Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2019, 06:26 PM   #21

Re:Badsmell in the trailer

I dumped a small pastic container in my trans am trunk in the summertime when temperatures were hot hot hot. It remained there in the heat for several days before the spillage became evident.i learned that ambulances hearse etc. Have Used whole coffee beans to absorb the smell. I took a pound of whole coffee beans, sprinkled it around in my trunk and left it there for about five to six days. After that time I vacuumed them up and the smell was gone. I realize that yours is a larger situation but it might be worth a try on a larger scale. good luck.!!
PS... Don't try to use the coffee beans afterwards LOL
ciszzco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:43 PM   #22
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchcreek View Post
I had an unpleasant smell for over a year not long after purchasing a new Class C. It took me a while and the purchase of a gas detector to run down a leaking propane connection under the sofa where the furnace resides. Oddly, there was no rotten egg smell and it never set off the alarm. But the connection was so loose that it must have never been more than hand tightened during the build, and some miles on our highways loosened it further.
Glad you found that one. Propane doesn't generally emit a rotten egg smell like refined natural gas. Still has a pretty unique smell though.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
Formaldehyde and other out-gassed (or off-gassed) chemicals typically diminish with time...kind of like on a "half-life" schedule. A few months should do it.

Intense heat and/or high humidity will accelerate the out-gassing process. That's why it's worse in FL than up north. That heat MAY be accelerating the curing process.
Ventilation is your friend. If you are sealed up in a tin can with the AC on recirc so you recycle the same inside air, you our sealing in the contaminants.

Propane combustion also adds formaldehyde to the air. If cooking inside, be sure to use the range exhaust fan to remove combustion byproducts.

One other concern. Occasionally a product will come through that is not properly cured/finished at the factory. Foams in cushions, carpet and carpet padding and so on are particularly likely to be culprits, but so can fabrics, adhesives, laminate flooring, and so on. My mother was chemically injured (leaving permanent scarring in her bronchial tubes and lungs) from improperly cured carpet padding in her home. It took her years to recover a significant portion of her respiratory capacity...she never fully recovered.

These gasses are unhealthy, so you should do your level best to ventilate as much as possible and understand that the process takes time. There is no way to accelerate the curing of adhesives in wood products, foam, fabrics, flooring, and so on.

Most people handle occasional exposure to these chemicals fairly well. But some people are very vulnerable. Let your "nose" be your guide. If the smell is oppressive, limit your exposure. Ventilate, ventilate, ventilate.
BUT IF THAT FAILS, hunt down the culprit. A single bad item, like an improperly cured foam cushion on the dinette or mattress might NEVER cure. That's a manufacturing defect, and the item will relentlessly poison you.
If you suspect that's the case, then it's time to locate the offending item and get it out of your environment.

More on formaldehyde.

Testing devices.

Suggestions for dealing with formaldehyde.

CDC info on formaldehyde

I am the former executive director of he New York Coalition for Alternatives to Pesticides. Our focus stretched to include indoor air contamination from synthetics, insulation, adhesives, and so on. I've testified before the EPA on the subject of chemical contaminants and human health. Don't ignore this. Each person is different, and if the smell is "oppressive" to you, that means it's harming you.

While everything posted in this thread is helpful, this post is where you should spend your time reading and researching the most. I realize it is a lot do read, but if you really care about the problem you are having, you will, more likely than not, find your solution right here.

As far as just getting rid of the odor goes, though, you could try renting or buying an ozone generator. It will kill the odors for sure. But, you won’t know for sure when the off-gassing is finished because you won’t be able to smell it.

Bruce
Old 01-05-2019, 11:34 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dndfunteam View Post
A little back ground. We have a 2019 mini lite rock wood. We took it out 3 times up in Ohio no problems with smell. We just became snow bunny’s.
In Florida now. When we go to bed at night close up windows the smell gets a lot stronger. I read that this could be chemicals they use on the cheaper trailers. It’s not egg smell or sewer smells

Question what do you use to get rid of smell?
How long will this keep up?

I read maybe try white vinegar but that smells
Open as much of the TT as you can,,,
leave it open as much as you can for at least 3 or 4 days !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote