Old 08-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #21
IT Guru

Send a message via AIM to jsilvius Send a message via Skype™ to jsilvius
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
My system is a little different then yours, It is the Reese Weight distribution and sway control system with 12,000 lbs spring bars.
The best way to handle the spring bars safely is to hook the trailer to the ball on the hitch and make sure it is lock down then use the tongue jack to lift the trailer and tow vehicle at the same time, once both are high enough then install the spring bars. This takes the weight off of the back of the tow vehicle and makes it easier to push the spring bars in place. Do the same thing when you are unhooking the camper. If you release the spring bars with weight on them you will get a back lash on the pry bar and this could injure you some where on the lower part of your body as my son found out by not listening to the old man, he walk with a limp for three days because he hurt is knee.
You guys Rock!!!!

I went to pick up the Camper on Thursday from the shop and I did what you suggested when hooking it up and I was able to get it up on three chain links like they did when we picked it up for delivery. And it rode a lot better on the way home. When we got it home I jacked it up as high as I could and when I release the chains the spring bars just let go nice and easy.. it was awesome... Now if I can only get an electric jack, because cranking it up and down and up and down is a real pain in the backside!!! But thanks again! This makes it soooo much easier.

2006 Flagstaff 831FKSS
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Turbo Diesel Quad Cab
1 - DH (me); 1 - DW (Tee); 1 - DS (Jarod, 12)
Nights Camping: 2010 - 15; 2011 - 7; 2012 - 9
jsilvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:40 AM   #22

I am glad it worked for you and now after unhooking you can drop down into a chair and enjoy a cold beer with out pain.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsilvius View Post
I went to pick up the Camper on Thursday from the shop and I did what you suggested when hooking it up and I was able to get it up on three chain links like they did when we picked it up for delivery. And it rode a lot better on the way home.
I don't see where you list what WDH you are using, but if it is a Reese then the recommendation by them is to use a minimum of 5 chain lengths between the snap up brackets and the spring bars. If you are using a Reese setup, you may need to tilt the ballmount back a notch to 2 to get the same lift that you are now getting with 3 chain links.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #24

I am on the 5th chain link as mention.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:14 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
My system is a little different then yours, It is the Reese Weight distribution and sway control system with 12,000 lbs spring bars.
The best way to handle the spring bars safely is to hook the trailer to the ball on the hitch and make sure it is lock down then use the tongue jack to lift the trailer and tow vehicle at the same time, once both are high enough then install the spring bars. This takes the weight off of the back of the tow vehicle and makes it easier to push the spring bars in place. Do the same thing when you are unhooking the camper. If you release the spring bars with weight on them you will get a back lash on the pry bar and this could injure you some where on the lower part of your body as my son found out by not listening to the old man, he walk with a limp for three days because he hurt is knee.

I have the same system on my set up. Really works alot better since I spent the time to read the instructions and set it up correctly after the RV dealer intially installed it.

I actually stopped at a rest stop on the way home from getting it unhooked my truck and measured my ride height at each fender and went through all the steps. Made a huge difference. Need to make sure the bars are riding in the correct spot on the cams when the rig is pointed straight.

I also use the power tongue jack to raise and lower each time I hookup.