Old 07-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #11
IT Guru

Send a message via AIM to jsilvius Send a message via Skype™ to jsilvius
so maybe this isn't the right place to post this, but how to de-couple it correctly.
My weight distribution bars won't drop off. I've had to pry them off and I think I'm damaging them...

2006 Flagstaff 831FKSS
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Turbo Diesel Quad Cab
1 - DH (me); 1 - DW (Tee); 1 - DS (Jarod, 12)
Nights Camping: 2010 - 15; 2011 - 7; 2012 - 9
jsilvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:15 AM   #12
Proud Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsilvius View Post
so maybe this isn't the right place to post this
Probably should have started a new thread, but this is close enough. The administrator may chose to fix that though.

Quote:
but how to de-couple it correctly. My weight distribution bars won't drop off. I've had to pry them off and I think I'm damaging them...
Since you didn't say, I will presume you have trunnion bars resting on what look like brake pads (based on your description of the problem). That is what I have. (See below)

I get mine off by jacking up the trailer with the tongue jack as high as it can bear (It usually does not like the load) then I use the pry bar to release them. They are still a little tight, but not nearly as bad as when the trailer weight was all on the hitch. Also, I sometimes have to give them a little kick in order to move them out of the way so I can get the pry-bar attached properly. I say "little" because it doesn't take much.

Reese SC WD System 800/10,000 lbs
1976 Cessna 177RG
Wife, son, twin daughters, and mother

red.jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #13

Jumping in a little late I know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondlady View Post

Thanks. I watched them both. The link above is exactly what I have. So I have sway bars and a weight distribution in one?
Jan, learning just how much she doesn't know.

I have exactly this setup on my 06 2701SS, and towing it back from WV last weekend, particularly on the highway, I had a bit more sway than I like at 60MPH, of course more when being passed by a semi.

I am interested in updating my sway control, but not sure whether it is better to add another friction sway control or opt for a new hitch with the Reese dual cam setup. If there is another good option, hopefully that works witht he hitch I am presently using, I would appreciate the advice!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:16 PM   #14
Jan Goldfield

sway bar and hitching

That is my next project to learn. I have the video bookmarked so I can just bring the laptop outdoors and see how to do it as I go.
I have an idea that I will live my life at 55 and never see an interstate.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:20 AM   #15

My system is a little different then yours, It is the Reese Weight distribution and sway control system with 12,000 lbs spring bars.
The best way to handle the spring bars safely is to hook the trailer to the ball on the hitch and make sure it is lock down then use the tongue jack to lift the trailer and tow vehicle at the same time, once both are high enough then install the spring bars. This takes the weight off of the back of the tow vehicle and makes it easier to push the spring bars in place. Do the same thing when you are unhooking the camper. If you release the spring bars with weight on them you will get a back lash on the pry bar and this could injure you some where on the lower part of your body as my son found out by not listening to the old man, he walk with a limp for three days because he hurt is knee.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch and hook-up.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	2834  
Old 07-13-2010, 07:12 AM   #16

I'm pretty sure that you could find the instructions, usually a .PDF file, for the installation and adjustment of theses components somewhere on the internet.
Palomino_G210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:04 AM   #17
Wanna Be Camper

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: Travel Trailer Hitch Set-up Procedure

This is about the best info I have found as far as setting up a WD hitch and there are videos on there for setting up the Reese Dual Cam. Some very good info.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:05 AM   #18
IT Guru

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
My system is a little different then yours, It is the Reese Weight distribution and sway control system with 12,000 lbs spring bars.
The best way to handle the spring bars safely is to hook the trailer to the ball on the hitch and make sure it is lock down then use the tongue jack to lift the trailer and tow vehicle at the same time, once both are high enough then install the spring bars. This takes the weight off of the back of the tow vehicle and makes it easier to push the spring bars in place. Do the same thing when you are unhooking the camper. If you release the spring bars with weight on them you will get a back lash on the pry bar and this could injure you some where on the lower part of your body as my son found out by not listening to the old man, he walk with a limp for three days because he hurt is knee.
This is the setup I have. I'll try it as you suggested and see what happens, I keep having to pry them out and I'm worried that I'm going to get hit like your son, or I'm going to break something. I just seems that they don't want to let go. I also found that I can't get them up on the chains as high as I wanted so I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the info.

2006 Flagstaff 831FKSS
Old 07-14-2010, 11:06 AM   #19
IT Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palomino_G210 View Post
I'm pretty sure that you could find the instructions, usually a .PDF file, for the installation and adjustment of theses components somewhere on the internet.
If you find the pdf file somewhere, send me the link, I've been looking for it and I can't find them so far.

Thanks
James

2006 Flagstaff 831FKSS
Old 07-16-2010, 02:23 PM   #20

Quote:
This is the setup I have. I'll try it as you suggested and see what happens, I keep having to pry them out and I'm worried that I'm going to get hit like your son, or I'm going to break something. I just seems that they don't want to let go. I also found that I can't get them up on the chains as high as I wanted so I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the info.
This is what I was told in 2000 when I bought my first camper by the dealer and if you call Reese they will tell you the samething. As far as breaking any thing, your back will break before you break steel.
My camper has a tongue weight of 660lbs plus the weight of the back of my pick-up, so with the trailer hooked to the truck and not raising both units trying to pry up both at the same time with an 18" pry bar will make your eyes pop out of your head, break a sweat and make your knees feel like jelly and then a sharp pain in the lower part of your back. The samething go's if you release the bars, there is a downward thrust and with this kind of weight you can not hold back so you have to make sure there are not body parts in the way. It may take a little more time to hook-up and unhook but it is easier and safer.