Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
crushor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 229
The one thing you don't want to learn...the hard way

At the beginning...when placing our CC, I used a tri-levelor to get the level from side to side (or for those with military history...Port to Starboard. When picking up camp on Sunday, my little boy wanted to help, as he always does. He pulled the chicks from behind the tires. Not realizing this was happening, I reinstalled the key to the trailer emergency brake, which we all know released the brakes. As I was getting in the truck, I had the opportunity to watch as my trailer walked backwards off the levelor and planted the power jack 18" into the dirt below it. Needless to say, I was quickly able to recover from this mishap, although my pride was somewhat beat to death, and we bent the section of the pole that raises and lowers in the jack. Today I called the jack manufacturer and asked the price of the pole. $374.00. New jack complete for my trailer is $460.00. The lady then proceeded to tell me to search the web for trailer places that might have good deals on jacks. Alright, now that I have provided the joke of the day, does anyone have any thoughts on who might have some good deals on heavy duruty jacks?

Thanks
__________________

__________________
2007 Ford F250 4x4 Harley-Davidson Powerstroke
2006 Cedar Creek Silverback - 35 LRLBS
(2012 -11) (2013 - 10 so far)
crushor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by crushor View Post
At the beginning...when placing our CC, I used a tri-levelor to get the level from side to side (or for those with military history...Port to Starboard. When picking up camp on Sunday, my little boy wanted to help, as he always does. He pulled the chicks from behind the tires. Not realizing this was happening, I reinstalled the key to the trailer emergency brake, which we all know released the brakes. As I was getting in the truck, I had the opportunity to watch as my trailer walked backwards off the levelor and planted the power jack 18" into the dirt below it. Needless to say, I was quickly able to recover from this mishap, although my pride was somewhat beat to death, and we bent the section of the pole that raises and lowers in the jack. Today I called the jack manufacturer and asked the price of the pole. $374.00. New jack complete for my trailer is $460.00. The lady then proceeded to tell me to search the web for trailer places that might have good deals on jacks. Alright, now that I have provided the joke of the day, does anyone have any thoughts on who might have some good deals on heavy duruty jacks?

Thanks
No. 1, Why would you remove the emergency brake pin in the first place? It puts power to the magnets and will prematurely burn the magnets rendering your trailer brakes useless while towing. As a rule of thumb, NEVER remove the emergency brake pin. It is NOT a parking brake!

As for the jack, I would look around for a pc of pipe the same size and remove the bent pipe and remove the threaded slug in the end and use the pipe. You will have to figure out how to keep it from turning when using the jack. Grinding a flat down the length of the pipe might be a solution to the turning. You might even be able to cut the bent section out and splice in a new section.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
AquaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tipp City, OH
Posts: 6,477
I wouldn't advise a "piece of pipe" fix. I would advise you to visit adventurerv.net and check out their selection. They also have factory refurbished units. I order from them quite frequently and they usually have the best price around.
__________________
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped 2017 - 49
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
ironj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,368
[QUOTE=dunnnc;259747]No. 1, Why would you remove the emergency brake pin in the first place? It puts power to the magnets and will prematurely burn the magnets rendering your trailer brakes useless while towing. As a rule of thumb, NEVER remove the emergency brake pin. It is NOT a parking brake!

QUOTE]

x2!.....sure it may hold your trailer, but when you need to stop going down a hill.....could be ugly!...even if they dont fail outright, it will prematurely wear down the brake mags.....

as for the "workaround" fix, listen im as cheap as the next guy if not moreso, but you dont want that hassle...the tongue jack is way too important of a piece of equip....just bite the bullet, find a good deal on a new/refurb one and call it "lesson learned"....
__________________
2015 F350 Platinum Fx4 6.7 Diesel Dually. B&W turnover, B&W Companion, air bags and wireless controller.
2015 Heartland Road Warrior 420 Rt
2012 f250 Fx4 6.7 Diesel crew cab tinted n tuned
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
I wouldn't advise a "piece of pipe" fix. I would advise you to visit adventurerv.net and check out their selection. They also have factory refurbished units. I order from them quite frequently and they usually have the best price around.
The pipe would be stronger than the thin tubing used in jacks. The tubing is around 0.06" to 0.075 like fence posts and pipe is 0.125 to 0.188", much stronger.
A reputable welding shop would be a lot cheaper and better than the original.

If it is a power jack, you can also go to Northern and get a hvy duty manual jack and switch the tubes as a power jack is just a manual jack with a motor/gearbox on it.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
crushor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 229
Well, thanks guys I appreciate the info. Dunnnc, wow, sounds like you need another cup of coffee. First off I'm still learning the ropes, and as I don't normally pull the e brake pin, this was a situation where I decided that safety was at the forefront, as I dropped the trailer at the site, got the side level complete and then needed to take my son back into town to catch his school bus. So the e brake was the lesser of the immediate evils. I do thank you for the idea of replacing the pipe, however without knowing the strengths of pipe, I would be leery of going this route. After all, kissing the ground once is already one too many times. Ttrost65, thanks for the web site, I will check that out. Again, thanks to both of you I do appreciate the input.
__________________
2007 Ford F250 4x4 Harley-Davidson Powerstroke
2006 Cedar Creek Silverback - 35 LRLBS
(2012 -11) (2013 - 10 so far)
crushor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
crushor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 229
Oh it is a lesson well learned. My son now understands that when its time to break camp, he can sit at the picnic table and play with his toys. Lol. Yes, it was an Atwood have duty power jack, 3,500lbs. Gratefully, due to the strength of the jack and the leveling blocks that I had, I had her up on the truck in under 15 minutes.
__________________
2007 Ford F250 4x4 Harley-Davidson Powerstroke
2006 Cedar Creek Silverback - 35 LRLBS
(2012 -11) (2013 - 10 so far)
crushor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Timex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 1,658
I know this hasn't been said yet and I applaud your son for wanting to help.

Let the chocks be the first item placed before unhooking the truck and the last to be picked up after you hook the truck up upon leaving.
__________________
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
crushor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 229
Thank Timex. No doubt, about the chocks. I have a tri-levelor, 2 chocks, a multitude of leveling blocks, which are 2x10" 's cut down, a cone for the tongue jack. Ironically, I was looking at getting a pair of x chocks over last weekend. I can sure tell you that is the first thing on my Christmas wish list. My boy won't be able to get those out. I think I'll get the ones that can lock. Just for my own piece of mind. Lol. When I checked the air pressure in the spare before leaving my house, my son was right there with me, under the trailer asking about 300 questions. You just have to love kids.
__________________
2007 Ford F250 4x4 Harley-Davidson Powerstroke
2006 Cedar Creek Silverback - 35 LRLBS
(2012 -11) (2013 - 10 so far)
crushor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
crushor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by crushor
Thank Timex. No doubt, about the chocks. I have a tri-levelor, 2 chocks, a multitude of leveling blocks, which are 2x10" 's cut down, a cone for the tongue jack. Ironically, I was looking at getting a pair of x chocks over last weekend. I can sure tell you that is the first thing on my Christmas wish list. My boy won't be able to get those out. I think I'll get the ones that can lock. Just for my own piece of mind. Lol. When I checked the air pressure in the spare before leaving my house, my son was right there with me, under the trailer asking about 300 questions. You just have to love kids.
Having seen a mooring line snap on a 9,600 ton destroyer, chocks and then some are our friends.
__________________

__________________
2007 Ford F250 4x4 Harley-Davidson Powerstroke
2006 Cedar Creek Silverback - 35 LRLBS
(2012 -11) (2013 - 10 so far)
crushor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 AM.