Old 06-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #1
Jan Goldfield

Sway bars

I got the RV hooked up for the first time this morning. I got to the sway bars and couldn't figure out how to hook them up. They are three pieces - at least that what it looks like. Two of the pieces are the same. Are there different kinds of sway bars or are they mostly the same.

This having no owner's manual is tough.

Jan

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #2

First hook your rv to your tow vehicle with just the ball and latch the hitch. Next take the two bars that are the same and turn them where the short end is facing up. Look under the hitch that is attached to your tow vehicle and you should have a hole on each side. Push a bar in each hole until they snap in place. Once they are snapped in place let your jack up and let it pick up your tow vehicle (not completely off the ground, just enough to see the suspension lift a couple inches). Once it is lifted a little remove the little keeper pin that is attached to the hook looking piece on the tounge of the trailer (you will have one of these on each side of the tounge). Hook the chain thats attached to the bars onto this little hook ( I attache mine to the third link from the end). Once attached flip the little hook over and put the pin back in (you may have to use a little bar to flip the hooks over). Now lower your jack all the way and your weight distribution is finished. You will then attach your sway control. It will attache to the two small little balls (one on the trailer and one on the truck hitch). Put the keepers back in to hold them on the ball (you will have to turn the handle to loosen the bar so it will slide and tighten it back once they are attched). That you be it. If you have any more questions just ask.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
Jan Goldfield

Thanks so much. That makes perfect sense. I went out in the Louisiana liquid sunshine and looked at the name of the sway bars. It's Eaz-lift. Here's a pic:
Amazon.com: Camco 48053 RV 1000 lb Eaz Lift Weight Distributing Hitch with Adjustable Ball Mount and Shank: Automotive

2009 Ford 150
Old 06-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #4

Just so you know, these are not sway bars, rather weight distribution bars, they are the same as I have on my trailer, they work very good for weight distributing, but if you need sway control, you need sway bars in addition to this
Old 06-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
Jan Goldfield

Oh goody, more stuff to buy.
Thanks much.
I really appreciate all the nifty things you guys are teaching me.

2009 Ford 150
Old 06-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
Jan Goldfield

I have been looking up sway bars. Do I need it (them)?
I have a 28' Grey Wolf BH and a FD 150 PU.
If I need them, I sure can't find any.

2009 Ford 150
Old 06-03-2010, 08:30 PM   #7

Yes, you'll need a sway control. I've posted videos below. These items may not be the same as yours, but it will give you an idea of how things work.

Click here and here .
Old 06-03-2010, 08:49 PM   #8
Jan Goldfield

Thanks. I watched them both. The link above is exactly what I have. So I have sway bars and a weight distribution in one?
Jan, learning just how much she doesn't know.

2009 Ford 150
Old 06-04-2010, 07:31 AM   #9

Well If you have everything in the video then yes you do have both but keep in mind that they are two different systems with two completely different functions and if you ever have to buy replacements they will be sold as two different units. Basically the long bars are your weight distribution. When they are tight they actually transfer weight from the rear axel to the front axel of your tow vehicle. That way your tow vehicle doesn't squat in the back and you have good steering. A travel trailer catches a lot of wind and it likes to sway back and forth across the road. This is what the sway bar is for. Its the shorter bar that slides in and out. Once you attach it and tighten it down it makes it harder for it to slide in and out so your trailer can't sway back and forth.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:15 AM   #10
Jan Goldfield

Thanks so much. Now I have to schlepp the truck to the dealer so they can swap out a damaged brake wire plug receiver.

2009 Ford 150