Old 04-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #1

Surge Protectors

Good evening, I've been reading a lot about Surge Protectors and the question I have as I"m trying to decide on whether to buy one is whether having the Surge protector would also protect my family and I from possible "hot skin" condition?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some guidance on this.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #2

my first reaction is that the surge suppressor isn't going to protect u from a bad ground. there may be units that will.
the surge suppressor is a good idea regardless.
the only place i use one in my trailer is the computer.
the cost has stopped me from a whole house unit. i still wouldn't argue against one. (do as i say do but not as i do).

Old 04-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #3

Buy one, cheap protection from a number of possible issues and costly repairs. But get a good one, we have been using this one EMS-PT30C worked great, and yes at a few campgrounds it found issues and we either had to change spots, or the camp owners corrected them. The first thing I purchased after we upgraded to a 5th wheel this year was a 50 amp version from the same mfg. Rather be safe than sorry but I also run a laptop computer for business while camping and wanted to protect it.
2006 Police Roadking FLHPi
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #4

u can't argue with that one, surge, polarity, open ground...looks like it has it all and the price is right. abt half what i've seen.
that's enough to make do as i say do.
ok, i didn't look at the same unit. freq is not important...grid is maintained to very tight tolerance. disconnect...maybe.
surge and polarity very important.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy View Post
But get a good one, we have been using this one EMS-PT30C worked great, and yes at a few campgrounds it found issues and we either had to change spots, or the camp owners corrected them.
I have gotten mixed opions on surge protectors and whether or not I need one for my TT. I just bit the bullet and brought one. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ge-guard/18336

Like said before better to be safe than sorry. $250 is hard on my piggy bank but it's a lot cheaper than rewiring the TT. With summer coming around the corner I started worrying about the extra demand at campgrounds and being at the mercy of the unknown.

AS for the EMS-PT30C listed above, I don't the difference between it and the one I got last weekend. However, I like the fact that it is designed to allow you to secure it to help prevent theft. I might consider changing surge protectors.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
I have gotten mixed opions on surge protectors and whether or not I need one for my TT. I just bit the bullet and brought one. Technology Research Corp - Portable 30 amp Surge Guard - Surge Protectors - Camping World

Like said before better to be safe than sorry. $250 is hard on my piggy bank but it's a lot cheaper than rewiring the TT. With summer coming around the corner I started worrying about the extra demand at campgrounds and being at the mercy of the unknown.

AS for the EMS-PT30C listed above, I don't the difference between it and the one I got last weekend. However, I like the fact that it is designed to allow you to secure it to help prevent theft. I might consider changing surge protectors.
My understanding is, there is a big difference between the EMS and what you purchased, a surge protector does just that protects you from surges, however, a drop in power (volts) "brown out" can actually cause more damage (appliances, electronics) than a surge, as your fuses will usually trip as well in a surge maybe to late to protect the electronics though. The EMS also protects against voltage drops "brown out' conditions and can detect polarity reversal, and bad ground conditions, all of which could cause issues. I am no expert here so someone more with more electrical background may want to weigh in, my choice of the EMS was from research, and discussions, but it has worked well for us.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #7

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Your on the right track Camper Lucy. I have the EMC-PT30 from Progressive Industries. I bought mine for $271 on line a few weeks ago. For the money its the best one out thier. It gives you also a continous read out of volts and as Lucy said shuts you down in low-voltage situations plus the polarity reversal and bad ground conditions.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #8

Thanks for the information. Although I had not planned on spending the money on one, from everything I've read it is money well spent especially if I consider the possible costs involved in replacing tv laptop and I pad! But I'm still very confused about the hot skin condition and whether or not this would shut off the power to my tt if it was detected?
Old 04-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #9

I've always had problems parting with the money. Most surge suppressors will take one good hit then become unreliable.
Thermal overload inside the compressor should protect it. DC circuits (control boards) are surge, low, and high voltage protected by the battery.
How many have surge suppressors on ur home?
To me the value would be in checking for proper wiring ie loose or burnt unseen connections.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #10

"Hot skin" is a bad ground condition, EMS monitors ground fault conditions, surge suppressors do not. As best i could figure from goggle searches of hot skin, and ground faults.