Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2019, 09:43 AM   #41

I have had really good luck with Rustoleum Rust Reformer. Its basically black matte bbq paint with phosphoric acid added to it. It will make it look new again and stop the rust in its tracks. Like other have said. Just keep a can in the trailer somewhere, you will be using it all the time. I use it on everything frame and frame related. The chains, the jacks, everything black and metal under the trailer. Works very well and looks factory new when your done.

Here is a link. I think I buy it at Home Depot. It has a picture of outdoor metal furniture on it.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca.../rust-reformer
stephensatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:59 AM   #42

Yes, I called the dealer. They submitted the claim to Forest River. The dealer then installed new jacks. BTW we requested and were allowed to keep the old jacks in case the new ones also rust out, so we'll have a spare ...
CampingClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:41 PM   #43

We had the same issue. I scraped the paint off, and then put a good primer. Then I painted them with spray on bedliner. Seems more robust than paint to help with rock chips and such. Did it 5 months ago and it still looks like I did it yesterday.

Old 10-16-2019, 01:05 PM   #44

Bed Liner / Undercoat is good stuff

Totally forgot about that. I didn't tell you that every single trailer I have bought. The very first thing I do is I stop off at Home Depot with the new trailer on the way home and I buy several cans, the NOBO took 6 cans, of that Rustoleum bedliner/ undercoat spray.

I spray all metal parts , thats the entire frame from the trailer front to back inside and out, especially where it meets up with the wood OSB boards underneath the trailer and the jacks. I do that because I take the trailer onto the beach quite a bit here in Texas and it works very well for stopping rust from forming in the first place.

The undercoat material will last several years and then you need to power wash underneath and do it again. Water rot and rust has always been the number #1 issue I have had with ALL my trailers.
stephensatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:07 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensatt View Post
I have had really good luck with Rustoleum Rust Reformer. Its basically black matte bbq paint with phosphoric acid added to it. It will make it look new again and stop the rust in its tracks. Like other have said. Just keep a can in the trailer somewhere, you will be using it all the time. I use it on everything frame and frame related. The chains, the jacks, everything black and metal under the trailer. Works very well and looks factory new when your done.

Here is a link. I think I buy it at Home Depot. It has a picture of outdoor metal furniture on it.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca.../rust-reformer
Definitely good paint.

For those who want to re-finish their and paint with a longer lasting paint, take the jacks apart. Go to a local automotive machine shop that has either a "Heated Dip Tank" or "Cabinet type parts washer". Either will remove any loose paint and oils from the metal. Wire brush any rusty spots and then repaint. maybe two coats. Reassemble and enjoy.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:45 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruspell View Post
Thanks for posting this. I thought I was the only one that had this issue (2019 25DKS).
x2. Mine started rusting on my micro-lite shortly after about a year.
5.3 V8, 3:73 Rear, Tow Package

JKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:13 PM   #47

Got tired of dealing with the crap paint on the stabilizers. Started the first year of ownership. Finally replaced all 4 with BAL stabilizers. The OEM's are so thin, was worried the rusting would soon weaken the sub standard jacks even more.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stabilizer