Old 02-18-2008, 11:18 PM   #1

Sweaty Bunkends

Hey!

I'm a new member here but not new to the Forest River products. Owned a pop-up before buying my Shamrock 19 HTT. Really like the quality of Forest Rivers.

I need a little help & thought I'd post here as it gets more folks viewing than the Expandables threads. Here's my dilemma:

As a So. California camper I don't really experience much cold weather. However, I do camp when the outside temp. gets into the low 40s. While I'm nice & toasty in the trailer, apparently there's a war waging between my mattresses and the bunk end in the form of condensation under the mattresses. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm using the electric warming feature or not -- they're still damp in the morning.

Is there an easy way to deal with this? I don't like to have to pull the mattresses off & store them inside the trailer (in the aisle) every time I close up the bunks. But I don't want to deal with possible mold issues either.

Thanks for your help!

Old 02-19-2008, 06:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by azusateach View Post
Hey!

I'm a new member here but not new to the Forest River products. Owned a pop-up before buying my Shamrock 19 HTT. Really like the quality of Forest Rivers.

I need a little help & thought I'd post here as it gets more folks viewing than the Expandables threads. Here's my dilemma:

As a So. California camper I don't really experience much cold weather. However, I do camp when the outside temp. gets into the low 40s. While I'm nice & toasty in the trailer, apparently there's a war waging between my mattresses and the bunk end in the form of condensation under the mattresses. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm using the electric warming feature or not -- they're still damp in the morning.

Is there an easy way to deal with this? I don't like to have to pull the mattresses off & store them inside the trailer (in the aisle) every time I close up the bunks. But I don't want to deal with possible mold issues either.

Thanks for your help!
i have had this problem also

someone told me to open some ventilation and it may help, but i havent had a chance to try it

the lack of insulation and direct exposure to the outside on my HTT seems to create condensation problems when at the temps described. i plan to try to open the bathroom vent and roof vent next time i camp, not sure yet if it will help.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:10 PM   #3

Thanks for the idea, but I've got tent ends. I do keep the "windows" open a bit & don't experience any condensation on the tents -- just under the mattresses.

Still hoping someone out there has a magic fix!
Old 02-19-2008, 11:20 PM   #4
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Not sure what the warming feature is...

I think the problem would be solved with some insulation under the mattress. I'd try using some Reflectix layers under it. It's like bubble wrap made of foil. I did this on my Keystone Outback (rear bed slide). It didn't have moisture under there...I did it to keep warmer. (and it worked)

I would think a single or double layer of that stuff would create an insulated zone...and stop the sweating. Worth a try if it works with your warming feature. Comes in rolls at your Home Center.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:19 PM   #5

That happened to us ALL the time on our 21ss shamrock.. our soultion fix was to get a plastic matress cover. once those were on everything stayed dry!

Joel