Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2008, 04:08 AM   #1

Tail Light Sockets

Check your tail light sockets. I am preparing for a long trip and I am checking my camper out from top to bottom to make sure all is ok. As I was checking the clarence and tail lights, I noticed that I had a right brake light that was out, I removed the lens to replace the bulb and found that the socket had corrosion on it. It looked like water had leaked into the lens, I pulled the left lens off and found the something, but the bulb was still working. I don't see any gaskets or rubber seals on the lens covers or the base of the light fixture. Are these light fixtures supposed to some kind of seals on them?
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
In my experience the interface between the lens and white plastic housing does not come with a gasket. You might try making a gasket using plumber's putty or a strand of rope putty. Should work and any excess that squeezes out should be easy to clean up.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #3

I had to replace the brake light on my old Wildcat and the lens cover had a bead of chaulking around it on the outside. I played hell getting the lens cover to come loose, I thought for sure I was going to break it. My new Wildcat doesn't have this chaulking.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote