Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2010, 08:26 PM   #1

Things Happen..................

Last week I had to take my camper to the dealers to fine out why the bolts keep shearing on the slide out, and by the way It is still there. After taking the camper to the dealers on the way home the "check Engine Light" came on in the truck, now It is a 2008 with 11,000 miles on It. I toke the truck into the Chevy dealers yesterday for them to work on it today. I received a call to day at 10:30 this morning from the Chevy dealer saying that they found the problem.....with the "check Engine Light" on one would think that there may be something wrong with a sensor in the exhaust, and the truck is still under warrenty...No, it would not be that easy.. The problem came from my back-up camera, the connection to the battery came loose causing the computer in the truck to go crazy, the computer in the truck had 14 error codes, this indicated that there was a lack of communication between 14 modules out of the 27 that are in the truck, all do to a loose connection, I had no Idea, and it was not covered under warrenty, but I did get a free oil change and tires rotated for $93.00 bucks worth for 1 hours of labor to tighten up two nuts. Truck is back home now, but the camper is not......
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #2

They always tell me bad things come in threes, so watch out. You have one left.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:04 PM   #3

Dang, you had me going there for a minute. Glad it really was nothing more serious than a loose connection. With today's vehicles I shudder when things are going quite right because all I see is dollar signs and a thinner wallet in my future.

Hope they get the problems with the RV worked out.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:41 PM   #4

It's amazing that with the gazillion different processes going on at one time just to get a vehicle to go down the road that they even run at all.

What happened to the engine that would run mounted on an engine stand connected to a battery?
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:09 PM   #5

i am still confused how its not a warranty item.
but is good its fixed and ready to go rving
i had a bad ground on my 02 f350 and it drove them nuts for a week,
me to it would shut off just any old time. we are talking stone cold dead, kaputt, no burps no wiggles , just flat DEAD

what do you think is causing the slide bolts shearing off?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
I think because it was the connection of the backup camera which caused the issue with something not being tightened down enough from the original post. Therefore it was a customer caused issue.

The manufacturer is under burden to prove that an aftermarket item caused the issue to deny the claim, in this case I think they can. Now if you take your vehicle in because lets say the power window isn't working and they claim you installed a different rear bumper and won't honor the warranty then they have no proof that installing a bumper would effect the window and therefore they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrotor View Post
It's amazing that with the gazillion different processes going on at one time just to get a vehicle to go down the road that they even run at all.

What happened to the engine that would run mounted on an engine stand connected to a battery?

Think that disappeared about the same time as nickel candy. Oh man I remember both of those- I must be gettin old!
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
but is good its fixed and ready to go rving
i had a bad ground on my 02 f350 and it drove them nuts for a week,
me to it would shut off just any old time. we are talking stone cold dead, kaputt, no burps no wiggles , just flat DEAD

what do you think is causing the slide bolts shearing off?
powerboatr, the reason it was not covered under warranty is because the connection were made with after market nuts and washers, I double nutted the post with a lock washer on the fuse block terminal and they know it, GM does not use lock washers.
The computer in the truck has an internal clock, this problem started two weeks ago but there were no indication that there was any thing wrong there 4 error codes that came up that were back dated with in those two weeks, the last 10 came up 3 days ago and according to the shop they were major ones. After correcting the loose connection the computer was reset and all of the wiring was traced out by the Mechanic to make sure that was it and so far all seems to be ok.
As far as the problem with the sheared bolts on the camper, I still don't know and waiting to hear. The RV shop told me that they were not loaded down with work and that they would be able to check it out in a day or two and that was last Thursday......My panties are bunching up, because they have not looked at it as they said they would and time is getting closer we are suppost to take the camper up this Saturday and get it set up, it's starting to get to me......
Old 03-24-2010, 04:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehall View Post
They always tell me bad things come in threes, so watch out. You have one left.
I have heard that as well, I just hope I see it comming.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Dang, you had me going there for a minute. Glad it really was nothing more serious than a loose connection. With today's vehicles I shudder when things are going quite right because all I see is dollar signs and a thinner wallet in my future.

Hope they get the problems with the RV worked out.
The shop was telling that the $93.00 charge is cheap compared to the $1,600 module replacement which verywell could have happen and to think that there is 27 of them in the truck. Soon I won't have a wallet, no need If I don't have anything to put in It.
As far as th RV, I am going to make a phone call today to see what is taking so long.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:41 AM   #11

Quote:

I know what you mean, I miss my first car with a 283 engine with a two speed power glide transmission, 1964 Chevy Impala.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMike View Post
Think that disappeared about the same time as nickel candy. Oh man I remember both of those- I must be getting old!

I hate to say this, but I remember two for a nickel... If think you are getting old, then I must ancient.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:27 AM   #13
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
I hate to say this, but I remember two for a nickel... If think you are getting old, then I must ancient.
I remember penny candy. I guess that puts me right there with dirt!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:19 AM   #14

I remember nickle cokes in the small glass bottles. First car 1951 chevy, cost $125. Gas 17 cents a galleon.

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:08 AM   #15

Sorry to hear that they soaked you for $93. But the good news is that included an oil change and tire rotation. It would have been a lot more painful if these were not included.
Also it's a good thing you had them check the problem out before it became a more serious issue.
Good luck with the trailer.

I also remember my '69 Impala with the 283 and 3 speed manual tranny with overdrive. Real nice ride back then!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
I remember penny candy. I guess that puts me right there with dirt!
Believe it or not, there is a penny candy store within walking distance from my parents house where I grew up. My mom and dad take the grandkids there all the time. Still in business, and from what I remember, the entire wall behind the counter is all just a penny. You give the kids a quarter and it takes 'em forever to pick out 25 pieces of candy, but its good fun as it reminds me when I was there age.

'07 Rockwood 8281SS 5th Wheel
'07 Silverado 2500HD LMM Duramax Diesel / Allison 1000 CC 2LT S/B
Reese 15K 5th Wheel Hitch w/ Kwik-Slide
E.S.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:26 AM   #17

Up Date

Well the camper is in the shop, they said that the slide out works fine but the motor has a clicking sound, the shop has called the manufacture to see what the sound is all about.....I don't know what this means, but I am expecting a solid answer to day.....this is great, i still what to know why the bolt sheared twice.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
Well the camper is in the shop, they said that the slide out works fine but the motor has a clicking sound, the shop has called the manufacture to see what the sound is all about.....I don't know what this means, but I am expecting a solid answer to day.....this is great, i still what to know why the bolt sheared twice.
I have no idea what is causing the bolt to shear but I hope whatever the problem is, gets fixed. It's time to get that camper out to the campground. Sounds like your about in the same boat I'm in, notice the problem when it's about time to head to the campgrounds.

Hopefully they get it fixed soon and you'll have a little peace of mind, as far as your slideout goes, the rest of the summer.

Good Luck.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:32 AM   #19
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.S.P. View Post
Believe it or not, there is a penny candy store within walking distance from my parents house where I grew up. My mom and dad take the grandkids there all the time. Still in business, and from what I remember, the entire wall behind the counter is all just a penny. You give the kids a quarter and it takes 'em forever to pick out 25 pieces of candy, but its good fun as it reminds me when I was there age.
It's nice to hear there's still some out there. Where I grew up we had 2 small country stores. One was about a mile down the road to the right of our home and the other was about 1-1/2 miles to the left. Both were owned by eldery people. We used to ride our bikes there at least twice a week. Baseball cards were a nickle a pack and both stores had the old Coke ice chest type refrigerators with the sodas burried in the ice. 15 cents for a soda. If you were fortunate to have 50 cents you could buy enough candy and a soda to have a sugar rush for days.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:16 AM   #20

Quote:

You can still run an engine on a stand in a garage.
Of course, we call the stand a LIFT!!!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Pete
Carolinaphotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote