slider can be adjusted to accommodate the extra 10 mm hight that fitting the replacement floor on top of the original floor would bring.
On the slider it depends on the system, if it's Lipperts rack yes it can be adjusted, if it's a in wall system then probably not such as cable or the garbage Swhintec system then no. Which system do you have?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:05 PM   #3

I am not sure what system I have as the manual is up at the caravan. I know it is electric.

I have attached some photographs to see if you can determine what type it is and if not i will need to try and get to the caravan at some point to have a look at the manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161210_193918.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	203259   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161210_193954.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	203260   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161210_194002.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	203261  
Old 05-01-2019, 02:17 AM   #4

For the large slides, the motor mechanism is from Dexter but the actual slide rooms and bracing is all from Forest River.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:04 AM   #5

I'm almost 100% sure you have the lippert rack system , you can adjust them higher, under the slide you have an adjustment point on each side. Make sure you watch how high you lift it, you can see the trailer cut out at the top of how much space you have look under the top sweep. I think in the library are instruction on how. If not you can find it on the lippert site. I think it's called a mechanical slide. You can really screw them up if you don't do it correctly. I would take it to a RV place and have them do it.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:28 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I would take it to a RV place and have them do it.
the OP is in New Zealand. i doubt that there are very few RV places that can work on US manufactured RVs, let alone a Lippert system.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
the OP is in New Zealand. i doubt that there are very few RV places that can work on US manufactured RVs, let alone a Lippert system.
Are you saying they don't have RV dealers or RV repair places in New Zealand?

Old 05-01-2019, 05:07 AM   #8

Google it there are plenty, plus high end RV dealers.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:10 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Are you saying they don't have RV dealers or RV repair places in New Zealand?
No, as I said in my post, there are probably very few that can work on US RVs or Lippert slide systems.
I've been to New Zealand and they mainly have Australian manufactured RVs. I'm pretty sure they don't have any Lippert products.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:20 AM   #10

its pretty simple to do, I have attached how to adjust your system, hope this helps....

See page #9
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lippert Electric Slideout System (1).pdf (1.46 MB, 104 views)

Old 05-01-2019, 01:16 PM   #11

gentlemen,

Thanks a lot for the valuable information and the Lippert Manual.
I will go up to the caravan and have a look at the slide out and see if it is the same as the Lippert system.

RV's are very popular in New Zealand and we have a lot of good RV repair/service centres. US caravans are not that common but there are still a few around and NZ technicians are very adaptable, as they need to be, as we are so far away from the rest of the world.

Now that I have a better idea how to sort the floor problem out I will go and see the local RV repair/service centre in the area where the caravan is situated and go over the job to find the best solution.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:57 PM   #12

I'm surprised you haven't received comments on this issue. It's not uncommon as you have said.
We had a 2005 Ultralight and the flooring in front of the kitchen sink and counter area became quite 'spongy.' I was concerned about the cause, thinking it must be water penetration from the sink plumbing or somehow from the exterior. I took the trailer to a specialty RV repair shop (not a dealer) and I was told 'not to worry' it's the sandwich construction of the flooring. There's nothing to worry about, the flooring is sound, it's just a bit annoying. And it was .... bothered me every time I walked on it .... but, all in all, not a big deal just so long as the floor wasn't rotting-out!
So, my own 2 cents .... ignore it. It's OK. Go camping. Enjoy!
Cheers,
John
Old 05-03-2019, 09:45 PM   #13

John,

Thanks for the reply !! I appreciate it !!

My spongy floor definitely need attention as I heard the top sandwich pieces of flooring crack.

I am going up to the caravan tomorrow (4 Hour Drive) to see if i am able to adjust the Super Slider vertical and if I can then I will lay another floor on top of the original floor as long as the slider can slide IN/OUT without fouling on the floor. The thickness of the additional floor will depend on how much clearance I can get.

I am not sure the manufacturer of the super slider is as I am sure that Forest River would buy them in from some other manufacturer. I am hoping it is a Lippert Electric Slider as I have obtained a manual for it and it shows how to adjust the vertical but I wont know until i get under the slider.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:22 PM   #14

This is a very big deal for you ... a four hour drive just to get there!!!!
Our soft spongy floor area never cracked or affected the top decorative rolled flooring material. That was the only good thing.

With all you have in mind .... would it be possible to cut out the flooring in the affected area and replace it with something like 3/4 inch plywood which, I think, is what FR is making them with now, and hopefully not requiring any adjustment to the slide mechanism.

I would think it could be a relatively small area not requiring removal of any cabinetry etc. In any case .... a major undertaking.

Let us know how you make out.

Best regards,
John
Old 05-03-2019, 11:17 PM   #15

John,

I have quite a few spongy areas on the floor and I think it would be easier just to re-floor the whole caravan using as much thickness as the slider will allow either before or after slider vertical adjustment.

I have just been down to the local hardware store and there is a 9 mm H3 treated plywood that could be put right down on top of the original floor and then put down a good quality lino on top of that.

That is the plan for now but it all depends on how much vertical space I have on the slider at present and if that can be adjusted more if need be.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:08 AM   #16

I am in the process of fixing the spongy floors on my TT, also. I removed as much of the interior as I could and glued/screwed 12mm plywood to the existing floor. It has made a big difference already. I will be gluing 3mm high density rigid SPC laminate flooring (stone/plastic/composite - ground limestone) to the plywood and expect that to add even more strength and rigidity.

I do not have a slide so I did not have to deal with that. Even so, spongy floors seem to be a large, persistent problem with FR (and other brands, too, I am guessing) so I pay attention to posts about this issue. I googled slide out adjusting and found multiple documents from multiple mfgs. that mention vertical adjustment. But I did not see any mention of how much vertical adjustment there may be.

My suggestion would be to find out exactly what system you have - mfg.? - hydraulic? - electric? - cable? - gear? - and google it. If you still can't find the info you need, email the mfg. and tell them what you want to do and ask for instructions. Good luck.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 03:10 PM   #17

Gastan,

I am in New Zealand and have to go through the Forrest River reseller here and I have no email address for the Forest River. If I go to the Forrest River home page there is no email address.

See below for answer from the reseller:

"John,

I have had a reply back that the floors that some people put in place are just under ¼ of an inch thick. Most people are using a wooden look laminate floor. So by removing the lino, you would gain about 2 mm so then the wooden flooring would then only be about 4 mm above the old floor.

The slide out moves on three or four pieces of hard plastic when it moves in and there is no adjustment on the inside edge of the slide. You can adjust the outside by moving the bolts in but this would be un necessary as you would not be moving the actual base that the slide out sits on when it is in its out position ".

The reseller has told me the Electric super slide is made by Forrest River but I doubt that. I have been told by another person that the Slide Out is probably Lippert so armed with the Lippert Instruction manual I am driving up to the caravan today to have a good look under the Slide Out to see if it is in fact a Lippert Slide Out and see how much clearance I have at present between the Slide Out and the original floor. If I already have enough clearance to fit a 9 mm H3 treated plywood with a 2 mm lino (11mm in total) that i am laughing and if not then I will have to see about adjusting the vertical to accommodate the new additional floor.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:33 PM   #18

I have been up to the caravan and the slide out is not Lippert make but was close enough for me to work out the vertical adjustments from the Lippert manual.

After taking measurements from inside the caravan with the slide Out IN/OUT I have enough clearance from the slide out to the original floor in excess of 10 to 12 mm so I am going to fit 9mm H3 treated Plywood on top of the original floor and then 2 mm lino on top of the plywood and hopefully that will solve the problem.

Thanks for all the advice I have received !!!
Old 07-13-2019, 10:34 PM   #19

Do like I did and go get a 1/8th thick metal section cut and put over it, with a runner rug over that. My metal piece was 2 foot wide and 4 foot long. Works great!
hillsvillehokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:02 PM   #20

We had same problem. Was bad engineering. Went to a FROG rally and they removed the entire top of trailer, replaced the entire floor with a better staggered method of laminating, put the entire trailer back down onto new floor. This was a few years ago. Floor still fantastic now. This was done AFTER warranty ran out. If they have FROG (Forest River Owners Group) rallies, it's well worth it to go.
SNHIPP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, light, rockwood, windjammer