Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2009, 02:46 PM   #1

Squirrels

Hi, we have a 2007 Sierra 321BHT that we park seasonally. This year when we opened it we found we had squirrels coming up from under the tub to under the kitchen sink area. I can see a few places the black underbelly needs to be secured, I am going to pick up a can of that expanding insulation. But I am wondering if they can also get in via the holes where the slides come out? Anyone have any good ideas for blocking these holes, obviously it can't be any sort of permanent solution as we put the slides in for the winters. Are squirrels like mice, hate steel wool?
They are still coming in which surprised me, I thought it would have just been a winter thing. There is no food at all, other than it has been a cold May can't figure out what is attracting them. I think I will have to trap them before I block all the holes, they didn't seem to care that we were in the trailer at all.
Any advice is appreciated!
patti_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #2

Wow You having trouble with those dang SQUARES too.Rockwood06 thinks they like rubber hoses. LMAO Sorry rockwood06 couldnt resist was way too easy. SEE the Fact or Fiction thread

Patti i think if you secure the uderbelly they have a hard time getting in any where else and stuffing steelwool around your drains should help also
Old 06-03-2009, 04:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy 02 View Post
Wow You having trouble with those dang SQUARES too.Rockwood 06 thinks they like rubber hoses. LMAO Sorry rockwood 06 couldn't resist was way too easy. SEE the Fact or Fiction thread

Patti i think if you secure the underbelly they have a hard time getting in any where else and stuffing steelwool around your drains should help also

chevy 02, that's ok I can take it. I do the same to others as well. When I find I find a weak spot I take advantage of it because I know my turn is coming.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:06 AM   #4
Site Team

I know the tree rats (squirrels) around here have been terrible this year. We've probably got 100 of them around the yard. Luckily we haven't had any invade the RV. I've been keeping a watch.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:20 AM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We've never had them get in but they have made a meal out of my rubber Propane lines on our old pop-up and trailer as well as my gas grille on the deck. I purchased sealtite flexible electrical conduit with the steel inner liner and plastic coated to cover the lines. That solved the problem outside. I always stuff steel wool even now around my shoreline cable where it enters the motorhome to keep the chipmunks and mice out.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #6

My friend found out when the squirrels were getting into the attic on his house and eating his cable TV lines that trying to bar their access does not work all that well. They will find a way in. He trapped the offending critter and released it in a nearby park only to have the same one come back and once again eat his cables. The 2nd time he trapped the thing it went for a "swimming lesson", problem solved. He had tried to use metal screen to close the access holes they were using to get in. They only pulled it away and got in again.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:16 AM   #7
Site Team

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby they sell live traps that are very similar
to the "have a heart" brand but cost about half as much.
Once you've trapped the critters you can transport them away.
You'll need to take them several miles or more.
Or you can toss the trap in a bucket of water.
Your choice.
I agree that once they've gotten in it's going to be hard to keep them out.
They can chew through a lot of things.
Personally, I've got a pellet gun that is lethal and I'd not be afraid to use it
in this situation.
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote