Old 09-13-2018, 10:23 PM   #1

Stability in a Storm

I know all campers are different. That's a given.

Hurricane Florence is starting to howl outside my window right now. Things are just getting started. Its only a really hard wind right now with the occasional squall of rain for a few minutes. Problem is, the storm is supposed to linger for a long time. We could be seeing tropical storm winds until Saturday.

The Vengeance is full of water and fuel. Its our haven in case we have a big power failure. But its underneath my barn and the slides can not be extended while underneath there.

At what wind speeds would you feel comfortable setting up your camper in your own driveway? We have no trees or anything else to block the wind except the house. The camper will sit on the east side of the house.

I do have the Level-Up system with six legs.

Former Forest River Campers:
2004 Puma 30FQSS
2010 Sabre 31QBDS
2014 Work & Play 30WRS
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:29 PM   #2

I'd leave it where it is and only take it out after the storm is over.

You can't predict where the wind is going to come from....in fact, it frequently changes directions in these storms. Wind can get under the rig and flip it on its side pretty easily.

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:30 AM   #3

When we had our Puma Unleashed 5th Wheel toyhauler, which is probably lighter than yours, we rode out a storm on the eastern shore of Virginia with 40 mph winds and it was a bumpy night. We were on the bay side right on the water. Wife was no happy riding those winds out. Several others in larger MH's near us also reported their rigs swaying in those winds. I am not sure I would try anything higher and those may be too high.

Be safe.

2008 Georgetown 373DS
jmck1737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:22 AM   #4

jmck. That's about what I was thinking. If the power goes out, once the winds stay in the 30s and below, surely we should be OK.

Hopefully this is all for nothing. The eye is already past Wilmington and its no more than a Cat 1. Just a light rain with maybe 30 mpg gusts for us right now.

If I had won that danged Powerball, we would have left for Disneyworld on Monday.

Former Forest River Campers:
2004 Puma 30FQSS
2010 Sabre 31QBDS
2014 Work & Play 30WRS
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:37 AM   #5

[QUOTE=

Hopefully this is all for nothing. The eye is already past Wilmington and its no more than a Cat 1. Just a light rain with maybe 30 mpg gusts for us right now.

If I had won that danged Powerball, we would have left for Disneyworld on Monday. [/QUOTE]

Too bad about the powerball Glad you got lucky and the storm track and intensity were less than predicted. Cat 4 would have been horrible.

We were scheduled to play golf in Pinehurst from yesterday through Sunday but of course were cancelled. Not much in Central VA now, very light off and on showers with a little breeze.

Hopefully you will not need the TH.

2008 Georgetown 373DS
jmck1737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:39 AM   #6
Professional Curmudgeon

I deliver various campers around the country. When wind speed gets to 20 mph sustained, we are supposed to pull off the road and find shelter. At 25 mph winds, the storage lots close. In Wyoming, when winds of 40 mph or greater are expected, they close the highway to light high profile vehicles (campers). Violation can result in a $950.00 fine IIRC.
Eight months ago I had a camper blow over on it's side in what I have determined to be 50 mph sustained winds. Anything more than a gentle breeze still makes me physically ill.
2017 F350 6.7L Dual Rear Wheel Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 Lariat (truck is longer than the Summerland!)
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:48 PM   #7

I'd head west in a hurry and not worry about how to have stability. Just saying.
TexasGolfBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:37 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Placed my 5th wheel as close to the west side of the house (about 10 feet)during Hurricane Gustav. Nose pointed south from where the storm came. Wind was from the east at 60 MPH. All tanks full, hooked up to truck. stabilizers down. We stayed in the house and do not know about any movements, Did rip the 10 year old architectural shingles off the house from gusts. I did not think about protecting the back end of the camper but window were plastered with debris when the wind turned from the north. This lasted about 3 hours.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:47 PM   #9

Stayed in motorhomes during 2 hurricanes(category1) stayed on the lee side of a substantial building, the other stayed in a parking lot and kept motorhome headed into wind and away from structures thus avoiding flying debris.
AdamKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:23 PM   #10

You say it is "underneath" your barn? How stable is your barn? Do you mean inside a pole barn or in the basement of the old fashioned barns? If it is low, I would worry about flooding or the barn collapsing on it. If it is a modern pole barn, probably better to leave it inside. When the storm is over, you can take it out and extend the slides. It's probably too late to get out of Dodge now, so I hope your precautions are enough. We have ridden out some pretty bad "normal" storms with 35-50 mph winds that blew down trees around us, etc. and been OK with full tanks and stabilizers, but, never been in a hurricane. Best of luck.

ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote