Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2017, 08:22 PM   #1

stability or lack of

2015 Flagstaff 30 foot. How can I get the movement out of this trailer while camping ? Too much rocking wobble.
krhpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:42 PM   #2

BAL X-CHOCKS and locking Stabilizer bars.

Others have recommend Jack stands.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
BAL X-CHOCKS and locking Stabilizer bars.

Others have recommend Jack stands.

I use x chocks.
Are the locking stabilizer bars added to frame ?
krhpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:53 PM   #4
Always Learning

See if this helps:
http://learntorv.com/shake-shake-shake-rv-stabilization

Basically, triangulation stabilizers, between the wheel chocks, step supports, and extra stabilizers by the axles. Do them one at a time to see how far you have to go in order to achieve the stability you want.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhpee View Post
I use x chocks.
Are the locking stabilizer bars added to frame ?
This should answer your question.

https://youtu.be/goxjlJHi8PU
Old 08-07-2017, 09:02 PM   #6
Always Learning

As for triangulating stabilizers- my preference is SteadyFast after having it and JT StrongArms knock offs. OR- I've seen some cool DIY installations.

SteadyFast Review:
http://learntorv.com/product-review-...t-stabilizers/
Old 08-07-2017, 11:49 PM   #7

Xchocks and jt strong arms on mine does a awesome job of eliminating day to day bounce. Also use a cheapo scissor jack under our entry steps to take that bounce out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7294.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	462.5 KB
ID:	147536   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7297.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	396.8 KB
ID:	147537  
265bhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:40 PM   #8

Almost a daily post concerning/questioning this subject. Many different answers for what we do to achieve what we're comfortable with. Basically, it comes down to the pocket book and what you can afford.
A few like the boat rocking to sleep better, some of us can't stand or wake up every time someone turns over in bed. Was out in ours today doing some cleaning, thought I'd get sea sick since most stabilizers weren't down
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
As for triangulating stabilizers- my preference is SteadyFast after having it and JT StrongArms knock offs. OR- I've seen some cool DIY installations.

SteadyFast Review:
http://learntorv.com/product-review-...t-stabilizers/
These are pretty neat and given the fact that other solutions run $80 each and I'd need multiple to do my rig it's not bad pricing for what you get (if they work well).
Old 08-08-2017, 09:36 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
These are pretty neat and given the fact that other solutions run $80 each and I'd need multiple to do my rig it's not bad pricing for what you get (if they work well).

They really do work as well as other triangulation products, if not slightly better.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:39 AM   #11
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhpee View Post
2015 Flagstaff 30 foot. How can I get the movement out of this trailer while camping ? Too much rocking wobble.
It's what I refer to as "jounce". Because you rig sits on pneumatic tires and uses flexible springs, or torsion bars you'll will never get rid of it completely unless you raise all the wheels off of the ground. Triangulation. Now there's a fancy word. Strictly a geometric term having nothing to do with stabilization, but it sounds good and gets people to open their wallets. Oh you may bolt on this series of braces and brackets to reinforce your stabilizers, but you're still resting on the tires and suspension. The human being is a biped. We walk on two feet. When we walk our entire body weight is transferred from foot to foot. That is a lot of weight on an area the size of our soles, and every 25-30" (human step), this weight is transmitted to the floor of the RV which is transferred to the suspension. Thus, you have "jounce". Most folks admit that after they've installed these device they say, "well, it helped some, but I still have movement when someone is walking around, or turns over in bed at night". To me, that's a lot money spent for marginal results. My solution is just a pair of 2 ton scissor jacks strategically placed between the wheels and the tongue. They're inexpensive, easy to set up with a power driver and reduce the "jounce" considerably, but not 100%, and I'm good with that. At my age I have more important things to do besides hanging iron underneath.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote