Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 07:36 PM   #1

The "Anti-Lemon?" - Thoughts on quality

After some serious "knocking on wood" I wanted to share one man's perspective on the quality concerns that consistently pervade not just Forest River, but pretty much all the RV forums. We're two years in with our Flagstaff. I replaced the Castle Rocks with Goodyear Endurance tires shortly after purchase. I check air pressure before every trip. I've weighed the truck and trailer at the CAT scales and dialed in the WDH. I wash the roof a couple times each year and lube the slides periodically. I check the torque on all the bolts every couple of trips. Wheel bearings are re-packed annually.

I've never had a leak, a power outage, a slide malfunction, an electronic failure, a water heater kerfuffle, a tire blowout, a rodent infestation or a black tank mishap. I can't comment on my dealer because I haven't had to take the trailer in. Am I just lucky? I don't think any of the routine maintenance I perform is extraordinary. This forum provides a great resource AFTER problems occur. It seems that a little more attention to the little things BEFORE something goes wrong might increase the approval ratings on RV quality in general. Besides forums like this one, You Tube should be everyone's friend. There is a ton of information out there accessible with little effort.

This is not a criticism of others. We are relatively new to RVing ourselves. Just wanted to throw a positive spin out there for consumption. We love our trailer and the whole RVing experience. Hope everyone has a great summer!
6.0 Gasser 4:10

Old 06-26-2019, 07:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiletwice View Post
After some serious "knocking on wood" I wanted to share one man's perspective on the quality concerns that consistently pervade not just Forest River, but pretty much all the RV forums. We're two years in with our Flagstaff. I replaced the Castle Rocks with Goodyear Endurance tires shortly after purchase. I check air pressure before every trip. I've weighed the truck and trailer at the CAT scales and dialed in the WDH. I wash the roof a couple times each year and lube the slides periodically. I check the torque on all the bolts every couple of trips. Wheel bearings are re-packed annually.

I've never had a leak, a power outage, a slide malfunction, an electronic failure, a water heater kerfuffle, a tire blowout, a rodent infestation or a black tank mishap. I can't comment on my dealer because I haven't had to take the trailer in. Am I just lucky? I don't think any of the routine maintenance I perform is extraordinary. This forum provides a great resource AFTER problems occur. It seems that a little more attention to the little things BEFORE something goes wrong might increase the approval ratings on RV quality in general. Besides forums like this one, You Tube should be everyone's friend. There is a ton of information out there accessible with little effort.

This is not a criticism of others. We are relatively new to RVing ourselves. Just wanted to throw a positive spin out there for consumption. We love our trailer and the whole RVing experience. Hope everyone has a great summer!
No, your experience is more the norm than the exception. Forums tend to hear mostly from those that have had issues than not. My family sells between 100 and 200 RVs each month and has for over 50 years and a very small percentage of those come back with serious issues. Don't misunderstand, there are some real doosies that make it out of the factory and self-destruct within the first 6 months. I've seen garbage built by all the big guys, some more than others. The key is catching the defects before you sign and getting them corrected or walk away. For those that show up later many are third party issues, meaning the parts that FR or others purchase and put into the RV. But stuff does happen, get it fixed and stay on top of the maintenance all the time. I'm on my 11th and final RV, I've only had one that really gave me grief and it was a MH, not the builders fault, it was the chassis builder that provided all the entertainment, that was my 2nd and last MH. Do your maintenance and enjoy your RV for years to come.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:03 PM   #3
Now a "Top Member"

My only big thing was the tires. I still had the original tires (only 4 years old, and less than 3K miles). I had a triple blowout on a trip home one time. A 5 1/2 hour drive turned into a 14 1/2 hour nightmare. The trailer got 4 new Maxxis tires after that. Otherwise, a loose light cover here, a piece of trim popped up there, and other very minor items. No major complaints other than the tires.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
Old 06-27-2019, 06:10 PM   #4

My Flagstaff has been a great trailer as well!
Old 06-28-2019, 01:38 PM   #5

2010 wildcat

Never had any problems with the exception of which I caused. I replaced my original tires just before a 5500 mile trip and did not make long trips, usually 70 miles. But never had any problems. 5ver was total in 2018.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:11 PM   #6
Site Team

We owned a Rockwood HTT and now a PT TracerAir TT. Both were a great product, for the price point. Both had some issues but were fixed under warranty. Our TracerAir has great features that aren't found on most TTs, for $18k.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
Old 06-28-2019, 02:16 PM   #7
Just as confused as you

I have not had problems that needed dealer repair. Dealer's delivery guys set it up on a seasonal site in August 2013. They did a second PDI looking for any problems (found none), showed us where everything was and how it worked and answered any questions we had.
That being said, if I were to pull it around the country it may be another story.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Old 06-28-2019, 02:26 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Our experience with our 2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS is very much like yours with the exception of the rodent problem and that surely isn't the trailer's fault.

We have been VERY pleased to say the least.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
Old 06-28-2019, 03:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
My only big thing was the tires. I still had the original tires (only 4 years old, and less than 3K miles). I had a triple blowout on a trip home one time. A 5 1/2 hour drive turned into a 14 1/2 hour nightmare. The trailer got 4 new Maxxis tires after that. Otherwise, a loose light cover here, a piece of trim popped up there, and other very minor items. No major complaints other than the tires.
This has more the sound of a road hazard than defective tires, though poor tires may have contributed to the problem.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:03 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Gordon View Post
This has more the sound of a road hazard than defective tires, though poor tires may have contributed to the problem.
Three of mine separated at the same time sitting in my driveway.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:43 PM   #11

I just wish that builders would offer a "Premium" line (example Acura vs. Honda or Lexus vs. Toyota) with upgraded materials, design, appliances, and true quality control at a moderate cost increase. I think they are missing the boat on this extra profit stream.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:01 PM   #12

We too are happy campers with our older Lexington. Bought 4 years ago slightly used and never returned to any dealer. DH is a skilled tradesmen who does his own maintenance mods and repairs. The biggest issue was a tire recall that saw all of our tires replaced totally free of charge by Michelin.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
Old 06-28-2019, 05:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
I just wish that builders would offer a "Premium" line (example Acura vs. Honda or Lexus vs. Toyota) with upgraded materials, design, appliances, and true quality control at a moderate cost increase. I think they are missing the boat on this extra profit stream.

umm....They do, example; Cedar Creek vs. Riverstone. Riverstone is bigger, heavier, fancier, upgraded materials.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:18 PM   #14

Anti-Lemon

Breath of fresh air from this member that recognizes that it not always the manufacture that is too blame. Maintenance to any machine is imperative to keeping it around. I come from one of the most maintenance intensive activities in the world of machines, aircraft. It is because of the maintenance that is done that these machines fly for years with minimum issues.
I have pulled my Cardinal over 20,000 miles over the last two years. Some of the worst roads that one could drive on. It only makes sense that things will break, but good maintenance will keep it going for years to come. And yes, fix correctly what is broken to minimize any collateral damage.
Too many years of worry free travel.
Titan 50 gal fuel tank
Air Lift 7500 lb bags
Old 06-28-2019, 07:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Three of mine separated at the same time sitting in my driveway.
What exactly does "at the same time" mean? All simultaneously? Within an hour of each other? A week? How old were they and how much mileage? What were the other circumstances?
Old 06-28-2019, 09:08 PM   #16
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
No, not a road hazard. One trip home, but at different times. The first tire went about an hour out of San Antonio, heading home to Houston area. The second went about 25 miles later. The last one waited until I was almost home, about 40miles out. It was a rough day.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
Old 06-29-2019, 08:09 AM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
What exactly does "at the same time" mean? All simultaneously? Within an hour of each other? A week? How old were they and how much mileage? What were the other circumstances?
I'm not taking the bait.

My experiences with Castle Rock tires are well documented on this forum. (and others)

I started the original Castle Rock thread several years ago.

If you don't want to believe these tires have issues that is entirely your right but those of us with empirical evidence know differently.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:27 AM   #18

Originally Posted by Adrian Gordon

Quote:
I'm not taking the bait.

My experiences with Castle Rock tires are well documented on this forum. (and others)

If you don't want to believe these tires have issues that is entirely your right but those of us with empirical evidence know differently.
What do you mean you're not taking the bait? What bait?

What you described (3 tires separating in your driveway at the same time) is unusual. Adrian posted reasonable questions. I'd like to know the answers too.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:34 AM   #19

Quote:
I'm not taking the bait.

That pretty much tells me as much as I needed to know.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:33 AM   #20
Lca
Red River Camper

Routine maintenance

I am a DIY guy and I do read the manuals along with this forum-which has been very helpful....I can find maintenance suggestions scattered in 30 different places, but is there a list of maintenance items with time intervals in one place? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

We've had 2018 Georgetown 31L5 for six months and have thoroughly enjoyed two short trips. Have boondocked both times. We bought it used with 7,000 miles on it. Still learning but want to be thoroughly prepared for a three week trip in September.
Closed Thread

Tags
quality