Old 12-06-2014, 10:11 AM   #1

Tank heaters

Hi need some advice new camper I turn on heaters switch lights up but no amp draw on system no blown fuse on panel is there a inline fuse ?

Old 12-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
Site Team

Mine only kick on when outside temps get close to freezing. @ 40 I think. How cold is it where you are?

Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #3

No fuse that I know of but DCHEATWOOD is correct they come on at 40 degrees and shut off at 60 degrees. They are on a temp sensor. I would think that it's to warm in the basement for it to come on. I THINK they draw like 14 to 16 amps when on. Hope that helps a little. Camaradeie, just showed me an amp pro that reads the DC current. Got it on Amazon. Clamp that baby around the DC hot leg and it will show you how many amps that circuit is pulling in DC. I have to thank him and also recommend it to everyone for use as a multi meter. You will beable to see how many amps anything is pulling, plus what amount of amps your charger is putting out.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #4

Checked at 32 and going by the reading on the emshw30 and touch
Old 12-06-2014, 12:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisin2251le View Post
Checked at 32 and going by the reading on the emshw30 and touch
How cold is it where you are at 32 like you said? Are you running your Furnace with a duct in the basement? That would stop them from coming on if I understand you correctly. If your basement is above 40 degrees they will not come on. Some member also had a problem and he found that they cut a wire during installation.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 12-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #6

Working on it now power in power out of switch working my way back now question how far back can I go before I hit the thermostat its 46 now so I know the heater will not come on
Old 12-06-2014, 02:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisin2251le View Post
Working on it now power in power out of switch working my way back now question how far back can I go before I hit the thermostat its 46 now so I know the heater will not come on
That I can not answer sorry but just leave your switch on. When the basement drops you should see your amps pick up. I think the whole system is wired in series so trace back to the end of the wire from the switch. If I understand your question.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 12-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #8

OK I have power to the heaters we will see if they come on when the temps drop thanks for all the emails
Old 12-22-2014, 10:34 PM   #9

Just a little insight if you still havent figured out your tank heaters yet.

Each tank (that is equipped) has a "pad" which is 12v (wattage is dependent on tank size) and they all have built in thermostats. They would be wired parallel, so each pad/tank can operate independently (as well, being 12v pads, wiring them in series would require a 24/36/48v/ect feed and they would only function once all tanks were below the thermostat threshold). The thermostat turns on at 44*f and off at 64*f.

This being said, the tank (and its contents) need to drop to 44*f before the unit turns on, if you have any great volume of fluid in the tank, and temperatures are mild(near, or not far below freezing), it may take a long time between cycles of the heater (and like mentioned, if their is heat in the basement it can 'falsify' the thermostat readings and keep the heater from cycling)

IF your unit has 120v heat pads (i dont believe these are standard on any model, but are available from the manufacturer), they are 'live' as soon as they are plugged in, they do not have a thermostat
Old 12-23-2014, 09:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykdave View Post
Just a little insight if you still havent figured out your tank heaters yet.

Each tank (that is equipped) has a "pad" which is 12v (wattage is dependent on tank size) and they all have built in thermostats. They would be wired parallel, so each pad/tank can operate independently (as well, being 12v pads, wiring them in series would require a 24/36/48v/ect feed and they would only function once all tanks were below the thermostat threshold). The thermostat turns on at 44*f and off at 64*f.

This being said, the tank (and its contents) need to drop to 44*f before the unit turns on, if you have any great volume of fluid in the tank, and temperatures are mild(near, or not far below freezing), it may take a long time between cycles of the heater (and like mentioned, if their is heat in the basement it can 'falsify' the thermostat readings and keep the heater from cycling)

IF your unit has 120v heat pads (i dont believe these are standard on any model, but are available from the manufacturer), they are 'live' as soon as they are plugged in, they do not have a thermostat
You are correct the series I was talking about to the OP is that if you have 3 heaters like mine to follow the hot from the switch to the first pad and follow it to the second and so on in series from first to the 3rd. I meant one circuit that each was not wired independently.....

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k

Tags
heater, tank