Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2019, 07:43 PM   #21

Paint issues with Rockwood jack.

Having the same issue with my new Rockwood 2109S. The camper is at the dealer now with several warranty issues. Will be interesting to see if they replace it. Like the trailer but am kind of amazed at the workmanship on a $25,000+ camper. Our 2011 Kodiak had zero issues the whole time we owned it.
farmallm51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:56 PM   #22

Anything not made right at the assembly plant gets shipped in from outside suppliers. The frames are made by mfgrs. such as Lippert who ship them by open flatbed trailers. They sit outside at Lippert before shipping and then they sit outside at FR before being brought in to build a trailer on them. Same with the jacks and other metal items. They sit outside before being installed. No wonder they get rusty so quickly.
Oafdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:29 AM   #23

Our neighbors bought a 2019 GeoPro about a year ago.

The stabilizers started rusting. They brought the camper back to the dealership and had replacements installed about a month ago.

Rich

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
Our neighbors bought a 2019 GeoPro about a year ago.

The stabilizers started rusting. They brought the camper back to the dealership and had replacements installed about a month ago.

Rich
It's nice they were replaced under warranty I assume. When I saw the difference in quality between my replacement and the OEM jacks I decided I'd rather have the better jacks.

When looking at the OE jacks, the main issue is with the operating screw. The OE screw has really ragged threads (like cutting tool was dull) and where joined to the operating nut they are welded in with a spot weld and not even centered in the sleeve that's part of the nut.

Maybe no big deal if operating with with the hand wrench but when using a cordless drill, the off center nut/shaft alignment shakes the socket off the nut.

My replacement jack has a nice smooth operating screw with a properly cut Acme Thread, is centered in the nut fixture and neatly welded. Operates with my cordless drill nice and smooth.

Too bad FR didn't go with the better quality. Online purchase price is less for the good jack versus the Lippert version which I believe is what FR used as OEM.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:42 PM   #25

I don't care if it's a vendor part or a FR made part! The final product is from FR and they are responsible for any QC issues. If its not good don't use it!
farmallm51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:43 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmallm51 View Post
I don't care if it's a vendor part or a FR made part! The final product is from FR and they are responsible for any QC issues. If its not good don't use it!

Sadly decisions like that are often made by someone sitting at a desk and only sees warranty repair data. Often things like this never reach the warranty reports as owners just junk the old part and buy something better when they fail or just start to look like crap.

Often the dealer is a fair distance away and the cost of towing the TT to and from the Dealer exceeds the cost of the replacement parts (Fuel, Drive Time, Sitting and waiting for repair time (days, even weeks), motivates many to just do the repairs themselves. Especially if it only involves a few nuts and bolts.

Back to the "guy at the desk", he'll continue to purchase the cheapest item available, choosing items solely based on cost and not a single care about quality.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:13 PM   #27

Seems like no big deal? Our camper is 5 years old...just paid 700.00 to replace the entire front stabilizer system. One leg rusted right down the middle. When they went to try to replace the leg they noticed the electronic stabilizers are installed on a single beam so they go up and down equally. And the main beam was also rusting through. So take it seriously and maintain them or start saving for expensive new ones. I have a 2013 vlite by the way...
kkhslh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:35 PM   #28

Welcome to RV ownership. Ours is 8 years old and I wire brush them and spray paint almost every fall and WD 40 the threads once every three months. After all I am sure these levelers are purchased from the cheapest source a bid process can find. Thought about up grading to real jacks but not worth the expense. Good luck with your camper.
(2011-42)
Cmmjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:36 PM   #29

Good paint, bad paint...

Years ago we had paint that stuck. Now we have stuff that lasts only long enough to leave the factory.

I blame it on the new paints, and the fact the factories don't know how to properly apply them. Look at all the pick-up trucks and vans with peeling paint on the hood that are only a few years old.

I'm all for environmental considerations, but with new low-VOC materials and processes, proper training is essential.

Maybe some day they'll get it right.
nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:50 PM   #30
guysa

Mine look 10 times worse after the first year and after 2 years, don’t want to talk about it. Unfortunately, the coating is of very poor quality. Clean as best as possible and paint with a protective coating
guysa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:17 PM   #31

Yep, our 2019 2507S did the it after just 4 months. Was going to replace them or ask for new ones, but traded the unit in on a new 2020 model instead.
Delnari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:30 PM   #32

To the op- good luck getting every little problem fixed on warranty .These don’t have warranties like new cars . If you take it to a dealer they will probably laugh at you . And after it goes off of warranty it will be $80-$100 an hour for any kind of labor to be done . The dealer I bought my trailer from is famous for being booked out on warranty work for 3 months. I have a college degree in electronics plus mechanic and welding skills so nobody touches my trailer .Look up Steve Lehto on YouTube . If you not good with your hands expect to spend money or sell it and go on cruises.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:56 PM   #33

News Alert

The ome jacks are crap. Usually undersized. Go with heavier. Harbor Freight USA, Princess Auto, Canada. Fighting rust on these is a lost cause.
Spray white grease often and move on!!!! There never going to look pretty!!! LOL
Nightrainzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:06 AM   #34

I agree with Oafdawg. Good luck with getting a warranty replacement for peeling paint. Get a wire brush and a can of spray paint, or even better undercoating spray, and move on. It will take less time than trying to pursue a warranty claim and you will end up doing that in the end anyway. Just my opinion.
Thearcher01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:53 AM   #35

Stabilizer Jacks Under Warranty

We had this same issue with a 2018 GeoPro 14FK. Within six months of ownership, the paint had peeled on all four jacks. Our first Forest River camper from the late 90's that we used forever had no such issue - ever. It's the way of the world. Submit a request for a replacement under the warranty. We did, Forest River did honor it, the RV dealer replaced the jacks with a product from their shelves, and we are hoping for the best.
CampingClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:08 AM   #36

Our MicroLite is going to the factory for a slide wall and front window replacement. We have asked them to replace the rusted stabilizer jacks. We’ll see if it happens. If not no big deal as they will probably put the same poorly painted ones back on. If that’s the case we’ll buy new better quality jacks.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #37

Rusty Jacks

Thanks for posting this. I thought I was the only one that had this issue (2019 25DKS).
bruspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:25 AM   #38

Did Claudia call here Dealer ?
Love our 25FBLS, Power Tong Jack has a short,
Microwave door will not pop open ?
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:40 PM   #39
A Mile High & a Mile Deep

Rusty Metal re-do

I've had good luck with the Rustoleum "Rusty Metal Primer" for the primer coat.
That way, if you don't get all the rust wire brushed off, it will stick to the rusty places.
pcsdpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:13 AM   #40

Paint pealing

Had the same issue with my 2019 Catalina I called Forest River and they replaced all four stabilizers. They said it had something to do with bad Paint
arcdb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stabilizer