Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #1

Storage of Honda EU2000i Generator

With safety and space being the priority,
any recommendations as far as storing a Honda EU2000i within the trailer itself?

Can it be stored inside the front storage area in the trailer during travel?
(via the side storage door)

Another *forum mentioned storing it inside the trailer during travel in this..

Any other thoughts or ideas?

"the action packer series in LARGE SIZE (24 gallon in think) is the PERFECT 2000 vessel.made of heavier plastic than the roughneck line and sized exactly...to hold the genset and a cord/dogbone and with a LID that latches firmly at EACH end...initially i didn't think it would be deep enough because the lid is DOUBLE layered...and based on the genset dimensions the top handle wouldn't fit with the lid on.but there are length wise ribs/channels on the lid underside than increase clearance...so the gen set handle fits snugly into one of these channels...the lid is very tight fitting, especially with the locking handles at each end...but for extra sealing a thin strip of rubber gasket can be placed in the lid perimeter groove...these cost more than the rough neck series, but are worth ever penny..."

mooneybeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

First of all, I don't have a generator, and don't have room in my trailer to carry one. My only concern would be if traveling with the refer on propane, I would want to make sure no gas fumes from the generator could get near the refer. These generators may have a one way vented cap like a chain saw or weed eater, co that no fumes get out, only let air in as gas is used, but I don't know. That is my two cents.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:49 PM   #3

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
We carry our Yamaha generator in the truck bed, but that looks like a good way to go for storing it in the front storage area!

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:15 AM   #4

...good point about the refer being on when driving windrider. Fumes are the biggest concern..

mooneybeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:38 AM   #5

I store my Yamaha in the pass-through. I have never even smelled gasoline when I open the storage area. I always make sure the exhaust has cooled before storing the unit.
akrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #6
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
We have the Honda EU2000i generators...LOVE LOVE LOVE them. When traveling we store them in the bed of our pick-up truck. Fit nicely...very small and light. If you do put them in your trailer just secure them. We have tie downs in our floor...so not a problem for us.

When NOT in use we keep them in our garage at home...and on the road... in the back of the truck secured! Good luck...ours do not smell or leak gas...such a wonderful little generator!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooneybeem View Post

Any other thoughts or ideas?
This is probably more expensive and involved than you are considering, but you asked for any thoughts or ideas, so here is what we use:

We have a generator carrier from Let's Go Aero. It is large enough to fit both of our Honda EU2000i generators with room left for fire wood and 6-gallon water jugs.

GearDeck 17 Towable Generator Carrier - Let's Go Aero - Generator STO Cargo Carrier (GearDeck™ 17)

I have a receiver hitch welded to the rear of our fifth wheel for it to fit into. I realize there is a debate about welding a hitch to the frame. I am not trying to continue the debate about it, it is simply what I have done.

You can see it here in this photograph:

It has worked well for us. No fumes in the trailer to worry about, protected from the elements, out of sight and some what secure (unfortunately nothing is completely secure these days).

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:43 PM   #8

I have a Honda 2000 that I store it inside my TT when traveling. It fits between the slideout and the couch. The fit is pretty good and stops any fore and aft movement. It can not tip over. It is carpeted there so it doesn't slide. Since the generator gas tank has a vent valve on it, there are no fumes when the valve is closed.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote