Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2014, 10:22 AM   #1

temps getting ready to freeze, but going camping this weekend. winterize?

So with deer season being this weekend were taking the camper out on sat for a few days. But starting tonight the lows are going to be in the 20s. I guess i need to winterize it today(tues) and then unwinterize on sat. Then rewinterize it next week before i put it away for good. Also with the low temps being in the 20s for most of my trip, will i be ok? just keep the heater running the whole time? I wish this freeze would have waited another week! This is my first year with a camper and dont want to screw anything up. Thanks
rynb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
WFD

Make sure your propane tanks are full, if you run your furnace it will burn up a lot of propane. Chances are a portable electric heater won't be enough in those temps so you will be running the furnace too...a few weekends back we had temps in the hi 20's to low 30's and used up a 30lb propane tank in 2 1/2 days.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:02 PM   #3

i actually have 3 propane tanks. and i think there is a place to refill where i will be going. So i should have that covered. Anyways i went and winterized all the water lines. Not worth the risk of something breaking over $10 of antifreeze.
rynb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #4

My unit is winterized. I will be pulling it out of N GA mountains and heading just 3 hours south for pre Thanksgiving with grandkids. Will do as in past.
. Head 65 miles N alone and stay Friday night. No de winterization.
. Pick up family and de winterize at weekend destination.
. Prior to return, drain lines, blow out lines and add anti freeze.
. Return and store unit.
On my old unit a few years ago, used only blow out method and wound up with cracked toilet fitting. Bam! Water leak!
For $12 in anti freeze, it's not worth the risk to me. We will be going to Florida for February and same procedure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, winter, winterize