Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2017, 08:17 AM   #1

Steps won't go back in when door closes

Steps are out currently. Can't get them back in. Wondering if there is a fuse or loose wire underneath? Or is there a way to disconnect the electric system so can put back in manually?
mikeleclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:30 AM   #2

Have you tried "flipping" the step switch to the other position. When the switch is in one of the two positions, the steps will not retract so you don't walk out the door and the steps are retracted- not a good result!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:44 AM   #3

Yes tried that and tried flipping on and off the disconnect battery switch and that do not work either
mikeleclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:06 AM   #4

Is this a motor home? If so the step is powered from the chassis battery and not the house battery so battery disconnect should make no difference (well at least it is on my MH). Just try closing the door and turning on the ignition and listen for the step motor operating. If it works then its just a matter of figuring out where your step switch is and making sure it is in the correct position.

This is how mine works, ignition off, step switch off - when door is open step goes out and stays out when door is subsequently opened and closed.

Ignition off, step switch on - when door is open step goes out, when door is open step goes in.
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:25 AM   #5

I'm assuming you have kwikee steps. The step switch must be off for the steps to retract closing the door. The magnetic switch on the door is what triggers the steps to extend and retract. The Kwikee door magnetic door switch is normally open and therefore when the door is closed the switch closes. The main step power should be via an inline fuse directly off the coach batteries (Motorhome). If this is a motorhome the ignition override will retract steps if the door is closed no matter what the step power switch position is (on or off). If the power fuse is good it sounds like the door magnetic switch is not actuating. The magnetic switch provides a ground to the step controller.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
padcarroll

This happened to us on a Legacy MH. We found that we had knocked the magnet off the screen door which prevented the steps from retracting. Luckily I found the magnet on the ground and glued it back on the door which fixed the problem. If I recall, the step did retract when the ignition was on.

Dave and Pam Carroll
Callie - 9 yo chihuahua/yorky mix
2014 Legacy SR300 340BH
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Full-timing since January 2016
padcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:20 PM   #7

My magnet on the door does not line up perfectly with sensor and the steps will not come in sometimes.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:10 PM   #8
7 Year Class A RV'er

Mine did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Look under the steps and find the electrical connection plug. Unplug it, blow it out to clean it and reconnect it. Mine just had some road dirt in it and was losing connection. Also, get some sort of waterproof lubricant and give all the pivot and hinge points a quick shot to be sure it isn't binding and overloading the motor. Good luck!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:09 PM   #9
RPT

Buy a magnet

I had this problem but even worse the steps would come out while driving!!! And it only happened in freezing weather.
The solution is I bought a magnet and slide it on the side of the stairwelll towards the door and it closes. Slide it back away and the steps slide in.
A $2.00 solution. Once in hot weather I have. No problems. I don't care to investigate more. I have disregarded all other advice about where the stairs are connected where the fuses are etc. A magnet that is it.
RPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:05 PM   #10

I have a friend whose motor home steps did the same thing, he could not get them to retract in, regardless of switch positions. I had him pull the control module out and drop it off. Quickly I determined that one of the relays had overheated and created a cold solder joint on the circuit board. After replacement of the affected part the steps work as they should.
So you might want to add checking the control module for any visible signs of damage to your list.
GT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:29 PM   #11

Check the wires that go to the sensor mine we're shorting out.
Scotty33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:01 AM   #12
2012 Solera

On our Solera, the step motor turns off when the steps are prevented from moving (end of travel stop in or out, hit a curb, etc.). Believe the controller senses increased current when the motor stalls and cuts power. If my steps get stiff - need lube - the motor stalls and power to it turns off (thinks it hit a curb). I can hear the motor start, then power off. I soak it with lube and work it in and out (foot push) until it frees up.
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
door