Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Question Submitting a Repair Bill to FR

You may have seen my thread about me now having decent radio reception in my Rockwood.

The dealer had convinced FR that the radio reception in my area was lousy, so FR had suggested that they would supply me w/ a sat' radio unit, but I balked @ that idea because I wasn't interested in paying for a subscription. I had the unit back to the dealer in the spring. We found the issue, but they weren't able to fix the cable termination problem. I just decided to let the issue go & have the local electronics wizard have a look.

He fixed it for me in about 10 minutes & is going to write me up a bill that I am planning to submit to FR. Has anyone had any success in sending a bill for repair work on a warranty issue that wasn't performed by the FR dealer? Or should I have gotten the OK from FR beforehand? I don't remember the name of the person I had talked during the winter.

If FR says I should've taken it back to the dealer, I plan on saying that the repair bill is less than what it would've cost me to drop the trailer off @ the dealer & pick it up (an hour's drive each way, so 4 hours of driving).

Should you have been successful in getting re-imbursed recently, could you provide me w/ the name of the person you dealt w/ & their contact info?

It would be greatly appreciated & this whole mess can be closed.

Thanks in advance.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:00 PM   #2

I would talk to someone first about the circumstances rather than just send them a bill. I would have also taken thier offer on a satellite radio, just adds retail value to the unit for resale. You could have tried it out for a bit to see if you like it (most people do). If you didn't want to try it out you aren't obligated to sign up for service just because you have the radio.

Just my .02
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:00 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrnd View Post
The dealer had convinced FR that the radio reception in my area was lousy
NW, that isn't the case as I'm now able to get 16 FM stations in Apsley. I get about the same number of stations in my truck. If reception had been crappy I might've gone for it. But then again, I don't do much camping near my home.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:25 PM   #4

Quote:
NW, that isn't the case as I'm now able to get 16 FM stations in Apsley. I get about the same number of stations in my truck. If reception had been crappy I might've gone for it. But then again, I don't do much camping near my home.
Ummm, O.K. you lost me here as you quoted yourself.

My point is you could have had a satellite radio for no charge whether you used it or not and had your original fixed as you did. The satellite radio would have only been a good selling point in the future to a prospective buyer.

Glad you got your radio fixed but per MY post I would talk to someone at FR first before you submit a bill. I am sure they will take care of it.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:47 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

NW, I'll check thru the forum for some of the contact info that's been posted. As it was looking @ the time, I didn't think I'd be able to get the FM reception problem fixed & I seemed to be getting conflicting info from the dealer & FR contact (I don't have his name or number). Plus there were more pressing family issues to deal w/ as well @ the time.

I don't have a lot of experience w/ sat' radio, so I wasn't really interested in going down that route. If I don't have any radio when I'm in northern Ontario, no big deal as I managed for 2 months once when I was working up there.

I guess my frustration arises from the fact that I had to go on my own & find someone to fix it. Neither FR or the dealer suggested that I find a automotive stereo technician to service my unit. It basically was, "the radio reception sucks where you live/oh that cable doesn't look good/we don't know how to fix it/oh well".

Old 08-04-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
Wanna Be Camper

I think you should have got the OK from FR before you took the unit to someone to get it fixed and that could be held against you but FR seems quite reasonable. But you kind of answered you own question in the statement that it cost you less to have that guy fix it than to drive to the dealer and back which would have been on your dime anyway so I am having a hard time trying to figure out in the first place why you want FR to pay but that just me I guess.

I am not trying to be an ***** but what you want doesn't make sense to me, what does though is the fact your dealer didn't try to follow through on getting your unit fixed and somehow convined FR of the same.

Good luck with your claim.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
Villa Estate 392FLFB

they call 16 stations lousy? i get 2 here!
Old 08-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #8

Quote:
He fixed it for me in about 10 minutes.
10 minutes?
Is this bill worth submitting? How much $ are we talking about? Just asking.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:47 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

He was at my trailer for 10 minutes, but I don't know how much of his own time he spent making the pigtail connection.

Guys, I don't want to start anything, but a common theme in threads about quality complaints is that the RV owner fixes the problem on his own. The pics of the loose fasteners found in 1 RV is brutal. People say as long as buyers put up w/ the shoddy workmanship & poor quality components, the OEMs will continue in the same lackadaisical manner.

Some of you have said that FR's Quality Control dep't is non-existant or archaic @ best. Wouldn't it be helpful to future RV purchasers for me to notify FR as to how my issue was dealt with, even if I don't get reimbursed?

What actually was a poor electrical connection was going to be solved by throwing a sat' radio system @ the trailer. IMO, if the dealer wasn't able to properly diagnose the cable problem, should I have faith in them to install a new radio that would be different than the existing unit.

Right now as far as the dealer (who I haven't spoken to since March) & FR are concerned, I'm content w/ the situation.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #10

I understand fully what you're getting at. And, you're right. FR needs to know how much work the customers do to correct problem of assembly on these units. The Quality Control Department is either failing to catch these problems or the decision makers just don't care. They are getting away with quite a bit of repair cost.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Bad Radio Reception

After 28 years in the radio business, Bad grounding for the antenna and radio chassis is the most common problem with NO AM reception and weak FM signals. If your radio will not receive AM stations unless you are setting directly on top of the transmitter and very few FM signals when there are 25-30 FM radio stations with-in 30-40 miles (FM RANGE). Ground the radio chassis and the antenna mount. The antenna ground shield is isolated from the chassis. When the radios are installed in a RV at the factory, there is no metal in the roof to ground the antenna to.

It takes a pretty smart "BUBBA" at the factory (installer) to do a correct installation including a GOOD GROUND for the antenna which sometimes will require a good ground ALL THE WAY TO THE RV CHASSIE OR FRAME. The ground for the 12 VOLT system is not EARTH GROUND!

28 YEARS OF RADIO WORK
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:47 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Daisy, now that the antenna's coax cable is properly connected to the receiver, the FM reception is fine. Probably almost as good as what my truck gets @ that location. I haven't tried the AM as there aren't any left in the area. Any AM stations that dis transmit, have migrated to the FM band.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:38 AM   #13
Wanna Be Camper

After rereading you post and then what I originally said, I guess I came off as an ***** and didn't mean to. I totally agree that FR needs to know what is going on with their dealers and how some just don't get the fact they reason they exist is because of us the customer. Treat us like you know what and watch the sales go bye bye or that is the way it should be. So even if you never get reimbursed by FR, if they at the very least acknowledge your issue that will be a small win for us little guys and hopefully lead to a better product. I know our new 2011 does not have great reception but then neither did our previous 2009 Edgewater (actually the Edgewater was worse)

Good luck.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:21 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Guys, here's an update on my situation. I called & left a message w/ Greg Rollins & he returned my message. He told me to email him w/ an explanation & a copy of the repair bill. He would pass it on to the proper people.

I checked the mail this past Monday before we left on our camping trip & there was a cheque from FR. I haven't had a chance to send an email to Mr. Rollins for the assistance..

Old 09-24-2010, 10:06 PM   #15

Glad to hear you received your reimbursement for FR. Good deal.