Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2019, 09:16 PM   #1

steps in for storage

a google search confirms what i have found on my georgetown, the steps can't be turned off and kept retracted and open the door; without adding switches/magnets/etc.

my storage barn is a tight fit. will it hurt anything to let the steps open into and be stopped short by a wall while i exit the last time? when i shut the door, they will of course retract.

thanks.
cmitcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:34 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

When you park it for the last time, and turn off the ignition key, the steps will be in the retracted position......right?

Before you open the door to leave, just place a fairly strong magnet near the magnet on the frame of the door. The step mechanism will “think” the door is still closed, keeping the steps retracted, and you can jump down to get out. It’s a bit of a drop, but if you grab the handrail, it’s doable.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitcham View Post
a google search confirms what i have found on my georgetown, the steps can't be turned off and kept retracted and open the door; without adding switches/magnets/etc.

my storage barn is a tight fit. will it hurt anything to let the steps open into and be stopped short by a wall while i exit the last time? when i shut the door, they will of course retract.

thanks.
The magnet will work but it should not hurt the steps at all to allow them to stop short due to interference. They are designed to stop when the current draw reaches a preset level within the step controller. Wherever they stop they will retract normally when closing the door and be ready to extend normally when the door is again opened.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:44 AM   #4

I have a bad habit of getting too close to the curb when parking in rest stops when there is no other parking available. Step has hit the curb many times when not fully extended. Been fine so far.
BirdeeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:19 AM   #5

thanks guys, that was the answer I was hoping for
cmitcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:59 PM   #6

OP did not state year of GT. On later models, there is a switch on the left side of starwell that can be used to lock out the steps. It is next to the hous3 battery disconnect.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdog01 View Post
OP did not state year of GT. On later models, there is a switch on the left side of starwell that can be used to lock out the steps. It is next to the hous3 battery disconnect.
There is no factory installed lockout switch to keep the steps (Lippert/kwikee) from extending when the screen door is opened. The step switch will keep the steps from retracting however (Lippert, switch off/Kwikee, switch on). That's why some have installed their own "lockout switch" to fool the system into thinking the screen door is still closed when opened. It matters not what position the system switch is in (on/off) the steps will extend when the screen door is opened. Even with ignition on the steps will extend when the screen door is opened.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage