Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #1

SV 302 Water tank Fell out!

Did anyone ever hear of this happening before? while driving to one of our favorite camping sites, on our planned 6 day trip! my water tank fell out of my trailer! The one bracket was fastened with two small self tapping bolts, they broke and the tank fell out of the bottom of my 2010 SV 302 travel trailer tearing out some wiring for the slide and taillights. I'm now looking for a contact at Forest River to see if they will step up and help me replace my tank! this is the second season using this trailer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0103.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	7260  
Brandt Excavating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #2

Forrest River Customer Service
574 206 7600
Ron Roff
574 825 8602

Good luck.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #3

That is ridiculous. FR should step up, keep us posted, about a month ago there was another thread on someones straps on his black tank breaking, I will look for it.

Was your tank full or empty?

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:13 PM   #4

I just bought a 2012 19RR picked it up Sat Aug 6th they had filled the water tank at the RV store to test everything and then I had them drain it for the 550 mile trip back home. At about 100 miles from the RV dealer I stopped to get gas and I hear a scrapping sound, 2 of the thin brackets tore off and the third was dragging. I think that the self tapping screws are to thin in diameter and they possibly have the straps to tight to the tank when it's empty and then when its filled the straps tear thorough the small bolts. Let me know what they say. I'm calling tomorrow.
ohbaysoftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #5

Thanks All, Looks like Forest River looks after their customers! They tell me that they will cover the tank! Its great to see that some companies still care! Thanks Forest River.
Andy Brandt,
Brandt Excavating
Brandt Excavating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandt Excavating View Post
Thanks All, Looks like Forest River looks after their customers! They tell me that they will cover the tank! Its great to see that some companies still care! Thanks Forest River.
Andy Brandt,
Brandt Excavating
Great news and thanks for posting that FR have stepped up to the plate, its good to know that they will accept responsibility when required.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandt Excavating View Post
Did anyone ever hear of this happening before? while driving to one of our favorite camping sites, on our planned 6 day trip! my water tank fell out of my trailer! The one bracket was fastened with two small self tapping bolts, they broke and the tank fell out of the bottom of my 2010 SV 302 travel trailer tearing out some wiring for the slide and taillights. I'm now looking for a contact at Forest River to see if they will step up and help me replace my tank! this is the second season using this trailer!
My 2011 Rockwood 2902SS ALMOST had that same issue. I started to fill the water tank and I noticed the under covering was starting to get pushed out. I stopped filling, emptied the water tank and removed the under covering. The brackets that held the water tanks bent. I have sinced replaced the angles with heavier angles to hold the tank weight plus a 25% safety factor. The tank with water is not a static load, once you start to move the trailer and you hit the bumps in the road that load of water can get real heavy.
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #8

2013 Sandpiper 330RL,purchased 1 year and 2 months ago, I was filling the water tank in our drive way before heading on our trip, I heard a loud noise and the water tank feel out from under the camper. The angle iron going from frame to frame was screwed in place, the 3 angle pieces going front to back were only welded on the rear angle support & not in the front. These 3 pieces slipped out under the weight of the tank is what caused the problem. I had the tank repaired with 2'' angle iron@ a cost of 845.00, we got to our camp site and had a water leak and the underbelly is now falling out because of the tank problem.
Thank God we were not driving when this happened, this could have put our entire familys and friends lives in danger not to mention the people behind us. Forest River needs to RECALL all of these campers before someone gets killed. They told me my camper was out of warranty-Come On Guys MAN-UP!!
ALSO, after our 1st trip when we went to drain the tanks water came out before we pulled open any valves, I took it to Camper City in Buford & they put a valve on it to prevent the water coming out BUT it still comes out from a smaller drain pipe. they did not want to have to take out the underbelly to repair the cable. STILL A PROBLEM!

I have used the camper 5 times since our purchase at Camper City in Buford, Ga.
I have sent emails and photos to Forest Rivers customer service dept and to their warranty manager Jeff. I sincerely hope they cover the costs so I don't have to take it to another level..
BILL WHITE is offline   Reply With Quote