Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2016, 08:50 PM   #1

t v hook up in 2004 Chaparral coachman

We just purchased and the tv are not receiving any channels from the antenna but here Is the problem the one inn the living room picks up a couple of digital channels but when I try it in the bedrooms I get nothing the It's 3 coaxe cables coming in only one It's hooked to the boost which It's located separate from the tv hookup so just troubleshooting I unhooked the one cable from the booster and I still pick up 3 digital channels and nothing in the bed rooms can someone please help
ridinhighmemaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:45 PM   #2

Just to cover the basics, this is what I do at every campground. Either use my phone or IPad and go to the following site transition.fcc.gov this will tell you what digital over the air channels are available in the area. Then make sure the boost is turned on and your antenna is up. Make sure your tv is set to antenna and do a channel scan. This needs done for each tv. This procedure make the assumption that nothing is wrong with your cable connections and that your over the air booster is working properly.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:59 PM   #3

Never knew about FCC.gov to find the channels thanks Rich5117
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:52 AM   #4

I can get the channels inn living roon but not inn the bedrooms I gave a mess
Old 03-18-2016, 12:38 PM   #5

Booster Control

Hope your booster control looks like this one and the LED light is ON when using the roof antenna.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Booster Switch.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	102260  
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:40 PM   #6

This free website gives station information and an aiming map: AntennaPoint.com - Antenna Locator
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:25 PM   #7

Yes antenna booster light Is on but I don't even have to have a cable hooked to it and I still only get 3 channels And I have the app to locate channels downloaded I will take picture and post
Old 03-18-2016, 03:34 PM   #8

Are your TVs CRTs (cathod ray tubes) or flat panel? Are you sure the 3 channels you are getting are digital? If these are the original TVs in your 2004 TT, the TVs may be analog. There was a switch to digital channels in 2009. If this is so, you will need a converter box. One TV may have the converter, the other may not. If your TVs are 2009 or newer, they should be digital. Just covering all the bases
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:59 PM   #9

Penjoe X2 on tv's and digital converters. Even some early flat panels still need the converters.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:01 PM   #10

This Is a flat screen and It's the same tv just moving it from room to room
Old 03-18-2016, 09:25 PM   #11

Know this is frustrating, I went back and read your original post. You commented that there are 3 cables but only one is hooked to the booster. Are you referring to the back connections of the booster itself which can be accessed after the booster is removed from the wall? A picture in this case would be great.

You also mentioned the tv hookup is separate from the booster. Please explain, the tv gets hooked to the cable connection located on the booster face plate to receive signal from the antenna, I uploaded a schematic that is from a wildcat but is basically the same as your unit. , Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1458354212.305878.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	102305
Old 03-19-2016, 02:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinhighmemaw View Post
This Is a flat screen and It's the same tv just moving it from room to room
As you are using the same TV front and rear, the problem is in the booster, the coax cable, the connections or analog antenna. The antenna would be the least concern because I am able to get digital TV stations 40 miles distant with the old rabbit ears. How far are the three station you can get?

There are significant differences between analog and digital reception. With poor analog reception, there was snow. With poor digital reception, you get nothing or pixelation (picture breaking up into little squares) on a fringe signal.

When your TT was built in 2004, digital was not yet in use and RG-59 coax cable was the standard. Since 2009, RG-6 coax became the standard. Both use the same screw-on connectors which is the weak link, especially if someone did their own connections. The most common problem is not having a good ground from the foil or braided ground wrap on the coax to the connector.

There is a possibility that having the TV at the front near the antenna, RG-59 might get you very strong close proximity digital TV signals, but not more distant channels. The farther the run with RG-59 to the rear of the TT, the less chance you have of getting the same signals because it is not capable of the band width. It is also possible that the front was rewired with RG-6.

Just brainstorming some of the of the possibilities.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote