Old 12-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #1

sunseeker 3100s

Hi all have just bought my RV its an 06 plate i have no user manuel for the van i need to know if it has electric heating i have a duo therm thermastate in bedroom the furnace is a suburban gas?

Old 12-08-2009, 11:50 AM   #2

I have the 3100ssLTD 08' and do not think so. Over thanksgiving we were in GA and it was cool. I turned on the water heater and there was a nice gas flame. So I guess the water heater is gas not electric. The furnice is gas with a fan or heat pump that works off electric but the heater is gas.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkpr View Post
Hi all have just bought my RV its an 06 plate i have no user manuel for the van i need to know if it has electric heating i have a duo therm thermastate in bedroom the furnace is a suburban gas?
Most RVs use the same appliances as there are only a few manufacturers. Heating is by way of the propane fired furnace. The furnace runs on 12volts for the fan and is most likely made by Suburban.

Your water heater is most likely a gas/electric. Most units made in the last 5 years or so come standard with them. However you will NOT have a switch inside the rig to turn on the electric element in the water heater. This is found on the heater itself behind the access door on the outside of the rig. They are small switches and located sometimes behind the gas pipe making them hard to find. You can run both elec and gas at the same time on the water heater.

The Duotherm thermostat more than likely is because it probably controls the furnace as well as one of the roof air conditioners (not always the case though) Does it have a Heat/cool switch on it? A picture would be best on that for us to help.

RVs do not come with "owners manuals" like a car does, what they do come with is very vague. You can find most documents online from the appropriate manufacturers web sites.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:43 PM   #4

re

Hi thanks for the replys i am getting confused with the water heater and heating i thought the switch on the furnace turned on the electric heating but its the water heater, silly me
thanks all
Old 12-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkpr View Post
Hi thanks for the replys i am getting confused with the water heater and heating i thought the switch on the furnace turned on the electric heating but its the water heater, silly me
thanks all
kwkpr, The THERMOSTAT turns on the furnace. There is a switch on the wall somewhere that will be labled "water heater" it turns on the GAS side of the water heater only. AND, you should also have an electric element inside the water heater that is turned on outside the rig on the water heater itself. There is no "electric heat" for the rig. The furnace, as stated before, runs on propane and has a 12volt blower to circulate the heat.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 12-08-2009, 02:07 PM   #6

You can have electric heat for the MH by buying an electric 1500 heater at a store and plugging it into an outlet.... then the gas heater doesn't have to work as hard and you save fuel.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxfl View Post
You can have electric heat for the MH by buying an electric 1500 heater at a store and plugging it into an outlet.... then the gas heater doesn't have to work as hard and you save fuel.
Exactly what we do, saves on propane too. On our old rig we could heat the entire thing with one 1500w heater. I really like the idea of doing as much as I can with the electricity that we are paying for in a campground and saving my expensive propane.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 12-09-2009, 09:48 AM   #8
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Name:   analog-thermostat.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  4.7 KB
Is your thermostat on the wall like this? or is it a built in selector switch on the bottom of the AC unit grille? If it's on the wall does your thermostat have a marking on the selector switch for Heat Strip? I have the small electric strip heater in each of my AC units which can be used instead of propane. It does real well on mild days and will take the chill off off when it's colder outside. If your thermostat only has Furnace / AC / Off then you don't have a strip heat inside the AC unit.
If your unit has the t-stat selector built in the bottom of the grille and it has a Heat Strip marking there may not be one in there. Our trailer was set up this way, but I was able to add one. It's a simple plug in unit with 2 screws and is available at most RV Stores.

http://www.adventurerv.net/dometic-d...ner-p-185.html

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote