Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #1

The one thing you don't want to learn...the hard way

At the beginning...when placing our CC, I used a tri-levelor to get the level from side to side (or for those with military history...Port to Starboard. When picking up camp on Sunday, my little boy wanted to help, as he always does. He pulled the chicks from behind the tires. Not realizing this was happening, I reinstalled the key to the trailer emergency brake, which we all know released the brakes. As I was getting in the truck, I had the opportunity to watch as my trailer walked backwards off the levelor and planted the power jack 18" into the dirt below it. Needless to say, I was quickly able to recover from this mishap, although my pride was somewhat beat to death, and we bent the section of the pole that raises and lowers in the jack. Today I called the jack manufacturer and asked the price of the pole. $374.00. New jack complete for my trailer is $460.00. The lady then proceeded to tell me to search the web for trailer places that might have good deals on jacks. Alright, now that I have provided the joke of the day, does anyone have any thoughts on who might have some good deals on heavy duruty jacks?

Thanks
crushor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushor View Post
At the beginning...when placing our CC, I used a tri-levelor to get the level from side to side (or for those with military history...Port to Starboard. When picking up camp on Sunday, my little boy wanted to help, as he always does. He pulled the chicks from behind the tires. Not realizing this was happening, I reinstalled the key to the trailer emergency brake, which we all know released the brakes. As I was getting in the truck, I had the opportunity to watch as my trailer walked backwards off the levelor and planted the power jack 18" into the dirt below it. Needless to say, I was quickly able to recover from this mishap, although my pride was somewhat beat to death, and we bent the section of the pole that raises and lowers in the jack. Today I called the jack manufacturer and asked the price of the pole. $374.00. New jack complete for my trailer is $460.00. The lady then proceeded to tell me to search the web for trailer places that might have good deals on jacks. Alright, now that I have provided the joke of the day, does anyone have any thoughts on who might have some good deals on heavy duruty jacks?

Thanks
No. 1, Why would you remove the emergency brake pin in the first place? It puts power to the magnets and will prematurely burn the magnets rendering your trailer brakes useless while towing. As a rule of thumb, NEVER remove the emergency brake pin. It is NOT a parking brake!

As for the jack, I would look around for a pc of pipe the same size and remove the bent pipe and remove the threaded slug in the end and use the pipe. You will have to figure out how to keep it from turning when using the jack. Grinding a flat down the length of the pipe might be a solution to the turning. You might even be able to cut the bent section out and splice in a new section.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I wouldn't advise a "piece of pipe" fix. I would advise you to visit adventurerv.net and check out their selection. They also have factory refurbished units. I order from them quite frequently and they usually have the best price around.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #4

[QUOTE=dunnnc;259747]No. 1, Why would you remove the emergency brake pin in the first place? It puts power to the magnets and will prematurely burn the magnets rendering your trailer brakes useless while towing. As a rule of thumb, NEVER remove the emergency brake pin. It is NOT a parking brake!

QUOTE]

x2!.....sure it may hold your trailer, but when you need to stop going down a hill.....could be ugly!...even if they dont fail outright, it will prematurely wear down the brake mags.....

as for the "workaround" fix, listen im as cheap as the next guy if not moreso, but you dont want that hassle...the tongue jack is way too important of a piece of equip....just bite the bullet, find a good deal on a new/refurb one and call it "lesson learned"....
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
I wouldn't advise a "piece of pipe" fix. I would advise you to visit adventurerv.net and check out their selection. They also have factory refurbished units. I order from them quite frequently and they usually have the best price around.
The pipe would be stronger than the thin tubing used in jacks. The tubing is around 0.06" to 0.075 like fence posts and pipe is 0.125 to 0.188", much stronger.
A reputable welding shop would be a lot cheaper and better than the original.

If it is a power jack, you can also go to Northern and get a hvy duty manual jack and switch the tubes as a power jack is just a manual jack with a motor/gearbox on it.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #6

Well, thanks guys I appreciate the info. Dunnnc, wow, sounds like you need another cup of coffee. First off I'm still learning the ropes, and as I don't normally pull the e brake pin, this was a situation where I decided that safety was at the forefront, as I dropped the trailer at the site, got the side level complete and then needed to take my son back into town to catch his school bus. So the e brake was the lesser of the immediate evils. I do thank you for the idea of replacing the pipe, however without knowing the strengths of pipe, I would be leery of going this route. After all, kissing the ground once is already one too many times. Ttrost65, thanks for the web site, I will check that out. Again, thanks to both of you I do appreciate the input.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #7

Oh it is a lesson well learned. My son now understands that when its time to break camp, he can sit at the picnic table and play with his toys. Lol. Yes, it was an Atwood have duty power jack, 3,500lbs. Gratefully, due to the strength of the jack and the leveling blocks that I had, I had her up on the truck in under 15 minutes.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #8

I know this hasn't been said yet and I applaud your son for wanting to help.

Let the chocks be the first item placed before unhooking the truck and the last to be picked up after you hook the truck up upon leaving.
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #9

Thank Timex. No doubt, about the chocks. I have a tri-levelor, 2 chocks, a multitude of leveling blocks, which are 2x10" 's cut down, a cone for the tongue jack. Ironically, I was looking at getting a pair of x chocks over last weekend. I can sure tell you that is the first thing on my Christmas wish list. My boy won't be able to get those out. I think I'll get the ones that can lock. Just for my own piece of mind. Lol. When I checked the air pressure in the spare before leaving my house, my son was right there with me, under the trailer asking about 300 questions. You just have to love kids.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushor
Thank Timex. No doubt, about the chocks. I have a tri-levelor, 2 chocks, a multitude of leveling blocks, which are 2x10" 's cut down, a cone for the tongue jack. Ironically, I was looking at getting a pair of x chocks over last weekend. I can sure tell you that is the first thing on my Christmas wish list. My boy won't be able to get those out. I think I'll get the ones that can lock. Just for my own piece of mind. Lol. When I checked the air pressure in the spare before leaving my house, my son was right there with me, under the trailer asking about 300 questions. You just have to love kids.
Having seen a mooring line snap on a 9,600 ton destroyer, chocks and then some are our friends.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #11
TeresaInCAL

If you can wait on shipping, you might check Amazon.com for a new jack.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex
Let the chocks be the first item placed before unhooking the truck and the last to be picked up after you hook the truck up upon leaving.
X2

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #13

There are an assortment of tongue jacks on eBay starting under $100.
Buzzard616 is offline   Reply With Quote